News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, I got a successful registration, and was informed that an email was sent.  Never received.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

And now I can't access my account to check if the email addy was correct, because I don't get a password until the email is sent, so rather than just being held from the forum, I am not allowed to see my account at all.

This is fucked.   :lulz:  Why the fuck is registration set up that way?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

thewake

Apparently it's a problem with google rejecting the emails.

Thanks for pointing out this problem XD
"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: thewake on October 26, 2015, 03:10:01 AM
Apparently it's a problem with google rejecting the emails.

Thanks for pointing out this problem XD

Again, it would be nice to be able to see my account so that I could ensure I didn't make a typo in the email address.

Cain

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Found this completely by accident while trying to find a list of the books in Elvis Presleys personal library.

http://www.elvislightedcandle.org/signsymbwonders/mystical.html

The Good Reverend Roger

thewake

I'll tell you all when the registration is no longer fucked
--H. L. Mencken

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on October 25, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on October 25, 2015, 07:21:10 PM
Does anyone know about nvidia (fancy that:) graphics cards?  The last time I was in the market for one of these things I was looking at a Cirrus Logic board, and things seem to have changed somewhat since then.  I think that what I'm after here is RAM, like around 8gigs on the GPU.  Are we there yet, or is the price going to be unreasonable?

An 8 gig graphics card?  It probably exists...somewhere.  Either that or you'd have to hook up two GTX 980's together, SLI style, which wouldn't exactly be cheap.

If you're looking for a good graphics card, which probably won't need updating for a few years but is also reasonably priced, I'd suggest the GTX 780ti.  It's got more than enough grunt for existing games, though you probably wont be running Assassin's Creed: Unity on ultra settings or anything.

Thank you.  I'm running a GTX 660 on this set I'm borrowing ATM and its 500 MB won't cut the muster.  It's PCIe so I may be able upgrade on board, though I have a feeling it may have to stay within 600 series (I may also be wrong).  The other option I was thinking was going outboard, maybe with 2 PCI external slots.  Costs then probably becoming untenable.

There is one point that may be to my advantage, that this is not for high performance gaming: I don't need 4k * 32bit * 120 fps.  It's for what they call "scientific computation" and it's many times more faster on a GPU than CPU.  The only thing is that I have to load lots of data ~= 6GB while still having room to load some more functions (a 250 MB model will crash my 500 mb GPU)

The feeling I get is that this is going to have to be once more a purchase indefinitively deferred.  It was fun to be had again (feelings on the subject actually still unclear).

minuspace

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 26, 2015, 07:18:07 AM
Found this completely by accident while trying to find a list of the books in Elvis Presleys personal library.

IIRC, he also had a personal personal-library, and I have a feeling that's what you may be after.  If so, what you are looking for is the cache of books that he lugged around in a trunk everywhere he went, containing his arsenal of mystic volumes of which he was well, quite fond.

Cain

Quote from: LuciferX on October 26, 2015, 07:30:53 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 25, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on October 25, 2015, 07:21:10 PM
Does anyone know about nvidia (fancy that:) graphics cards?  The last time I was in the market for one of these things I was looking at a Cirrus Logic board, and things seem to have changed somewhat since then.  I think that what I'm after here is RAM, like around 8gigs on the GPU.  Are we there yet, or is the price going to be unreasonable?

An 8 gig graphics card?  It probably exists...somewhere.  Either that or you'd have to hook up two GTX 980's together, SLI style, which wouldn't exactly be cheap.

If you're looking for a good graphics card, which probably won't need updating for a few years but is also reasonably priced, I'd suggest the GTX 780ti.  It's got more than enough grunt for existing games, though you probably wont be running Assassin's Creed: Unity on ultra settings or anything.

Thank you.  I'm running a GTX 660 on this set I'm borrowing ATM and its 500 MB won't cut the muster.  It's PCIe so I may be able upgrade on board, though I have a feeling it may have to stay within 600 series (I may also be wrong).  The other option I was thinking was going outboard, maybe with 2 PCI external slots.  Costs then probably becoming untenable.

There is one point that may be to my advantage, that this is not for high performance gaming: I don't need 4k * 32bit * 120 fps.  It's for what they call "scientific computation" and it's many times more faster on a GPU than CPU.  The only thing is that I have to load lots of data ~= 6GB while still having room to load some more functions (a 250 MB model will crash my 500 mb GPU)

The feeling I get is that this is going to have to be once more a purchase indefinitively deferred.  It was fun to be had again (feelings on the subject actually still unclear).

I had a GTX 660 and upgraded to the 980.  The only real limiting factor would be the power supply unit, if it is 500W, like most PSUs designed for graphics cards over the last few years, then it won't be able to handle a 980.  A 970 or 780, however, should be fine (would need to double check for the 780ti, but I think that would also be good).

A local hardware store might be able to set up a dual 780ti SLI for a reasonable-ish price and that would give you an 8 gig GPU.  It wouldn't be super cheap, and you'd probably need other purchases to make it work, but they could definitely do it for you and, if you timed your purchases right and have no pressing need for it, may be able to get most of the goods when they are on sale.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: LuciferX on October 26, 2015, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 26, 2015, 07:18:07 AM

IIRC, he also had a personal personal-library, and I have a feeling that's what you may be after.  If so, what you are looking for is the cache of books that he lugged around in a trunk everywhere he went, containing his arsenal of mystic volumes of which he was well, quite fond.

What sparked it was reading an article on Manly P Hall that mentioned Elvis was a fan. So I knew Elvis was into spiritual/new age kind of stuff, I just didnt expect the rabbit hole to be this deep.

QuoteLarry witnessed Elvis' healing power in action:
"We were on a bus when he saw a man fall into the gutter with a heart attack. Elvis stopped the bus and I watched as he put his hand on the man's chest. The man said, 'It's you, it's you,' and just got up."

QuoteFrom the phone transcripts:

Wanda: You are really into all of that - spiritualism type of things, huh?

Elvis: What-no! Not spiritualism - spiritual development, soul growth and learning to develop the powers we all have lying innate. I'm not a conjure of spirits. I don't have to, but I am not of this world, either. I know that, I know who I am. I am a man, a human being now, but what is 'me' is not from here. I am from out there. Did you ever hear of Rigel? (a star in the constellation of Orion.)

Wanda: No, is it a country or a person?

Elvis: A place, my home is near there - my other home - where I am from, and I have the Blue Star for my sun. I have eight moons and a mansion beneath the outer shell of my planet. You think I'm making this up, but its true - you'll know that one day. You'll remember what I told you - before you die - you'll see some of it happen, and you'll be involved because you and I are tied together and you don't know it but I do. I can't tell you how - I don't remember it, but I feel it in my heart, in my inner self, and so do you. Why else are we talking about this? Why are you here? Why am I? I care about you because you are a part of my past as I am yours, and together it makes that tie in this life. Because of you and me things will happen - people will do things and have opinions and change minds and perhaps be more content, happier because of you and me knowing each other...that is life.

thewake

Quote from: thewake on October 26, 2015, 03:26:47 PM
I'll tell you all when the registration is no longer fucked
If you all try to sign up again it should work.

Apparently Google is shitty to other mail servers.
--H. L. Mencken

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Is there some insurance you can take out on yourself if you happen to slap some shit due to disrespect?