Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

[NOMENCLATURE]: Crust Kids or "Crust wave."

Started by navkat, January 16, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

For clarification, when navkat talks about "Crustwave," this is what she means:
http://hipsterrunoff.com/tag/crust-kids

Fun fact: My friend Donovan "Rekanize" Fannon did the photos in that piece. They were actually used w/o permission from a memorial service in New Orleans for some crusties who died IAF in an abandoned building a couple of winters ago.

I was deeply saddened by the loss of such awesome slang into the bowels of the american vernacular and would like to revive it.

Don Coyote

People who don't bath and wear tattered clothes?
So hipsters, hippies and/or the homeless?
I'm missing something.

AFK

Jesus christ, this is the part about having kids that keeps me up at night.  Well, actually, one of several parts. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

navkat

Quote from: Don Coyote on January 16, 2012, 07:20:53 PM
I'm missing something.

Hipsters are middle class kids who walk around in BCGs and drink PBR because it's "kool." They go on and on about Autechre and how Apple is superior to PC and Linux.

Hippies are vegetarians who bathe and go to Phish concerts and buy from food co-ops.

Homeless are poor people who have Real Life fucking problems and are in need (and deserving) of help.

Crust Kids are usually upper-middle-class wankers who have homes to go to, people who love them, college funds they don't want to use and have opted to live like drug addicts and filthy bums.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 07:40:09 PM
Crust Kids are usually upper-middle-class wankers who have homes to go to, people who love them, college funds they don't want to use and have opted to live like drug addicts and filthy bums.

Jesus.

Well, I suppose it takes all kinds to fill the monkey house...But this is the best slap in the face the world's poor have seen on a cultural level, since the invention of the Turduken.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

I'm missing something.

Hipsters are middle class kids who walk around in BCGs and drink PBR because it's "kool." They go on and on about Autechre and how Apple is superior to PC and Linux.

Hippies are vegetarians who bathe and go to Phish concerts and buy from food co-ops.

Homeless are poor people who have Real Life fucking problems and are in need (and deserving) of help.

The next evolution of hipsters?

AFK

navkat

Quote from: Don Coyote on January 16, 2012, 07:42:02 PM
I'm missing something.

The next evolution of hipsters?

Worse. Eventually, all the drug use and stealing and indignant attitudes about the middle class that surrounds them nets them addictions, sketchy character and criminal record. They create Real Life problems for themselves and actually become what they started out play acting at.

If your kid turned his nose up at a college education in favor of heroin and begging for people's leftovers as they walk out of Angeli, eventually, you'd stop trying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: RWHN on January 16, 2012, 07:46:13 PM
And this is supposed to be "edgy" right?

I guess it beats attending class.

After all, Mommy & Daddy will always be there to pick you up when you fall.  Right?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 07:48:17 PM
Worse. Eventually, all the drug use and stealing and indignant attitudes about the middle class that surrounds them nets them addictions, sketchy character and criminal record. They create Real Life problems for themselves and actually become what they started out play acting at.

I'd say this is a self-correcting problem.

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 07:49:43 PM

Racist.  :lulz:

AFK

See, these are the people the Tea Party really should be losing their shit over. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 07:50:44 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 07:49:43 PM

Racist.  :lulz:

wut

navkat

Quote from: RWHN on January 16, 2012, 07:51:03 PM
See, these are the people the Tea Party really should be losing their shit over.

These are the people we all should be losing our shit over. We're so fucking decadent, we've got rich kids trying to be poor.

The Good Reverend Roger

Um, yeah.

So I'm a fucking racist for some fucking reason.

Later.