News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo: pre-thoughts

Started by LMNO, October 04, 2008, 05:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

so, for the scribblers- questions about nanowrimo itt.

Mine... Including descriptions of personal relationships; too much hassle to include?

Cain

I would say it depends on the context of your novel.  You've got 50,000 words to play with, and depending on what you are aiming for (you're not doing the De Sade tribute again right) it could work.

Writing tip:  I find indirect methods of conveying relationships tend to work better.  For example, in conversation, let a character refer to a past event which highlights an aspect of the relationship, as an off the cuff remark.  Or write the scene as to suggest their relationship, visually, again using subtext to get your point across.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on October 04, 2008, 11:40:18 AM
I would say it depends on the context of your novel.  You've got 50,000 words to play with, and depending on what you are aiming for (you're not doing the De Sade tribute again right) it could work.

Writing tip:  I find indirect methods of conveying relationships tend to work better.  For example, in conversation, let a character refer to a past event which highlights an aspect of the relationship, as an off the cuff remark.  Or write the scene as to suggest their relationship, visually, again using subtext to get your point across.

link?

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 04, 2008, 11:40:18 AM

Yeah, to me that falls under "show, don't tell"; but my question more related to, "should I dissect my thoughts and feelings on my relationships in a story that they might actually read?"

Sometimes when I autowrite, I get all introspective and self-critical about my life and the people I interact with.  It's an easy way to get my word count up, but I don't really want to have the "how could you say that about me?" talk with the various people I know.

I guess I just answered my own question, huh?

Quote from: Burns on October 04, 2008, 06:17:21 PM
link?

Wow, that takes me back.  I only got up to 7200 words, and it's a total hack job, but if you want to read it, here:

http://mihd.net/d7hnc6i

hooplala

I have a little piece (no more than 200 words) I was thinking of using as the first page of my nano book... so, is this cheating? 

The piece is on here somewhere, I think it was called About the Crumbs...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Technically yes, but 200 words is like 5 sentences, so I don't think it's gonna matter much.

I think what I'm gonna try are episodic stream of thought rambles, to get the ball rolling, and later try to tie them together in a Law of Fives way.

I know how the first one will start, anyway.

hooplala

I think this will be fun... I don't know why I never participated before.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

If you are going to write about people you already know and they may see it, I strongly recommend disguising who they are heavily, because either

a) they will be upset with their portrayal, or
b) they will be upset that they were not included.

Hoops, what really matters is if you feel it is cheating.  I intend to write up alot about my characters and intended plot, setting etc before the start of the month, but not actually commit a word of my final draft to paper (or, in this case, nanowrimo1.doc file) until the start date.  There is no way they can know, or penalize you, so its up to what you feel comfortable with.

hooplala

Yeah I guess I don't think it will be cheating, because I plan to use it only as a springboard.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

RunsWithScissors

If I were remotely good at prose, I would participate.  However, it baffles me. 

I think that I lack the attention span for prose. I want to see the De Sade Tribute though.
Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.  Then, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

LMNO

It's in the above link.

Please keep in mind that the idea was essentially the same as my later HP slashfic trolls; that the story eventually becomes horrible beyond comprehension.  I wasn't even one-fifth of the way through, so it's only at the point of "overly unpleasant".

The reason I never finished?  I started grossing myself out while outlining the plot.

Cain

Here is a copy of Chris Baty's No Plot, No Problem!, the book he wrote to help NaNoWriMo writers finish their work.  Its in .djvu format, so I've included readers for both Mac's and Windows.

http://mihd.net/7cqgu4p

Cain

Suu

Excellent. I'm going to start logging crazy ideas I have for this so when November 1st hits I have an idea...or several...to run with.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Not surprisingly, the first chapter of mine will be called "He Woke Up In Prison".