News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Xaz on November 20, 2015, 09:09:27 AM
Quote from: President Television on November 19, 2015, 11:58:07 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 19, 2015, 09:38:35 PM
So, my testing for recording seems all good.  OBS is definitely the way to go, it records with almost no impact and with half the file size of the other methods, and because it doesn't use a variable framerate or weird encoding system it doesn't spazz out.

So, that means, before I start recording Skyrim gameplay again, I have questions; I will be using the Requiem overhaul, for more interesting gameplay.

Do you want to see survivalism gameplay?  Namely, hypothermia, realistic needs and hunting?  There are mods for this, but I'm waiting for the patches to be updated for the latest version, as the new Frostfall mod has significant performance improvements over the currently patched version.  This will mean the possibility of freezing to death, starving to death etc.

Secondly, what kind of character would you be interested in.  I have a couple of ideas, and I'm pretty open to any of them, as all should be end-game viable.  Basically, your choices are nightblade (stealth and magic), paladin (shiny armor and good magic) or spellblade (fire magic and conjuration and swords). I'll come up with backstories and motivations later.

Spellblade looks most fun to watch, though nightblade could also be fun if your mods add interesting Illusion spells. I dunno about the survivalism, though. While I imagine it adds depth to gameplay, it's probably tedious to a passive viewer. Unless you can really fill time with your commentary, I think I'd advise against it.

I also vote spellblade as I feel the nightblade is a much more commonly-played archetype. I would be interested in seeing how conjuration works throughout the game.

Survivalism could be interesting - like P.T. said though, as long as you can fill all the chopping/hunting/freezing to death with commentary (or edits?)

To be honest, most Requiem players seem to either gravitate to full mage, or some kind of warrior (barbarian, usually.  Light armour + two handed = able to dish damage up close like nothing else, has the speed to close the gap with mages and archers), or the full on battlemage for end-game play.  There is a heavy armour set, specially added in by the mod makers, designed for battlemage classes, but it's a hell of a quest to get it all.  It involves lots of Dwemer dungeon delving, which as I have experienced, is dangerous as fuck.  The old Dragonborn patch, for 1.7.3, was basically balanced around being a level 50+ Battlemage, so end-game content was pretty effectively locked off (that version is now, unfortunately, obsolete. There is another patch but it's not as in depth or hardcore as the changes to the base game or Dawnguard DLC).  I suspect Nightblade isnt as popular because while stealth is pretty powerful against humanoid enemies, once properly levelled, it does nothing for fighting undead, dwemer or dragons, and people would rather put their perk points elsewhere.

I considered adding my own class, the Dunmer Reclamations Knight, into the mix, but I'm still figuring out some of the tweaks for that.  Because it would involve roleplaying a Dunmer crusader for the Three Good Daedra, it would mean reclaiming their artifacts.  Using the Ebony Mail and Ebony Blade would, in essence, involve creating a stealth based, heavy armour using, two handed weapon (which would also require Block) character which would likely also need Alchemy and some form of ranged attack (Destruction?  Archery?) into the mix.  In other words, a mess. 

Cain

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on November 20, 2015, 05:12:10 PM
Do you want to see survivalism gameplay?  Namely, hypothermia, realistic needs and hunting?  There are mods for this, but I'm waiting for the patches to be updated for the latest version, as the new Frostfall mod has significant performance improvements over the currently patched version.  This will mean the possibility of freezing to death, starving to death etc.

Secondly, what kind of character would you be interested in.  I have a couple of ideas, and I'm pretty open to any of them, as all should be end-game viable.  Basically, your choices are nightblade (stealth and magic), paladin (shiny armor and good magic) or spellblade (fire magic and conjuration and swords). I'll come up with backstories and motivations later.

I would say Nightblade, as I'm a sucker for the stealth classes, but if it is deemed too overused, I would go with spell blade, both since it would likely be really interesting and to remind myself to branch outside of stealth once in a while.

As for survivalism, while I am on console, so no mods for me, I am interested to see the depth it adds and its affects on the rest of gameplay, so go for it

Some Youtube videos: Hunterborn and Frostfall.  The Hunterborn one is quite out of date, the alchemy and equipment overhaul it provides is now quite extensive.

The idea with a Spellblade would be to use Destruction at range, Conjuration for Tanks, Alteration and Light Armor for defence, swords for melee.  Probably also a bit of alchemy and enchanting, but I have a mod, Honed Metal, which allows me to approach NPCs to do my crafting and enchanting for me, provided with the right materials and enough money (much like Morrowind). 

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2015, 06:15:03 PM

I would say Nightblade, as I'm a sucker for the stealth classes, but if it is deemed too overused, I would go with spell blade, both since it would likely be really interesting and to remind myself to branch outside of stealth once in a while.

As for survivalism, while I am on console, so no mods for me, I am interested to see the depth it adds and its affects on the rest of gameplay, so go for it

Some Youtube videos: Hunterborn and Frostfall.  The Hunterborn one is quite out of date, the alchemy and equipment overhaul it provides is now quite extensive.

The idea with a Spellblade would be to use Destruction at range, Conjuration for Tanks, Alteration and Light Armor for defence, swords for melee.  Probably also a bit of alchemy and enchanting, but I have a mod, Honed Metal, which allows me to approach NPCs to do my crafting and enchanting for me, provided with the right materials and enough money (much like Morrowind).

Both of them definitely really neat, particularly Frostfall. One of these days/years I'll have to get a computer worth playing games on again. Not that it's the only thing I took away from it, but I do really like the option of being rescued and taken *somewhere* when over exposed rather than the basic die and reload.

Playing as a Spellblade does sound like it could be pretty fun/interesting, again, wanting to try to branch out from my usual character.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Cain

I'll probably go for a more hardcore option, but I'll see exactly what has changed in 3.0.  In the earlier versions, you could set a percentage chance to be rescued, with the variable being if you were travelling with a follower or not.  Hunterborn, while maybe not as visually flashy or fun as Frostfall, was basically built to bridge the gap between Frostfall and basic needs mods, like Realistic Needs and Diseases, or iNeed,  It provided tools and equipment to allow for hunting and cooking while in the wilds, and gave bonuses to the newly added foods to help with exposure or other negative effects from the cold.

Though playing a Spellblade or Nightblade will mean setting fire in the wilds won't be an issue :D

Cain

Pæs

That was a great piece. People I've linked to your "History of IS" piece have really enjoyed it, too.

Cain

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2015, 06:15:03 PM

Frostfall is currently, save or don't, IIRC, and it doesn't currently seem to recognize cloaks and scarves added by other mods that it used to. It feel like it's a whole lot harder to stay warm.

Cain

Bleh, that sucks.

I might have to stick with 2.6 in that case.  It's a bit of a resource hog, but I did some stress tests recording with it, and it wasn't impacting too badly on anything.  Although, the author of the patch I'm going to use has also patched the cloaks mods for Requiem too, so maybe he can make them work together effectively on his own. 

Still, I liked the random chance to freeze to death or be saved :(

Aucoq

Quote from: Cain on November 20, 2015, 10:23:31 PM
OK, the article I wrote is here.

Fantastic article, Cain. I'm sharing it with everyone I know.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Cain

LMNO

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Freeky

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."