News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Book Club: Angel Tech

Started by Cramulus, August 05, 2009, 08:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

Kai,
Thanks for the excellent definition of "term". :)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Captain Utopia

If it were that obvious, to the point where it didn't warrant repetition, then it wouldn't be so easy to get hung up on particular terms?

Kai

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 09, 2009, 05:44:04 PM
If it were that obvious, to the point where it didn't warrant repetition, then it wouldn't be so easy to get hung up on particular terms?

I don't understand what you're asking.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Kai on August 09, 2009, 05:54:16 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on August 09, 2009, 05:44:04 PM

I don't understand what you're asking.
I guess it was more of a statement?

Since the newage terms do put off a lot of people, I think it is worth repetition of the definition of "term", so that readers are more likely to do the substitution you describe.. rather than just reject the meaning underneath the newage veneer.

Kai

People who inflect statements at the end as I  would a question annoy me.

That being said,

Term: a word or phrase with an unambiguous meaning within a particular context

In reading literature of many kinds, coming to terms is one of the most important parts of the analytical reading process.

Coming to terms: discovering what the authors terms are and what they mean via their particular context, thereby allowing you to replace them with your terms of the same meaning. The author's and readers terms become one, and thus a consensus of understanding is reached.

That is what I mean when I say coming to terms.

In angel tech there are many terms based in new age words and phrases that probably correspond well with terms that you are I as readers have. As Angel Tech is a practical work and not theoretical (practical works require action from agreement, while theoretical works don't require any action besides saying you agree; self help books are included under practical works), reading it is coming to terms with the author, figuring out whether you or I disagree or agree with the arguments, and then if we agree, integrating that information and putting it into action.

For more on the four levels of reading, coming to terms, pidgeonholeing a book and critiquing literature when you disagree with it, read How to Read a Book - Adler and van Doren. Probably one of the top three most useful books I've ever read. For a practical book that was written over 60 years ago it is still extremely useful, which says much about its overall value. Most of what I said above was a summary from it.

Anyway, enough of this threadjack.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

So, I just started reading it.  Only a few pages in, so I can't really comment yet, except to say I understand why people had a problem with the language, and I understand Kai's technique of getting around that. 

Hopefully, it will result in what RAW said in the intro, that this will be a clearer, more precise description of the model.

More to come.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 26, 2009, 01:25:48 PM
So, I just started reading it.  Only a few pages in, so I can't really comment yet, except to say I understand why people had a problem with the language, and I understand Kai's technique of getting around that. 

Hopefully, it will result in what RAW said in the intro, that this will be a clearer, more precise description of the model.

More to come.

That's what I found as well, I think Antero intentionally uses terms that you have to work around, rather than swallowing his book wholesale.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Well, that would pretty much ruin the "Clear and Consice" angle, wouldn't it?

I think he used those terms because he wanted New Agers to get tricked into reading it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 26, 2009, 04:22:06 PM

I think he used those terms because he wanted New Agers to get tricked into reading it.

Possibly  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 26, 2009, 04:31:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 26, 2009, 04:22:06 PM

Possibly  :lulz:
Didn't RAW do a similar thing with regards trying to appeal to paranoid conspiracy theorists?

Which group today would be most susceptible? Pagans have fantastic gullibility, but seem to mostly lack intellectual rigor..  :?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Cain

Kai

Glad this discussion is going.

If I chime in very little (now and over next 5 months) it is because I just took on a massive assistantship project in addition to two rigorous graduate courses and my thesis. I'll try to keep up with the book club though.