News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Questions about the Black Iron Prison

Started by dontblameyoko, January 02, 2010, 12:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontblameyoko

I suspect/hope this is the right place to ask these questions. 
I would like to know the source of the yin-yang within a yin-yang on page 23
and the bit on p. 26 about  when the power goes out.
'cus i like those.
thanks.
BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Cramulus

the yin yang - unsure - i probably found that image with an image search and did not note the source

perhaps some string like "fractal yin yang"

the electricity going out bit,
that's by vexati0n, from this thread:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=11542.msg358680#msg358680

dontblameyoko

BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Daego

I just wanna know what the main demographic for TBIP is... The first few pages seem to be targeting depressed teens from the early '90s.  Why try to convert? If someone isn't smart enough to find their way around theology do you really give a Potter Stewart if they are walking around with a Gold Apple embossed on their Starter-brand hoodie?  Not trying to flame or anything, all of hell knows I can be a prick though.  I realize people worked hard on TBIP, and applaud the effort,  but the number of posts on this thread may give a clue to the actual VALIDITY of the thing.  I'm probably not the one to say anything beings if I'd modernize the PD I'd just write "5 tons of flax" a few times and discredit all sources in the bibliograpy
Not Impressed, FuX uR peE

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Daego on January 13, 2010, 04:08:18 AM
I just wanna know what the main demographic for TBIP is... The first few pages seem to be targeting depressed teens from the early '90s.  Why try to convert? If someone isn't smart enough to find their way around theology do you really give a Potter Stewart if they are walking around with a Gold Apple embossed on their Starter-brand hoodie?  Not trying to flame or anything, all of hell knows I can be a prick though.  I realize people worked hard on TBIP, and applaud the effort,  but the number of posts on this thread may give a clue to the actual VALIDITY of the thing.  I'm probably not the one to say anything beings if I'd modernize the PD I'd just write "5 tons of flax" a few times and discredit all sources in the bibliograpy

Interestingly, those of my friends who have reacted most positively to the BIP tend to be the older ones. Fortyish.

I still haven't read it.

And frankly, I don't see much value in the "if they're not smart enough to get it on their own, we don't want them" elitist attitude. Everyone starts from somewhere.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

I just wanna know what the main demographic for TBIP is... The first few pages seem to be targeting depressed teens from the early '90s.  Why try to convert? If someone isn't smart enough to find their way around theology do you really give a Potter Stewart if they are walking around with a Gold Apple embossed on their Starter-brand hoodie?

from "Who Wrote This":

QuoteWhat we have observed is that the more people are able to think for themselves, the less willing they become to exhaust themselves at someone else’s command. An open-minded person is better able to see past the illusions that have this civilization headed toward what seems to be a fiery demise, and may even do something about it.

We acknowledge that it would be in everybody best interests if there were more creative and critical thinkers analyzing the situation and broadcasting their observations.

that's the real point of the BIP piece.

People joke about the darkness of the pamphlet. "What's your target audience, angsty teens?" When I read the BIP, I was out of college, and (long story short) suffering. The core idea, that you can take control of that misery, really electrified me. Maybe it didn't help you? That's okay - there are people out there that need the wake-up call.

QuoteI realize people worked hard on TBIP, and applaud the effort,  but the number of posts on this thread may give a clue to the actual VALIDITY of the thing. 

not really sure what the number of posts in this thread has to do with the price of tea in china.

QuoteI'm probably not the one to say anything beings if I'd modernize the PD I'd just write "5 tons of flax" a few times and discredit all sources in the bibliograpy

and if you had never read the PD before, would you read the phrase "5 tons of flax" and suddenly be electrified? would you suddenly come into accord with disorder? nah

I wasn't here when they wrote the first Black Iron Prison pamphlet, but the idea was to NOT repeat the old jokes from the Principia. There's a great message in the Principia (a couple of them, actually), and Mal and Omar have never had a monopoly on this message. They used silliness and absurdity to present their message, but it is by no means the only possible presentation. So what other forms can the signal take?

Personally, I think there's something holy about producing original content. What better way is there to Think For Yourself, Shmuck? You're a Discordian and you're online, so you've probably noticed that most Internet Discordians don't produce much other than references to the Principia. It's like hanging out with Monty Python fans who can only repeatedly quote the Holy Grail and the Life of Brian until they've sucked all the fun out of it. I feel like the same thing is happening to the Principia - a lot of Discordians are married to this one document, and it's a great document, but it's not the be-all-end-all of Discordia. And if all we Discordians can do is rehash the Principia, then Discordia died a long long time ago.

LMNO

I just wanna know what the main demographic for TBIP is... The first few pages seem to be targeting depressed teens from the early '90s.  Why try to convert? If someone isn't smart enough to find their way around theology do you really give a Potter Stewart if they are walking around with a Gold Apple embossed on their Starter-brand hoodie?  Not trying to flame or anything, all of hell knows I can be a prick though.  I realize people worked hard on TBIP, and applaud the effort,  but the number of posts on this thread may give a clue to the actual VALIDITY of the thing.  I'm probably not the one to say anything beings if I'd modernize the PD I'd just write "5 tons of flax" a few times and discredit all sources in the bibliograpy

I think it's because that when you get to a point where you understand the potential and ability to Think For Yourself and Reconstruct your Prison, the world looks a lot brighter and full of potential.  So you look back at the way you used to think, and you see the stifling entrapment your life used to be.  Damn right it should be dark... What, you think that if we said "being a passive consumer is great, but so is this" that it would reach anyone

Secondly, you seem to believe that Discordia has a "theology".  Which brings into question what you actually learned from the Principa.

And don't think we missed your weak Illuminatus! reference, either.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2010, 02:30:31 PM

I think it's because that when you get to a point where you understand the potential and ability to Think For Yourself and Reconstruct your Prison, the world looks a lot brighter and full of potential.  So you look back at the way you used to think, and you see the stifling entrapment your life used to be.  Damn right it should be dark... What, you think that if we said "being a passive consumer is great, but so is this" that it would reach anyone

Secondly, you seem to believe that Discordia has a "theology".  Which brings into question what you actually learned from the Principa.

And don't think we missed your weak Illuminatus! Schrödinger's Cat reference, either.

Fixed, but yes, still weak.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on January 13, 2010, 02:54:52 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2010, 02:30:31 PM

And don't think we missed your weak Illuminatus! Schrödinger's Cat reference, either.

Fixed, but yes, still weak.

Yep, I thought I smelled fried onions in this thread.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

It's all the same damn book, anyway.

But point taken.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2010, 03:12:15 PM
It's all the same damn book, anyway.

But point taken.

s'OK LMNO... I always get my quotes from them mixed up as well... Except for the Flying  Rehnquist :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cainad (dec.)

I realize people worked hard on TBIP, and applaud the effort,  but the number of posts on this thread may give a clue to the actual VALIDITY of the thing.

My 2 cents: This sentence suggests that you have not considered the possibility that we've already discussed the hell out of it. I mean, damn, the current PDF layout is from July 2007. This thread was started at the beginning of this month, in 2010.

Frankly, I'd be a little weirded out if we were still making 20-page threads talking excitedly about the BIP, 3 years later. The BIP is still relevant, and valid, and the source of an assload of really good discussion which I have had the pleasure to witness and even contribute a tiny bit (I joined the party late), but we, like most people, eventually move on to talk about other things.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I think he means the first pamphet we slapped together.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2010, 07:17:53 PM
I think he means the first pamphet we slapped together.

Link?  I think I was still being a prize ass when that came together.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.