News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

I did this for you

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 23, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

As an addendum to my post, I have a hard time getting rid of something if someone else gave it to me as a gift. It could be completely useless, but then it becomes a memento of both myself and the giver at the time it passed into my possession. It takes on, for lack of a better term, a spirit. It's ridiculous, because it's just a thing. But even if it's utterly useless it might still make you smirk from time to time. I don't want more of that. I'd feel bad if I ever had to get rid of it, but the fact is what I want at this point in life is stuff I need: Socks. Beer. Kitchen tools. I bought myself a measuring cup and I was annoyed, because it was becoming necessary for me to buy a measuring cup, and I didn't want to have to buy it. If someone bought me that instead of some sort of, I dunno, a little dragon statue, it would have been really helpful. Sure dragons are cool and they were my high school mascot, but what am I going to do with a bunch of little dragon statuettes? Actually, I might make that a thing now. If you get me something useful, I'm going to do or make something with it for the both of us and we can have a fun time with it. Get me a sack of turnips and I'll make dinner. Get me a bottle of cheap vodka and we'll try to find ways to make it taste good together.  Get me some sort of biological tool, and we'll do an experiment. Unless it's socks. Can't really share something like that. You can, but you probably don't want to.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on September 26, 2014, 03:10:42 AM
As an addendum to my post, I have a hard time getting rid of something if someone else gave it to me as a gift. It could be completely useless, but then it becomes a memento of both myself and the giver at the time it passed into my possession. It takes on, for lack of a better term, a spirit. It's ridiculous, because it's just a thing. But even if it's utterly useless it might still make you smirk from time to time. I don't want more of that. I'd feel bad if I ever had to get rid of it, but the fact is what I want at this point in life is stuff I need: Socks. Beer. Kitchen tools. I bought myself a measuring cup and I was annoyed, because it was becoming necessary for me to buy a measuring cup, and I didn't want to have to buy it. If someone bought me that instead of some sort of, I dunno, a little dragon statue, it would have been really helpful. Sure dragons are cool and they were my high school mascot, but what am I going to do with a bunch of little dragon statuettes? Actually, I might make that a thing now. If you get me something useful, I'm going to do or make something with it for the both of us and we can have a fun time with it. Get me a sack of turnips and I'll make dinner. Get me a bottle of cheap vodka and we'll try to find ways to make it taste good together.  Get me some sort of biological tool, and we'll do an experiment. Unless it's socks. Can't really share something like that. You can, but you probably don't want to.
Quote from: Ragret on September 23, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
*SNIP*
Polite people suffer the most under this kind of attack, complete and utter bastards do fine.
You are too polite.
Be the bastard you were born to be.
The Rage is there, you've just misplaced it. (hint: it is in the annoyance bin.)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

hooplala

Quote from: Your Mom on September 25, 2014, 10:47:03 PM
I have taken to immediately regifting almost everything given to me.

How is it different when you give the gifts?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Your Mom on September 25, 2014, 10:42:22 PM
Quote from: Ragret on September 25, 2014, 10:06:42 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
Gifts become property and property needs to be looked after.
Therefore unwanted gifts are an attack on your well-being. Take revenge, give them a worse gift, for example the gift you just received but now on fire.

Polite people suffer the most under this kind of attack, complete and utter bastards do fine.

:lulz:
Don't laugh!! The first and last line are a pretty accurate description of my position on  unwanted gifts (I.E. most of them). The fire bit never actually happened. Well... not on purpose.

Oh no, I was laughing because it's also how I feel about 99.9% of gifts.
<3
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ragret on September 26, 2014, 04:35:48 AM
*SNIP*
You are too polite.
The Rage is there, you've just misplaced it. (hint: it is in the annoyance bin.)

I recognize that, but I'm not annoyed that they got me something useless. I just get annoyed that they didn't get me something useful. I'm happy that they were thoughtful enough to think of me and say Kevin would get a kick out of this- and I do. But when I need an implement, I'm like, wish Santa got me one of those.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on September 26, 2014, 04:45:37 AM
*SNIP*
You are too polite.

I recognize that, but I'm not annoyed that they got me something useless. I just get annoyed that they didn't get me something useful. I'm happy that they were thoughtful enough to think of me and say Kevin would get a kick out of this- and I do. But when I need an implement, I'm like, wish Santa got me one of those.
so they are acting like meth-dealers then.
They give you something that gives you a fleeting mental/emotional 'kick' that has very long lasting negative effects.
The lack of potatomasher will come back to haunt you until you pay to have that problem fixed (not unlike paying for a psychiatrist) while the kick you get out of the dragon lasts at most a day and you will have to lug it with you everytime you move. insure it against damage, protect it from accidents and theft and all in all be a mayor drain on your resources.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Ragret on September 26, 2014, 04:51:40 AM
*SNIP*
You are too polite.

They give you something that gives you a fleeting mental/emotional 'kick' that has very long lasting negative effects.
The lack of potatomasher will come back to haunt you until you pay to have that problem fixed (not unlike paying for a psychiatrist) while the kick you get out of the dragon lasts at most a day and you will have to lug it with you everytime you move. insure it against damage, protect it from accidents and theft and all in all be a mayor drain on your resources.

The analogy is a bit strong but I see where you're coming from.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: V3X on September 26, 2014, 02:53:48 AM
When people ask what I want for my birthday or Chrstmas, I always ask for something completely impossible, like FIVE GODDAMN MINUTES OF PEACE AND QUIET. As a result I rarely have to deal with the problem of receiving unwanted gifts.

I ask for yarn. I get yarn and a pattern to make something with said yarn for the person who bought the yarn.

I say we start burning holidays down, one by one, until the masses give in to our demands for gifts that don't suck and aren't found in Wal-Mart for $9.99 plus $.05 for a god damn bow.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 04:59:40 PM
So, I guess, assume that both the giver and the recipient are fully-realized adult human beings who are completely capable of taking care of themselves. The gift is unasked-for and unwanted. Is it for the giver, or for the recipient?

In that case, it's just a mistake. The object will be retained by the giver, the attempt at giving a gift failed.

However, the premise is totally preposterous. Two fully realized adult human beings? In the same place, at the same time? hm
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

minuspace

Quote from: Dodo Argentino on September 26, 2014, 06:23:31 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 04:59:40 PM
So, I guess, assume that both the giver and the recipient are fully-realized adult human beings who are completely capable of taking care of themselves. The gift is unasked-for and unwanted. Is it for the giver, or for the recipient?

In that case, it's just a mistake. The object will be retained by the giver, the attempt at giving a gift failed.

However, the premise is totally preposterous. Two fully realized adult human beings? In the same place, at the same time? hm
Yea, it's not a gift that you pay them to leave :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on September 26, 2014, 04:39:48 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 25, 2014, 10:47:03 PM
I have taken to immediately regifting almost everything given to me.

How is it different when you give the gifts?

It's not fundamentally different, because I am gifting them to get rid of them. OTOH, I don't expect the recipients to be grateful.

Generally I say "Hey I got this thing I don't want, do you want it?" and that gives my intended recipient the chance to say "No, thanks", and then I take it to Goodwill. Has the added benefit of making it clear that I don't anticipate gratitude, as if they do want it, they are doing me the favor of taking it off my hands.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on September 26, 2014, 04:59:27 AM
Quote from: Ragret on September 26, 2014, 04:51:40 AM
*SNIP*
You are too polite.

The analogy is a bit strong but I see where you're coming from.
I know.
I did that on purpose.
Are you entertained yet? I am.

Nephew Twiddleton

Reginald Ret