News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Arguments About Turtles, All the Way Down

Started by Cain, August 09, 2014, 07:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on October 21, 2014, 03:11:57 PM
Quote from: a somewhat wiser Joe. on October 21, 2014, 02:36:45 PM
Clash of Clans is a most fiendish and addictive time waster. I'm hooked and getting pretty good at it.
It only took me like 10 days of obsessive playing!

Gonna catch up on the scuttlebutt ITT as my day goes on.  I'm at the point where upgrades take 12 hrs to a couple days. Like a war game combined with bonsai. I dig it, but now it's pretty much long term building strategy and occasional raiding fits for wall money.

I'm saving up for my Level 3 dragon upgrade right now. Cost is 3 million elixir. Upgrade time is 10 days.

Eventually the game will force you to be active in your raiding or buy shit. The last two raids on me have cost me 500k elixir. If I just relied on my resource collectors which are all maxed, that would take me 27 hours generate -- exactly as long as I am under shield after those attacks.

Even if you max your defenses, raiders who are bad at math and trophy hunters will readily throw a 250k army to raid you for 200k elixir. Only solution I've found is to try to steal more than I lose.

I started opportunistic raiding pretty much as soon as the starter wall came down. The ROI is excellent and once spent the spoils cannot be taken back. Took me a little time to figure the AI out and now I've got the hang of it offensively at lv5 town hall.

My advice on defense is don't bother with classical wall cells. It's all about inter-nesting and channeling hostiles into bunching up in overlapping fire zones. I've had my base bested but it's consistently been by much higher level cats with huge armies and rev3nge (I love raiding above my class) not winning economically on their minds. Precious few 3star wipeouts and I learned from each and modded my tactics accordingly.  Losing to raids barely matters, but it seems folks just hate losing. In this game that is how you fail, abandon your base and become raid fodder. It's a lot of fun!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Ben Shapiro

Downloaded "Manga Studio 5" hopefully me and the wife can create some cards for our card game we're creating.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:20:04 PM
Brand new $4 Mn kiln.

Built under budget.  How did Mike manage this?  Why, he left off inconsequential things like elevated platforms for people to stand on (extension ladders as a routine operations thing, lol) and maintenance rails for the 3 ton carts.

Which has managed to bite us a whole week into running the machine, when 2 "top" operators decided that the procedure was inefficient and decided to load the machine in manual mode.  Not gonna bore you with details, but "manual" turns off all the safeties, and as they overloaded the entrance tracks, the end car fell off the rail, because in manual, the loading traverse cart doesn't automatically return (hence the "manual" part).

So I have been here since 3 AM, first righting the cart, then using a monster fork lift to lift the cart off the tracks and place it on the ground, as there is no maintenance rail to shunt it off onto.  Every single time there is a problem, we will have to rig and lift the carts, which is an inherently hazardous task.

I explained this in the morning staff meeting in terms that made Mike literally weep with rage.  I approve of this.  I shall see if I can ramp it up until the fat useless arrogant bastard strokes the fuck out. 

Hatefully,
Dok

This sort of preventable crap drives me nuts.
I work at a hospital laundry for a very large complex. It's one of the few in  the nation with an internal "full service" accredited laundry. Most outsource.

The hospital completed an addition this last January and I was shown the schematics and maps by my bosses to see what I thought. What I thought was that it was grossly unintelligent to have 1 single chute to handle virtually everything from a 6 floor housing unit. I was correct, but unheeded.

The damn thing was made worse by a large ramp in the basement area that the chute deposits at the bottom of and the fact that they installed a garbage chute that went straight down and was crimped at the end. It really should be slanted to soak momentum and throw the bag into the room on exit instead of piling up directly under the chute. It has a  spring loaded, sliding door on the bottom.

The bags are meant to be around 50lbs max, but QUITE FREQUENTLY are stuffed to 100+. The consequences need not be detailed explicitly, but it was hellish for the first months until they managed to modify things. It still only functions because some few of us are vigilant and hard working enough to keep it clear.

One day, but not if I can help it, it will likely back up so bad that the pressure will pack it like a  cigarette. Then we shall see how things go. The chute is built into the middle of the building. There's no way to remove it in such a situation and they've made no moves to replace it before this happens. This is just one of dozens of little bits of folly I deal with. Decisions out of my hands and all I can do is watch and adapt..  or get the hell out.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 02:31:05 PM
Ugh.  Arguing with a Jungian on FB about Quantum Physics.  Why do I do this?

You, sir, are a glutton for punishment.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
You are so much more amusing than the Philosophy 101 I'm dealing with.

"Physics is the science of how matter and energy interact. That speaks very little to consciousness, and is still reductionist/rationalist/materialist, which speak even less to consciousness. The physical world (I still don't like calling it "world") may be amplitudes in configuration space as far as you and physics are concerned, but consciousness isn't. Ergo, if your reality is physical in nature, consciousness cannot be reality."

In theory, as a baby neurobiologist who will be TA-ing Perception next term, I have a lot of fancy words to counter that. In reality, I am way too fucking tired to formulate them in any way that makes sense.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 02:59:21 PM
Sadly, the argument is going in the direction of "reality is only perception" and "conciousness is not a physical aspect".

Right this minute, I'd like to feed fuckers like that into the choppy grindy burny machine.

Which is actually a thing.

I want one plz.

Dildo Argentino

Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Dildo Argentino

Captain Haddock is much older than you, so you are his doppelganger!
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

LMNO

Quote from: Your Mom on October 22, 2014, 06:42:11 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 03:11:49 PM
You are so much more amusing than the Philosophy 101 I'm dealing with.

"Physics is the science of how matter and energy interact. That speaks very little to consciousness, and is still reductionist/rationalist/materialist, which speak even less to consciousness. The physical world (I still don't like calling it "world") may be amplitudes in configuration space as far as you and physics are concerned, but consciousness isn't. Ergo, if your reality is physical in nature, consciousness cannot be reality."

In theory, as a baby neurobiologist who will be TA-ing Perception next term, I have a lot of fancy words to counter that. In reality, I am way too fucking tired to formulate them in any way that makes sense.

I had a feeling you might.  But, as the whole thing collapsed into snark and mockery, it was a good choice not to make the effort.

Junkenstein

QuoteOne day, but not if I can help it, it will likely back up so bad that the pressure will pack it like a  cigarette. Then we shall see how things go. The chute is built into the middle of the building. There's no way to remove it in such a situation and they've made no moves to replace it before this happens. This is just one of dozens of little bits of folly I deal with. Decisions out of my hands and all I can do is watch and adapt..  or get the hell out.

Joe, Have a word with me if/when this occurs. I've dealt with similar kinds of situations and there's PLENTY of fun to be had here.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Your Mom on October 22, 2014, 06:43:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 21, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 21, 2014, 02:59:21 PM
Sadly, the argument is going in the direction of "reality is only perception" and "conciousness is not a physical aspect".

Right this minute, I'd like to feed fuckers like that into the choppy grindy burny machine.

Which is actually a thing.

I want one plz.

There's only one.  And I worked for decades to rate that thing.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

ATTENTION IT/WEB DESIGN SKILLED SPAGS.

I have a new client and he wants a website and various shit made YESTERDAY. If you are at all skilled in this regard I currently have NO ONE to sub this kind of shit out to.

Genuine offer of legit, paid work. Would expect to see proof of previous work and skills. This should not be an issue for you. I have a reasonable understanding of the level of effort required and would ensure suitable compensation. I will make no promises to anyone beyond the fact I will consider and evaluate you in the same way I would anyone else. UK based would obviously be somewhat easier, but provided we can communicate that's somewhat flexible.

I am mainly posting this here because I'm actually stunned at the (lack of) quality the two I've had meetings with this over today. I've not got high hopes for tomorrow either.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

I grow increasingly worried that the fist I've made for years to say "leave me the fuck alone" has actually become my identity.  Especially lately.
Molon Lube