News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

The Saga of Asobiden

Started by Remington, March 28, 2013, 01:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

1st Granite, 131 (Early Spring)

It was inevitable, I suppose. Myself and certain other acquaintances had finally been (informally) banished from the seaside farming fortress of Strangleweeds. I am completely innocent, of course, but it seems we are to take the blame for several misdeeds around the fortress recently. Most of these were solidly in the "wrong place, wrong time" category, but it was made very clear by certain high-placed nobles that I should volunteer for the expedition to found a new colony. Or else.

Six other dwarves accompany me, mostly other "inconvenient" individuals who were given the same choice I was.

Still, I suppose there is an upside to this. When we arrive at the designated location we will have full reign to build our own civilization, without the rampant idiocy of the dwarven nobles. From what I have heard, the location selected is lush with wildlife, with excellent soil and a commanding view of a freshwater lake. We have named the new fortress Asobien ("BoatPaddles" in the common tongue) after some discussion. We should arrive within the week.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

8th granite, 131 (Early Spring)

It appears our misunderstandings with the Strangleweeds nobles has generated more bad feelings than we initially though. We arrived at our destination today, but instead of lush greenland we find ourselves on the edge of a sweltering desert!

The corpses of various wildlife lie strewn across the small grassy savannah before the desert, many of them mutilated beyond recognition. More disconcertingly, there are a few who seem mostly intact, apart from a large puncture wound in their sides. The faces of the latter are twisted in horrible grimaces of pain, and my companions seem to recognize the effect of desert scorpion venom. The bare landscape echos with the caws of the giant ravens that seem to thrive here.

Regardless, we are nearly out of supplies and we have no choice but to stop and make camp here. I have ordered the excavation of an entrance hall into the sandy ground here (as there is no suitable terrain for a proper mountain entrance) and the deconstruction of the supply wagon.

Is it plugged in?

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Ach!  Adequate Cheese Maker's 'bout the nicest thing's been said of The Good Reverend in a long while.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 28, 2013, 02:22:42 AM
Ach!  Adequate Cheese Maker's 'bout the nicest thing's been said of The Good Reverend in a long while.

Ferst, eh meks it.  Then, eh cutz it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Yer words light a fire'n me s'always, Holy Man.   :cry:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Remington

9th Granite, 131 (Mid-Spring)

Good fortune! Upon digging below the sand, we immediately struck obsidian and hematite! The valuable nature and sharp edges of obsidian will be a great boon to our future economy, and the presence of iron-bearing ore means that Boatpaddles will able to defend itself with weapons of its own make.

10th Granite, 131 (Early Spring)

I have ordered storage space and the military barrack to be dug out, and work is progressing smoothly. We have begun to move the supplies from the caravan underground, in order to get them away from the aggravating sun. There's been a freak rainshower, and the moisture threatens to dilute the stocks of dwarven rum and ale. The mere prospect of this frightens us more than the mutilated wildlife, as I'm sure you can understand.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

21st Slate, 131 (Mid-Spring)

The Good Reverend keeps trying to get me to try his cheese. "It's gooooood shit" he says. "Made with 169% CACTUS JUICE."

I suspect he's been distilling cactus extract in the tunnels below the entrance, but I have no way of proving it. Need to keep a closer eye on him.
Is it plugged in?

Remington

24th Slate, 131 (Mid-Spring)

This place is weird.

Is it plugged in?

President Television

Nice name for a desert settlement. I gather the dwarves have a sense of humor.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Pergamos

Can you post a screen of my character description?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Remington

12th Hematite, 131 (Early Summer)

Strange creatures continue to roam the lands around Asobiden. Nigel has identified them as "furries", with a glint in her eye that I quickly coming to fear.

Gogira seems eager to try his axe against them, but I urge caution. Our defenses are still in construction, and he is the only one of us with any kind of military experience. He can have his fun once we get a few marksdwarves to back him up.

The excavation of the workshop area is proceeding smoothly, with Cainad working to strike the earth, Eater of Clowns constructing the masonry shops, and Nigel lending her experience with interior design. She and Cainad nearly came to blows over an incident where she demanded that the already half-excavated cavern be moved "just a little to the left". She claims that the positioning of the cavern messed up the fortress's "feng shui".

Sounds like Elvish nonsense to me.

Some dwarves were helping more than others.

Is it plugged in?

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Ach, we would nae be sleepin in dirt if'n we had more chairs!