News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Also, saw the best Republican sticker today: Romney-Ryan Hope for the Unborn.

I alternately wanted to giggle and throw up a little bit.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:13:10 PM
If she's cool with it, I don't think it matters.

Well, from what I gather, she knows I respect her, and therefore she isn't put off by comments or pet names calling out how good she looks.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  From what I gather, most people want both respect and affirmation of how hot they look, but only if both happen at the same time.  If you can't have both, settle for respect.  Or words to that effect.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:15:58 PM

"Romney-Ryan Hope for the Unborn.  Until they're born.  Then fuck 'em."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, mood ruined.

Off to get my happy thoughts back.

See you all later.

Nephew Twiddleton

Sorry for my part in that. Anyway. Im going to stop commenting on threads until im certain i understand whats going on in it by asking about the op.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 06:53:21 PM
Sorry for my part in that. Anyway. Im going to stop commenting on threads until im certain i understand whats going on in it by asking about the op.

It's not your fault, it's mine.  I failed to communicate my idea.

Also, my idea itself was bad.  People like things the way they are.

Nephew Twiddleton

Not necessarily. It could just be that im not that quick.

Im not sure what you mean what you mean by people liking things the way they are. Im trying to improve my lot in life.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 29, 2012, 03:18:16 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 02:49:45 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 29, 2012, 05:15:56 AM
Missed that scene.

Who the fuck is robert paulson?

If it makes you feel any better, Twid, I have no idea either, and it irritates me when people act like you're clueless because you happened to miss sitting in front of the idiot tube for something they consider a crucially important part of their cultural background.

The Meatloaf character in Fight Club.

Huh. I read Fight Club four years ago, don't remember a Robert Paulson character, didn't know Meatloaf was in the movie.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 05:59:42 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 02:48:21 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 29, 2012, 06:24:58 AM
I hate petnames. Hate hate hate them. From everyone, but especially from strangers. They are condescending and full of false intimacy. People who know me know better than to use them with me.

What do you mean by "petnames"? To me, a pet name is an affectionate name that is given you by someone who knows you well. Like my friends calling me K-dogg.

Do you mean things like "hon" and "sweetie" from strangers? That has always seemed deeply inappropriate to me because they are intimate terms of address.
"K-Dogg" I would classify as a nickname, which are different than a pet name and are things I like. Pet names would be, yeah, "hon" and "sweetheart" and the like, which I don't like from ANYONE.

Pretty sure that pet names are normally defined as affectionate nicknames between people who are close, FYI. You're referring to terms of endearment, which are not appropriate, IMO, from those who are not actually dear to us.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 06:02:08 PM
I hate petnames. Hate hate hate them. From everyone, but especially from strangers. They are condescending and full of false intimacy. People who know me know better than to use them with me.

What do you mean by "petnames"? To me, a pet name is an affectionate name that is given you by someone who knows you well. Like my friends calling me K-dogg.

Do you mean things like "hon" and "sweetie" from strangers? That has always seemed deeply inappropriate to me because they are intimate terms of address.
"K-Dogg" I would classify as a nickname, which are different than a pet name and are things I like. Pet names would be, yeah, "hon" and "sweetheart" and the like, which I don't like from ANYONE.

I like 'em, when it's my wife saying them.  She is the one person that doesn't annoy me by shortening my name.

Or, hell, my daughter (Baldy, Old Man, etc)

I know what you mean about the diminutives. Occasionally someone will decide to call me "Kal", which I fucking loathe. I am fine with "K-rah" and I will tolerate "Lera" but I fucking. HATE. Kal. Anyone who calls me "Kal" doesn't know me well enough to attempt to use a diminutive of my name.

"Nig" is fine though. Which reminds me of a story, which is that in my local BBS group of friends back in the dialup days, we had this girl, Laughing Toad. One day, while registering on a BBS, she mistyped her name as "Laughnig Toad". She was black, and everyone thought this was adorable and funny and we called her "Nig". One day, a new guy came along, and he was HORRIFIED AND OUTRAGED because someone referred to Nig, and he went BAAAAWWWWW RACISM!

And then Nig was all, duh, it's my name, also I'm black, and verily, he was embarrassed. And we all had a good laugh, The end.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 08:59:01 PM

I like 'em, when it's my wife saying them.  She is the one person that doesn't annoy me by shortening my name.

I know what you mean about the diminutives. Occasionally someone will decide to call me "Kal", which I fucking loathe. I am fine with "K-rah" and I will tolerate "Lera" but I fucking. HATE. Kal. Anyone who calls me "Kal" doesn't know me well enough to attempt to use a diminutive of my name.

"Nig" is fine though. Which reminds me of a story, which is that in my local BBS group of friends back in the dialup days, we had this girl, Laughing Toad. One day, while registering on a BBS, she mistyped her name as "Laughnig Toad". She was black, and everyone thought this was adorable and funny and we called her "Nig". One day, a new guy came along, and he was HORRIFIED AND OUTRAGED because someone referred to Nig, and he went BAAAAWWWWW RACISM!

And then Nig was all, duh, it's my name, also I'm black, and verily, he was embarrassed. And we all had a good laugh, The end.

For me, it's more that shortening the name implies a level of familiarity.  Having someone I'm not that familiar with shorten my name is an intrusion into my space, if you know what I mean.  It's having that person interject him/herself into a level of relationship that I find uncomfortable in the extreme.

Don Coyote

Sounds like they support the Unborn, eldritch things that are not gods because they were never alive in the first place, and can also never die.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Reverend Roadkill on October 29, 2012, 09:06:20 PM
Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 08:59:01 PM

For me, it's more that shortening the name implies a level of familiarity.  Having someone I'm not that familiar with shorten my name is an intrusion into my space, if you know what I mean.  It's having that person interject him/herself into a level of relationship that I find uncomfortable in the extreme.

Yes, exactly. If someone thinks they know me well enough to try to use a diminutive of my name, they damn well better know me well enough to know which ones I'm cool with.

For strangers, I'd just as soon return to the days of formal address by honorarium and last name, because I'm not that keen on people I don't know using my first name without permission.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on October 29, 2012, 09:31:18 PM
For strangers, I'd just as soon return to the days of formal address by honorarium and last name, because I'm not that keen on people I don't know using my first name without permission.

So, is that "Dark Empress Nigel" or "Queen Skinsaw"?   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: American Jackal on October 29, 2012, 09:10:43 PM

Sounds like they support the Unborn, eldritch things that are not gods because they were never alive in the first place, and can also never die.

THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!

They feed the Unborn on the misery of the poor, sick, and suffering, and in return the Unborn help them consolidate their power, which is why they are so desperate to force impoverished women, underage girls, and struggling single mothers to have more babies, and why they are against social safety nets and universal healthcare.