News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

NASA records the death of a star

Started by Luna, August 29, 2011, 10:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

The reason I used the term supernova in the first place was because I couldn't think of the name of the process with which a low mass star expels its outer layers. Turns out there's no cool term for it, its just a series of thermal pulses.

Also:
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on September 02, 2011, 06:50:38 PM
It will swell into a red giant and then shrink into a white dwarf.

also, there are two seperate red giant phases with a helium burning phase in between. But I guess now I'm getting a but pedantic.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah you are right. Forgot about that. Stellar evolution is cool.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dimocritus

Indeed, though I have a tendancy to be more interested in stellar corpses, like white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes, and even then, I have a tendancy to prefer the latter high-mass varieties in particular.

On topic side-rant: The term "pulsar" pisses me off. A pulsar is just a neutron star "pointed" towards the Earth. Like, a laser-pointer is called a laser-pointer regardless of what direction it's pointing in, right? A neutron star is a neutron star. Fuck a fucking "pulsar." It's sort of an antiquated term from before they realized "pulsars" are just neutron stars "pointed" at us. I hate it. But then again, it's probably just me.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dimocritus on September 02, 2011, 07:38:58 PM
Indeed, though I have a tendancy to be more interested in stellar corpses, like white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes, and even then, I have a tendancy to prefer the latter high-mass varieties in particular.

On topic side-rant: The term "pulsar" pisses me off. A pulsar is just a neutron star "pointed" towards the Earth. Like, a laser-pointer is called a laser-pointer regardless of what direction it's pointing in, right? A neutron star is a neutron star. Fuck a fucking "pulsar." It's sort of an antiquated term from before they realized "pulsars" are just neutron stars "pointed" at us. I hate it. But then again, it's probably just me.

True. I'm sure there's still some useful technical reason for calling them pulsars though. Otherwise they would have given them the Pluto treatment already.

Doktor Howl

It's just you.

Dok,
Likes anything with a name like "pulsar", and thinks Ron Jeremy should have made a movie about it.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Nephew Twiddleton

Side note- I dig red dwarves due to their long lives. At first I thought that colonizing yellow dwarf systems were our best target, but for staying power, it's all about the red dwarves. Red dwarves alive now will still be around now will last until all of the Sun type stars have died and stopped forming. There is the problem with tidal locking in the habitable zone though.

Nephew Twiddleton

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on September 02, 2011, 07:57:15 PM
Side note- I dig red dwarves due to their long lives. At first I thought that colonizing yellow dwarf systems were our best target, but for staying power, it's all about the red dwarves. Red dwarves alive now will still be around now will last until all of the Sun type stars have died and stopped forming. There is the problem with tidal locking in the habitable zone though.

Might be a LITTLE too much planning ahead, there.

Molon Lube

Dimocritus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 02, 2011, 07:55:15 PM

It's just you.

Dok,
Likes anything with a name like "pulsar", and thinks Ron Jeremy should have made a movie about it.

Haha, good point! It would bother me less if we could just use one term for it, and "pulsar" sounds way cooler than "neutron star," especially in this context:
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 02, 2011, 07:57:02 PM
"Barely Legal Pulsars 7"?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 02, 2011, 07:57:54 PM

Might be a LITTLE too much planning ahead, there.

It's only to make up for humanity's short-sightedness.  :)

Dimocritus

Nephew Twiddleton

Dimocritus

This spurs another side rant: The term "red dwarf" also pisses me off. It's just a small main sequence star. It's nothing like a white dwarf or a brown dwarf, which are dead of failed stars, respectively. It's just a regular M class star. But again, probably just me.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dimocritus on September 02, 2011, 08:18:23 PM

This spurs another side rant: The term "red dwarf" also pisses me off. It's just a small main sequence star. It's nothing like a white dwarf or a brown dwarf, which are dead of failed stars, respectively. It's just a regular M class star. But again, probably just me.

BUCOLIC MIDGET
Molon Lube