News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Art and Bad People

Started by Salty, June 15, 2014, 08:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2014, 07:13:02 AM
A lot of artists also seem to (uncritically) accept the role of transgression in creativity too, which can sometimes lead them onto...questionable paths, especially if they are already quite troubled people.

Yes, I'd have to agree with that. I think that artists seem to often embrace the idea that their creativity makes them exempt from common decency, in a way not too dissimilar from the ways aristocracy also often concludes that their privilege exempts them from social mores.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

B̵̷̤̯̖͈̭̏̒̕Ȇ̢̢̩̲͇̮̮͖̣̌N̛̯̦͎͉̗̦͒̓̀̆̈̄ͣ͢͞ ̧͖̦̲͔̬̹͊̓́͟M̻͎̬̎̉ͫͤ̈͊ͧ̋͝Ȃ͔͖̐̿̋̊͋͘͢͞C̶̈̃͂ͤ̋̓ͪ̒҉̥̩͕̳̩̠͉K̶̜̟̙̱̜̠̪͑͒̿̎ͩ͘
͓̤͍̟̩̈͒̔͝
̳̫͉͕̺͂́̋̕H̲̦́̾̂Ę̸̪̹̠͔͇͖̌ͤ̒̒̉͌ ̴̥̲̱̙̯̂ͦ͛͜ͅC̷̻͓̻̖̟͕ͥ̾Ō̶̫͔͓̦͕͎̅̄̿ͣ͑M͓̯̮͈ͫͮ͆̄͌͑̿ͩE̛̗̻̰̼̗͕͖̿͒ͪ̀S̡͕̟͈̀ͥ̊͛̕̕

Cramulus

YOU REMEMBER WHEN BEN MACK TOLD US THAT WE SHOULDN'T JUDGE THE NARRATOR IN POKER WITHOUT CARDS TOO HARSHLY BECAUSE IT WAS ACTUALLY HIM?

THROUGHOUT THAT BOOK HE PUSHED SEVERAL PEOPLE INTO SUICIDE AND THEN LATER BRAGGED ABOUT HIS PERSUASIVE SUPERPOWERS

THAT CHARACTER SUCKED; THAT AUTHOR SUCKED; THAT BOOK SUCKED

Faust

For the love of god don't say Ben Mack one more time or he will appear!
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Raz Tech

I love me some artsy horror flicks.
I also HATE me some animal abuse.
There's ways to do it that aren't so bad.  You've got stuffed animals, of the cotton variety and the straw/sand variety.  Nowadays you have CGI.  Either way, it's uncomfortable to watch, but you still have that knowledge that it isn't quite real.  Then you have the balls ass crazy "artists" who say "you know what, fuck it.  let's just do this for real".  I have no respect for these people, and it pretty much just ruins movies.

Back in the 80's Italian people decided that they were going to become arbitrarily obsessed with found-footage movies about cannibals native to Africa.  Two of the more prominent ones were Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox.  Both of these were about people wandering into the jungle to create documentaries about cannibal tribes.  Both of these movies also included real animal deaths.  In Holocaust you see natives eating monkey brains and in Ferox you see natives eating a turtle.  These are somewhat less terrible in that it is something the natives would do naturally, without interference from the film makers.  Perhaps this speaks to the differences in society between us "civilized" folk and these "un-civilized" natives.  There's also a few movies I can think of where they showed animals being butchered and cleaned for consumption.  Even this isn't terrible, because while it isn't something you would normally be exposed to, however it is something that you are probably at least somewhat aware of taking place.

Then you have the terrible people who make movies like Melancholie der Engel, a French horror movie that came about in 2009(iirc).  This is one of those movies that is absolutely sickening for absolutely no reason.  There is too much animal cruelty to even list, and thinking about the movie makes me sick.  It hardly contributes to the plot, and exists purely for the shock value of it.  It was never art. It was just sadism.  The worst part is that probably the only reason anyone heard about the movie is because it's so disguting.  I can't watch any of his other stuff anymore.  He made a movie, Cannibal, a few years before this, and it was actually decent. I can't watch it anymore.  His very existence as a person makes me ill and has destroyed my taste for anything he has ever done.

Even the Holocaust and Ferox people couldn't resist randomly harming other animals for no good reason.  It's a disgusting display.

minuspace

Quote.  In Holocaust you see natives eating monkey brains
Crazy thing is, were you ever to find yourself there, in all likelihood it would occasion a ceremonial feast where the most disrespectful thing would be to refuse the (offal) offering.

minuspace

Quote from: Cramulus on June 23, 2014, 01:27:09 PM
B̵̷̤̯̖͈̭̏̒̕Ȇ̢̢̩̲͇̮̮͖̣̌N̛̯̦͎͉̗̦͒̓̀̆̈̄ͣ͢͞ ̧͖̦̲͔̬̹͊̓́͟M̻͎̬̎̉ͫͤ̈͊ͧ̋͝Ȃ͔͖̐̿̋̊͋͘͢͞C̶̈̃͂ͤ̋̓ͪ̒҉̥̩͕̳̩̠͉K̶̜̟̙̱̜̠̪͑͒̿̎ͩ͘
͓̤͍̟̩̈͒̔͝
̳̫͉͕̺͂́̋̕H̲̦́̾̂Ę̸̪̹̠͔͇͖̌ͤ̒̒̉͌ ̴̥̲̱̙̯̂ͦ͛͜ͅC̷̻͓̻̖̟͕ͥ̾Ō̶̫͔͓̦͕͎̅̄̿ͣ͑M͓̯̮͈ͫͮ͆̄͌͑̿ͩE̛̗̻̰̼̗͕͖̿͒ͪ̀S̡͕̟͈̀ͥ̊͛̕̕

See whAt you did?

The Johnny

Quote from: LuciferX on June 24, 2014, 08:44:45 AM
Crazy thing is, were you ever to find yourself there, in all likelihood it would occasion a ceremonial feast where the most disrespectful thing would be to refuse the (offal) offering.

wow
much bondings
very taste
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Raz Tech

But afterwards you wouldn't wander around arbitrarily killing snakes and muskrat.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Johnny on June 24, 2014, 05:45:41 PM

wow
much bondings
very taste

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

minuspace

Quote from: Net (+1 Hidden) and 5 guests on June 25, 2014, 03:56:15 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on June 24, 2014, 05:45:41 PM

wow
much bondings
very taste

:lulz:

So
How very brothers
Grim rate.

minuspace

Quote from: Raz Tech on June 24, 2014, 06:49:37 PM
But afterwards you wouldn't wander around arbitrarily killing snakes and muskrat.
Muskrat should take care of the snake - otherwise I take two intwined at a time, yes :lulz:
(never got passed the first scene - very credit)

The Johnny

Some "trve metul grrl" recommended this to me. I still dont understand whyt its a holocaust of cannibals. Yellow print all over it.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

My understanding is that it's a reference to/satire on the senationalist Italian media and their portrayal of Red Brigade terrorism at the time.  Using "holocaust" to describe the violence is in keeping with their usual hyperbolic tone.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on June 25, 2014, 02:55:03 PM
My understanding is that it's a reference to/satire on the senationalist Italian media and their portrayal of Red Brigade terrorism at the time.  Using "holocaust" to describe the violence is in keeping with their usual hyperbolic tone.
The Italian Media, with the possible exception of Rete-Quatro's daytime programing, now submit to the requirement that the news be delivered with objective disinterestedness and according to standard journalistic guidelines.  The one thing that you can't force them them to do is chose the right fucking stories.