News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

So you want a Revolution...

Started by Adios, October 09, 2008, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 09:38:30 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 25, 2008, 12:53:32 AM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 12:18:45 AM
tl;dr - FFS wake up.
I clearly winked...  :|
That tl;dr attitude will sooner or later prevent you from unfolding your true potential Iptuous. But do not listen to me, and for your own sake - stop listening to yourself.
..... :|.....
ok.
lemme spell it out for you....
the post talked about educating ourselves and taking the time to read, etc, etc......
so i made a snarky comment that the post was too long, and i didn't read it.   It was a joke, buddy. lighten up....

oh and ftr, i have already reached my current potential as i have produced one man-child, and have another on the way.  only after the SHTF, and i am engaged in glorious regional warfare with ECH will my greater potential be realized.

East Coast Hustle

at this point in time, I'm thinking we can have a long collaborative effort to get rid of all these twats before we have to turn on each other.

:lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jenne

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on October 25, 2008, 12:03:52 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 24, 2008, 02:29:27 PM
TL;DR
Could you sum it up in a sentence?
:wink:

Revolution: The act of going around in a circle, eventually winding up back where you started.

DING DING DING

Memebomb memebomb!

Bruno

I think somebody already did that one, maybe not the exact wording.

Eh, I'll post it anyway.
Formerly something else...

hashishi

QuoteRevolution: The act of going around in a circle, eventually winding up back where you started.

There was a piece in a book called Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation called Rebellion the Biggest "Yes" yet by Osho. He starts with the above premise then argues that what we really need is a rebellion because that doesnt imply coming back to where you started. (I read it a long time ago and then made the mistake of lending it to someone, who lent it to someone... Its gone.)

What it did do was start me thinking. I agree we dont want to just wind up with another bunch of fuckers on top, fucking the rest of us in unfun ways. We already got that, what would be the point of going to all that trouble?

A rebellion would be OK, but for what? Its a little to vague for my tastes. So I thought some more, there are a whole host of words people have used to describe the proccess of individually and/or collectively resisting the powers that be... I decided I liked uprising best. It implies everyone standing up, which kinda describes what I want everyone to do.

Good initial rant too.

East Coast Hustle

I like "uprising", even though I am singularly uninterested in challenging the powers that be unless there is a reasonable chance I can replace them myself.

also, nice avatar. Vivian fucking rules.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 25, 2008, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 25, 2008, 09:38:30 AM
Nobody here has been eating pure wisdom with a spoon, especially not me. But there is a difference between those who actively work on reaching an enlightened state of mind in themselves and others, and those who just jerk around a bit because it is hip and fun: one group actually has a chance of getting somewhere while the other is just another form of puppet. One that is holding its own strings, which can be seen as a feat - or delusion.

There are planes to be walked,
I'll be back tonight.

you're right, of course.

but it's never too late to drop your bullshit enlightenment trip and join the rest of us tragic hipsters who are actually having fun (which is, of course, actually getting somewhere).

QFT, and because I enjoy poking people who think that achieving enlightenment (whatever the fuck that means) is more important than having fun.

Cain

Quote from: hashishi on October 26, 2008, 05:49:59 AM
QuoteRevolution: The act of going around in a circle, eventually winding up back where you started.

There was a piece in a book called Rebels and Devils: The Psychology of Liberation called Rebellion the Biggest "Yes" yet by Osho. He starts with the above premise then argues that what we really need is a rebellion because that doesnt imply coming back to where you started. (I read it a long time ago and then made the mistake of lending it to someone, who lent it to someone... Its gone.)

What it did do was start me thinking. I agree we dont want to just wind up with another bunch of fuckers on top, fucking the rest of us in unfun ways. We already got that, what would be the point of going to all that trouble?

A rebellion would be OK, but for what? Its a little to vague for my tastes. So I thought some more, there are a whole host of words people have used to describe the proccess of individually and/or collectively resisting the powers that be... I decided I liked uprising best. It implies everyone standing up, which kinda describes what I want everyone to do.

Good initial rant too.

Sounds like a riff on Camus.  He drew a distinction between revolution and rebellion, favouring the latter.  The former, he considered a form of ressentiment (ie; formed in reaction to frustration and jealousy at the ruling powers) whereas the latter was born from deep-seated humanitarian convictions of shared dignity, and is inherently positive, even while tearing down the present.

Cain

As for Enlightenment, this was one of the things that Grant Morrisson got very right, so pay attention:

Ari

This twat is not wearing a serious beard and damn, am I laughing.

Don't you think there are similarities between the jailbreak metaphor and becoming aware of the strings your ego keeps yourself on, thus reaching a new level of awareness of your egoic self which will allow to see through the trickery that is being pulled off inside the head?

[/snip] skipping the amusing analogies, someone might spontaneously combust while I try to juggle a dozen angry eels (and the self risk can't be denied either)

~Have a pleasant sunday
パンクビッチ

Honey

oh wait Planeswalker!  Don't go, or, if you do, come back another time & play?  I liked what you said & maybe peoples misunderstood some stuff?
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Honey

& this from the last page of 1984:

Quote...  The longed-for bullet was entering his brain.

He gazed up at the enormous face.  40 years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark mustache.  O cruel, needless misunderstanding!  O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast!  2 gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose.  But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished.  He had won the victory over himself.  He loved BigBrother.

also liked the cartoon & reference to Camus?  Didn't recognize that?  Where please?
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Honey

& sometimes *searching* for enlightenment TM might just be mistaken for curiosity?  yearning?  longing?  desire?  not the end but the beginning of something? 

NOT talking about peoples greedy for enlightenment 'cuz that's just like bein' greedy for anythingelse.

& I dunno but I didn't take it like Planeswalker was referring to that kinda enlightenment?  Maybe clarify please?
Fuck the status quo!

-Bertrand Russell

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: planeswalker on October 26, 2008, 02:45:14 PM
This twat is not wearing a serious beard and damn, am I laughing.

Don't you think there are similarities between the jailbreak metaphor and becoming aware of the strings your ego keeps yourself on, thus reaching a new level of awareness of your egoic self which will allow to see through the trickery that is being pulled off inside the head?

[/snip] skipping the amusing analogies, someone might spontaneously combust while I try to juggle a dozen angry eels (and the self risk can't be denied either)

~Have a pleasant sunday

what I took issue with was how you framed it as though becoming more aware of the trickery of your internal mechanisms is somehow at odds with being hip & cool and having fun.

East Coast Hustle

that, and the fact that in my fairly broad experience, anyone I ever met who talked about enlightenment without being prompted has always turned out to be a twat.