News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Unlimited MENA Revolt Thread

Started by Cain, February 21, 2011, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

University in North Dakota evacuated after bomb threat.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Tucson has a large Muslim population, but everything is quiet here.  Mostly because it's Tuscon.  Why get excited?  It's HOT.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

The MB in Egypt have significant cultural hold over the larger Middle East.  I don't think they have enough sway to change things on their own, but their influence will certainly contribute to moderating things.

And yeah, the Indian police won't mess around.  In fact, they'll probably pre-emptively raid half a dozen mosques, just to make a point.

All this is going to take is one idiot in a European or American city to get really, really ugly.  Because that one idiot will cause a reaction, the said reaction being led by other idiots, and the whole thing will escalate, with people taking one side or the other and attempting to pre-empt their opposites.  Fast.  Like, London riots fast.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 05:16:04 PM
The MB in Egypt have significant cultural hold over the larger Middle East.  I don't think they have enough sway to change things on their own, but their influence will certainly contribute to moderating things.

And yeah, the Indian police won't mess around.  In fact, they'll probably pre-emptively raid half a dozen mosques, just to make a point.

All this is going to take is one idiot in a European or American city to get really, really ugly.  Because that one idiot will cause a reaction, the said reaction being led by other idiots, and the whole thing will escalate, with people taking one side or the other and attempting to pre-empt their opposites.  Fast.  Like, London riots fast.

Yep.  Sometime today.

The Good Reverend Roger

Something going on between Syria & Lebanon, Cain?

The Good Reverend Roger

American embassy stormed in Yemen.

The Good Reverend Roger

ATTN, PDers:  BUNKER IS FULL.  NO ROOM FOR YOU AND YOUR POOP-FILLED PANCE.

Verbal Mike

Hah, joke's on you, my parents have a bunker in Jerusalem where I get to stay but all y'all don't!
OTOH, joke's on me, because it's in Jerusalem. :(
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:24:36 PM

Usually lots, but I cannot think of anything specific at the moment.  Hezbollah have been showing a great deal of restraint lately.

It is possible Syrian instability could spill over into Lebanon, but the military power disparity there is such that Hezbollah could probably enforce a settlement of its choosing, which would give it far more political power than it currently has, under the existing system.

I remember when thumbing through Nir Rosen's Aftermath, that Lebanese sectarian relations were about on a par with Iraq's.  Lots of conspiracy theories about Shia being in league with Iran, Sunnis being in league with the Saudis, everyone being in league with Al-Qaeda and a worrying amount of sectarian militias running about the place, helping to fan the flames.  Given how close Lebanon's social situation is to Syria, I would not be surprised to find increased tension.

But I admit I have not really been looking at the country for the past couple of years.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 05:38:43 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:24:36 PM

Usually lots, but I cannot think of anything specific at the moment.  Hezbollah have been showing a great deal of restraint lately.

It is possible Syrian instability could spill over into Lebanon, but the military power disparity there is such that Hezbollah could probably enforce a settlement of its choosing, which would give it far more political power than it currently has, under the existing system.

I remember when thumbing through Nir Rosen's Aftermath, that Lebanese sectarian relations were about on a par with Iraq's.  Lots of conspiracy theories about Shia being in league with Iran, Sunnis being in league with the Saudis, everyone being in league with Al-Qaeda and a worrying amount of sectarian militias running about the place, helping to fan the flames.  Given how close Lebanon's social situation is to Syria, I would not be surprised to find increased tension.

But I admit I have not really been looking at the country for the past couple of years.

I just heard a whiff of this listening to CNN's running fear-fest.  Something about violence at the border.  90% chance it's bullshit, just like their confusion between "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Muslim".

Cain

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:36:13 PM

I have enough cartons of orange juice in my office to outlast the zombie apocalypse.  No, seriously, because our people keep overdelivering goods, I have an entire fridge, plus several boxes in the bathroom, just full of orange juice.  There has to be at least 500 in there, in total.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on September 14, 2012, 05:40:40 PM
Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:36:13 PM

I have enough cartons of orange juice in my office to outlast the zombie apocalypse.  No, seriously, because our people keep overdelivering goods, I have an entire fridge, plus several boxes in the bathroom, just full of orange juice.  There has to be at least 500 in there, in total.

Well, no scurvy, then...One less thing, eh?

Don Coyote

Well fuck. At least I know the topic of discussion tomorrow at drill.

Cain

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 14, 2012, 05:40:29 PM
I just heard a whiff of this listening to CNN's running fear-fest.  Something about violence at the border.  90% chance it's bullshit, just like their confusion between "Muslim Brotherhood" and "Muslim".

Well, the KFC in Tripoli got sacked, I know that much.  Oh, and a Krispy Kreme, though they probably deserved it, for having a stupid name.  And then soldiers shot the rioters.

Oh, and the Pope is there. Which is always helpful.

I believe the border gets shelled on a semi-regular basis by Loyalist forces. There is a lot of back and forth in weapons and people across the border.  Unfortunately, artillery fire does not respect international boundaries.