News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Authors and Playwrites

Started by Golden Applesauce, September 24, 2008, 05:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

If we divide reality into biological/physical (ie mediocristan) and sociological/constructed (extremistan) it actually does make a valid point.

How much of what we do is not a function of our physical world, but instead is convention and custom?  How much could you change, ignore or replace?

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2008, 08:09:36 PM
If we divide reality into biological/physical (ie mediocristan) and sociological/constructed (extremistan) it actually does make a valid point.

How much of what we do is not a function of our physical world, but instead is convention and custom?  How much could you change, ignore or replace?

I hear a door opening...

Dammit, I need more time to explore this!

Jasper

In my current thinking, it's got to do with the strange loop in causality that arises when mere matter achieves consciousness.

Quote from: Doug HofstaderThe most central and complex symbol in your brain or mine is the one we both call "I." The "I" is the nexus in our brain where the levels feed back into each other and flip causality upside down, with symbols seeming to have free will and to have gained the paradoxical ability to push particles around, rather than the reverse.  For each human being, this "I" seems to be the realest thing in the world. But how can such a mysterious abstraction be real--or is our "I" merely a convenient fiction? Does an "I" exert genuine power over the particles in our brain, or is it helplessly pushed around by the all-powerful laws of physics?

So it's probably a matter of how much consequential causality you want to take credit for as a semi-aware being.  Once the strange loop is aware it's a strange loop, anything can happen.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Felix on September 25, 2008, 04:46:32 AM

In my current thinking, it's got to do with the strange loop in causality that arises when mere matter achieves consciousness.

Quote from: Doug HofstaderThe most central and complex symbol in your brain or mine is the one we both call "I." The "I" is the nexus in our brain where the levels feed back into each other and flip causality upside down, with symbols seeming to have free will and to have gained the paradoxical ability to push particles around, rather than the reverse.  For each human being, this "I" seems to be the realest thing in the world. But how can such a mysterious abstraction be real--or is our "I" merely a convenient fiction? Does an "I" exert genuine power over the particles in our brain, or is it helplessly pushed around by the all-powerful laws of physics?

So it's probably a matter of how much consequential causality you want to take credit for as a semi-aware being.  Once the strange loop is aware it's a strange loop, anything can happen.

Both GEB and The Mind's I should be required reading for all students ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Abramelin

Quote from: LMNO on September 24, 2008, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Abramelin on September 24, 2008, 09:45:39 AM
I find this an interesting thought

It doesn't look like solipsism for me, although it's near that. It doesn't say that everything out their is only you imagination, it says that your view is influenced and changed, the things are changed for you just because you think about them.I agree to that.

The Author... maybe it means that you're acting and not only reacting (on environment and/or your feelings) ?

That reeks of THE SECRET®.
it does, or better the other way round, SECRET smells like this.

I think especially that's the point about THE SECRET, it isn't wrong really. Totally wrong is the way of explaining in THE SECRET, and how the people behind make money out of it.

I think the one big problem (r) with that kind of stuff like THE SECRET and other things in this area and round esoterism (also mental training) is, from my point of view, that it isn't wrong. But presented and teached in way which seems to me so wrong that because of it The Whole Thing (r) became pointless bullshit or even dangerous.

LMNO

I will honor the 50-post suggestion, and ask that you explain yourself, and the idea that The Secret™ is based upon, comprehensively and thoroughly. 

Including a section that explains the physical mechanics of this would be helpful as well.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: LMNO on September 30, 2008, 07:07:52 PM
I will honor the 50-post suggestion, and ask that you explain yourself, and the idea that The Secret™ is based upon, comprehensively and thoroughly. 

Including a section that explains the physical mechanics of this would be helpful as well.

:lulz:

I see where this is going...
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

Payne

I look forward to this essay.

~~~Payne: Knows not The Secret™

Iason Ouabache

:popcorn:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I was hoping this would go somewhere... the last post could be interpreted to support the general "filters" concept, but I'm not sure.

LMNO

I do have a theory why The Secret™ seems to work, I just wanted to hear Abra's take on it.

Cain

Is that a theory of why The Secret works or why people think it works or why its such a successful sell?

Because I have ideas on all 3 of those, which I shall not repeat now.

LMNO

Well, it's mainly a theory why it appears to work.  But that can tie into the other points you bring up.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on October 03, 2008, 03:27:54 PM
Well, it's mainly a theory why it appears to work.  But that can tie into the other points you bring up.

I wonder how closely our theories align... ;-)