News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

I'm painting miniatures for tabletop RPGS and they look like shit

Started by Don Coyote, June 18, 2013, 02:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Where are the ones that look like shit? I clicked on this thread to get a reassuring dose of mediocrity and all I see is talent and awesome. Thread failed to deliver, thumbs down!
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Telarus on June 19, 2013, 05:44:56 AM
A) Those look AWESOME. I approve of this spaggotry.

B) I happen to have run across some figurine painting tricks:

The Dip Method: http://seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/miniatures/speedpainting_thedip/

The dipping color can also be a thinned down dark gloss. The thinned version pools darker colors in the crevices.

Then you can drybrush on top of that to bring out the highlights: http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html

I'll probably try the do method when I have a sizable number of minis that are part of a unit of some kind.

Don Coyote

Quote from: V3X on June 25, 2013, 06:28:19 AM
Where are the ones that look like shit? I clicked on this thread to get a reassuring dose of mediocrity and all I see is talent and awesome. Thread failed to deliver, thumbs down!

Guess you missed this travesty.
Quote from: Don Coyote on June 24, 2013, 08:43:02 PM

Don Coyote

Townsfolk

My bard

My wife's old barbarian.

And more mechs.
I recently got a Battletech Classic Hunchback IIc.
I'm going to paint it orange with pink tiger stripes and paint the autocannons to look like speakers. It shall be a mech that fights with the power of WUBWUBWUB.

Elder Iptuous

Fun!  :)
I was painting these some last year, and now that things are starting to get a little less hectic, i'd like to start up again.

have you checked out coolminiornot.com?
there's some bad ass motivation thar!

also, i found that the right paints make all the difference in the world. (not that i'm really great or anything)  i was using some testors model paints that i picked up from hobby lobby and they didn't look too hot.
invested in some miniatures paints from the comic shop, and immediately improved. 
oh.  and a desk magnifying glass/lamp that my wife got me for my birthday helped a ton, too....
oh, and, AND.  i made a pintle so i can hold on to it, rather than the miniature itself when paining.  that helps a lot too.  able to keep it much steadier, and not bump it so damned much.  i just took a playdoh container, punched a few holes in the bottom, and some small zip ties to hold the mini on it, and that works like a charm.  they have fancier ways, but i'm cheap if i can be.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 28, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
oh, and, AND.  i made a pintle so i can hold on to it, rather than the miniature itself when paining.  that helps a lot too.  able to keep it much steadier, and not bump it so damned much.  i just took a playdoh container, punched a few holes in the bottom, and some small zip ties to hold the mini on it, and that works like a charm.  they have fancier ways, but i'm cheap if i can be.

If I had some empty playdoh containers I would try that.

And my wife just had to start painting mini's and make me look bad.

But I have a pink and orange hunchback so I'm happy.

And a wizard.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I never noticed that all the female mini things have great breasticular fortitude. Even the monster chicks. O.o
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 15, 2013, 05:36:08 AM
I never noticed that all the female mini things have great breasticular fortitude. Even the monster chicks. O.o
probably because the assumed target market are horny young men.

Don Coyote

although I should mention that my male bard figure was originally a female cleric figure. the only alterations I did was remove the holy symbol and replace it with a lute.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 15, 2013, 05:36:08 AM

It's a constant problem. When I got a mini for my daughter I had to specify something without tits to here (there was exactly one that worked).

Don Coyote

Because my Pathfinder group lost a player and gained two newbies the GM is starting a new campaign.  No sweat of my back because I only played one session in the last one.  But new character means new mini.
So here is Kytharerl