News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

What do you REALLY believe?

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2008, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes what you Actually Believe about the Deity?

I worship some variation of the Christian / Jewish / Muslim God
Buddhist / Taoist / Eastern somethingorother
Agnostic -  I couldn't possibly know
Atheist - I believe in no gods
I believe in Eris as an entity but do not follow other Gods
I believe Eris is one of many Gods
I prefer not to define myself
I don't give a fuck about all that stuff
Something else not on this list

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 04, 2011, 08:07:53 PM
Guess what? I just read the entire thread!

So, Page 1 shows Rat not taking the poll "seriously", even after Cram shows intent to make this an honest poll.  Both ECH and Cain call out Rat on page 2, and both show honest intent.

At the end of page 2, Cram reveals the purpose of the poll—to find out if "irreligious" is really the best term to use, or if it's just dressed up Agnosticism/Atheism.  At this point, I would consider the first part of the thread over: The question is no longer out of context.

Rat continues to defend his nit-picking stance for several pages, in amongst additional honest answers from various posters.

I fully accept that I was an asshole focused on unnecessary pedantry at the beginning of this thread.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 04, 2011, 08:36:46 PM

So, Page 1 shows Rat not taking the poll "seriously", even after Cram shows intent to make this an honest poll.  Both ECH and Cain call out Rat on page 2, and both show honest intent.

At the end of page 2, Cram reveals the purpose of the poll—to find out if "irreligious" is really the best term to use, or if it's just dressed up Agnosticism/Atheism.  At this point, I would consider the first part of the thread over: The question is no longer out of context.

Rat continues to defend his nit-picking stance for several pages, in amongst additional honest answers from various posters.

I fully accept that I was an asshole focused on unnecessary pedantry at the beginning of this thread.

What were you focused on at the end of it???

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 08:38:45 PM

That's "different", for reasons that do not concern you or I.   :lulz:

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 08:41:20 PM

Oh is this one of those cosmic things?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

No, it's one of those "MY, THAT'S A MIGHTY BIG MOTE IN YOUR EYE.  WATCH OUT FOR THE BEAM STICKING OUT OF MY HEAD, AND I'LL JUST DIG RIGHT INTO YOUR EYEBALL THERE AND 'HELP YOU OUT'.  HOLD STILL!" things.

:lol:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 08:46:51 PM
Quote from: Khara on March 04, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

No, it's one of those "MY, THAT'S A MIGHTY BIG MOTE IN YOUR EYE.  WATCH OUT FOR THE BEAM STICKING OUT OF MY HEAD, AND I'LL JUST DIG RIGHT INTO YOUR EYEBALL THERE AND 'HELP YOU OUT'.  HOLD STILL!" things.

:lol:

Ah, I would have seen it but I moved out of my glass house.....   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, I can't control whether or not anyone likes what I have to say, or what people "copying me" have to say.  I can't control whether or not anyone leaves the board because I - or someone just like me - do not meet their standards of Discordianism.

Obviously, I CAN control how I act, and what I say...But I'm not going to start shitting unicorns and pink monkeys for the sake of people who feel that only one point of view is valid, or feel that everyone on the internet needs to be Emily fucking Post.

Bear in mind that *I* am not naming names.  I have no idea how accurate Cram's list is, or indeed if anyone has left due to me - or people like me - saying mean things in front of impressionable children and hippies.  I will not speak for anyone, because they can speak for themselves.

However, it occurs to me that many of the same people he mentioned are on IRC these days, where they...Idle.  AFK.  HELLO, ANYBODY HOME?  Which leads me to believe that perhaps the reason some of them left is that they are, well, DOING OTHER THINGS.  For one example, I refuse to believe that Burns left because he is weeping purple piss over the inhumanity here.  Burns has callouses on his eyeballs from dealing with ESF, and nothing here could possibly faze him.  Again, I could be wrong, he can speak for himself if he chooses to do so.

And as for Enki, well, let's just say that I wasn't the only one constantly pissed off by his consuming need to be wrong on just about every subject, to the extent of crashing every thread he posted on.

Next, I am utterly disinterested in whether or not this pisses anyone off.  Go fuck yourselves, if you're more worried about the size of the audience as opposed to the signal/noise ratio.  I don't know if he still feels this way, but I'm going to paraphrase ECH and say that I'd rather have 20 users posting quality content than 500 Discordian Kittens spouting pinealisms.

I blame myself for this mess, for a few reasons.  I forgot why I was writing (thinking it was a waste of time, which implies audience), I gave a momentary shit about Rat's opinion (a mistake I will not repeat, I assure you), and I posted in Principia Discussion.

So I tell you what.  I'm going to stay out of Principia Discussion, and leave it to the touchie-feely types that puke blood whenever anyone says anything bad, and we'll let SCIENCE do it's thing.  Think of it as the "shit in one hand, let a unicorn shit in the other, and see which one fills up fastest" experiment.

Or Fuck Me in the Eye Socket.

Phox

WOW. What the shit is this? ECH and LMNO are on the correct motorcycle.

Cram, I see your point. But, we are who we are. If some people feel like this is no longer the place for them, well that's their call. Sorry to see them go, but hey, this place does have a certain atmosphere. It is not for everyone.

Roger, in all honesty, Rat does bring up a point against you. Not that he isn't being a bit of a dick about it, but there is a certain level of hypocrisy to your responses to Discordian Kitty or whatever and how you were acting to Cram. Do I give a fuck? Not really. Everyone's a hypocrite about something. Except me. But I digress.

Aww... fuck it. You know what, you're all being whiny fucking babies. Get the fuck over it.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Cramulus on March 04, 2011, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on March 04, 2011, 05:51:12 PM
Well, a lot of people do get sick of it.  There haven't been as many ridiculously long flounces as of late, but I attribute that to mere addiction.

there actually have been a lot of silent flounces, or just decreased posting

I've talked to a lot of people over the last few months who feel like this place's vibe is not conclusive to the kinds of discussions/community they want to participate in. I am going to get myself in trouble for naming names, but off the top of my head - eve, burns, fred, badge, kel, enki, rumckle, net, cainad, captain fruitopia, ratatosk... definitely more.. All of them have mentioned to me how the negativity and shitting on others discourages them from posting. Or how they got frustrated that a potentially interesting thread was reduced to telling people why they're wrong or stupid. I also don't feel like it's something I can do anything about, talking about it tends to make people defensive, and frankly I'm already sorry for bringing it up.

Frutopia?  That besmirches the solemn dignity of my name  :argh!:

Well, I was hoping to stay out of this thread, and it would have passed me by altogether if it weren't for Uncle Charley.. but since my private thoughts have been used-by-proxy it would be cowardly not to say something.  I can't deal with drama.  Hell, I can't even troll for more than a little while before all the pretend drama gets to me.  I used to think I could deal with it, but then I noticed a strong correlation between drama and my not being as patient a husband and father as I want to be.  That sucks, but it's not a hard choice to make.

So now I avoid drama, by avoiding drama.  Okay, I went over that a little quick, so let me back up.  If there's some drama in a thread and my involvement isn't going to magically cure it - i.e. all of the fucking time - I just... avoid it.  No, no, I've rushed through that again haven't I?  Right so, I noticed that pretty much all of the fights and drama I got myself involved in here was... when I was busy complaining about the drama.

I am the people I was warning you about!

Two separate issues - Horrorology and Negativity.  Yeah, it pisses me off sometimes when a pet optimistic narrative gets crushed, but I don't see that as much a function of Negativity, as much as I do the pure strength of the writing that's been happening with The Spider Project and Horrorology.  A forum has bottlenecks and hubs through which concepts and ideas flow.  Can you have two strong opposing concepts in the same forum?  Maybe.  Can you develop them simultaneously?

Negativity.  Meh.  Forums flow.  I'll complain about it to anyone who'll listen when it gets bad.  That's how they flow.  I don't like dog-piling, but sometimes it is necessary.  But the reason I don't think I ever complained about Roger manning the Intro thread battlements is because without such efforts I think PD.com would be quickly overrun by a pineal horde.  Stabbity indeed.  It's a valued service, and I believe I said as much in our chat, Cram.

It's a complex, sensitive issue, which sprays more shit than a diarrhoetic drama llama, and exactly the sort I've been trying to avoid.

I only want to say one thing more - I haven't spoken to any other of The Named, but please don't assume anything about them based on this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 04, 2011, 10:21:26 PM
Not that he isn't being a bit of a dick about it, but there is a certain level of hypocrisy to your responses to Discordian Kitty

Not sorry.  I believe I've already stated my reasons for going after the fuckwit from MW, and I'm not going into it again. 

You may begin fucking my eyesocket at will.   :lulz:

Do me in the left one, though, my right one is my firing eye.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Captain Utopia on March 04, 2011, 10:58:56 PM
But the reason I don't think I ever complained about Roger manning the Intro thread battlements is because without such efforts I think PD.com would be quickly overrun by a pineal horde.  Stabbity indeed.  It's a valued service, and I believe I said as much in our chat, Cram.

And it's fun for the whole family!

The Good Reverend Roger

I gotta say, though, it's just like old times, being the subject of chat discusssions.

:digtbk:

TGRR,
Cheap, but not as cheap as your haircuts, opies!

Captain Utopia

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 11:13:09 PM
I gotta say, though, it's just like old times, being the subject of chat discusssions.

TGRR,

Worst mistake since I went to Cut Rate Cuts. :(
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on March 04, 2011, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2011, 11:13:09 PM

TGRR,

Worst mistake since I went to Cut Rate Cuts. :(

:lulz: