What the shit is all of this?

Started by Surround, August 19, 2011, 04:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: Surround on August 20, 2011, 04:11:30 AM
Quote from: BadBeast on August 19, 2011, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 19, 2011, 03:47:51 PM
Quote from: Surround on August 19, 2011, 04:16:11 AM
Serious question: is the whole point just that discordia is nonsense, or is there something more to it?  I've been into the eastern religions for a while now, as well as the conspiracy/23 stuff, for a while now.  So, what's up with discordianism?

Don't bother reading anything or looking around the forum; you already know as much as you need to know about it.
Truth be told, you probably (by now)know a lot more than you need to know about it. The only way to cauterise the gaping holes left in your brain (Or at the very least, stop them getting any bigger) is to browse through this thread, and let the gently therapeutic images and links work their healing mahdgjicks on your poor, tortured soul.
Eventually, you'll start Giggling. Then you know you've really "Got it".
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=13574.0

That link is off limits to me.  Is this some kind of club that I'm not in?  Can I have the secret handshake?
Oh fer fuxake! Who told him about the handshake?

(Not that handshake, the other one. The one that definitely isn't this one)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Doktor Howl

Probability of poptard approaching 80%.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: BadBeast on August 19, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on August 19, 2011, 05:50:55 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 19, 2011, 02:11:30 PM
Serious question: is the whole point just that discordia is nonsense, or is there something more to it?  I've been into the eastern religions for a while now, as well as the conspiracy/23 stuff, for a while now.  So, what's up with discordianism?

It's a mirror

Aha! This explains why all of us are so fucking HAWT!

Yes, THAT motherfucker. Kill it.

Stella

Has been sweating balls since March.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 20, 2011, 05:26:54 AM

I don't think so.  The grammar and spelling and punctuation aren't the same, and it's all fluid and not some dude banging in here all CRAZY like and then busting our ass for being dillholes.  This guy, so far, has just asked a question that only reveals he didn't read the forum (okay, faux pas) and doen't know what to take away from the PD.

The above is my opinion, and nothing more, and I'll take your bet if you're making one this time. :lulz:

Surround

Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 20, 2011, 06:20:21 AM

I don't think so.  The grammar and spelling and punctuation aren't the same, and it's all fluid and not some dude banging in here all CRAZY like and then busting our ass for being dillholes.  This guy, so far, has just asked a question that only reveals he didn't read the forum (okay, faux pas) and doen't know what to take away from the PD.

The above is my opinion, and nothing more, and I'll take your bet if you're making one this time. :lulz:

I took a brief look at the forum and only saw chaos.  Also I don't know what a poptard is.  If it has to do with poptarts, I am, of course, interested.

Anyway I think I got a flash of insight this morning when I woke up.  I've noticed in the past that you can't really seem to force things to happen.  Making plans seems to be useless, and the good shit always seems to come of its own accord.  This is how I've tended to live and things have always worked out.  Am I on the right track?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Surround on August 20, 2011, 06:05:04 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on August 20, 2011, 06:20:21 AM

I don't think so.  The grammar and spelling and punctuation aren't the same, and it's all fluid and not some dude banging in here all CRAZY like and then busting our ass for being dillholes.  This guy, so far, has just asked a question that only reveals he didn't read the forum (okay, faux pas) and doen't know what to take away from the PD.

I took a brief look at the forum and only saw chaos.  Also I don't know what a poptard is.  If it has to do with poptarts, I am, of course, interested.

Anyway I think I got a flash of insight this morning when I woke up.  I've noticed in the past that you can't really seem to force things to happen.  Making plans seems to be useless, and the good shit always seems to come of its own accord.  This is how I've tended to live and things have always worked out.  Am I on the right track?

Well, yes and no.

And yes, the forum is chaos. Within the chaos is patterns, and if you look for the patterns long enough they will emerge and possibly even make sense.

Discordia is a complete philosophy, and as such cannot easily be summed up in a sentence or two. If you haven't read the Principia Discordia, that would be the place to start: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/1.php (Keep in mind that it was written by stoned hippies. It comes off as gimmicky because it WAS; this book is the origin of that particular pinealist shtick). After that, maybe try Zen Without Zen Masters (http://www.scribd.com/doc/27601605/Zen-Without-Zen-Masters) and The Black Iron Prison (http://www.principiadiscordia.com/bip/1.php). All three are easy, quick reads. If you're still interested after that, there is no shortage of other book recommendations, for sure, and also by that point the forum should be making a lot more sense to you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Yeah, there's nonsense, but it's not a gimmick, if that's what you're asking. Like Nigel said, it's a complete philosophy/worldview, and can't be summed up in simple statements. Kinda like when people try to sum up Philosophical Taoism and end up sounding stupid. It /is/, in many ways, similar to Eastern religions in requiring self discovery and self-delivered "enlightenment" (mysticism, if you will). Different people take away different things.

I was going to add a "what Discordia means to me" statement here, but it would have probably been misleading.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Telarus

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 20, 2011, 07:58:14 PM
I was going to add a "what Discordia means to me" statement here, but it would have probably been misleading.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:  :fnord:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Golden Applesauce

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Discordianism is a complete worldview, because humans are always capable of incorporating more crazy bullshit into what they believe.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

BadBeast

But as a Worldview, Discordianism is perfectly suited to take on board all the crazy bullshit you could ever find. And still have room for a dozen David Icke's worths of blisteringly ridiculous 'What the Fuck'. The Good Ship Discordia, will quite happily sail all day long, where the Pequod, and poor mad Ahab crumpled under the burden of fractured minds.

In fact, fractured minds are what our bulging mainsail uses to plough through the very roughest of ocean swells. And don't even get me started on unfurling the Spinnakers, and the Jibsheets!

ETA;  All aboard? Shudder me timbers Lads, there's a tide to catch!   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

AFK

Discordianisim is when you have a trusted mistrust for what you are seeing, hearing, tasting, feeling, and smelling.  Including when people tell you there are only five senses. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 21, 2011, 07:35:30 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Discordianism is a complete worldview, because humans are always capable of incorporating more crazy bullshit into what they believe.

"Complete" doesn't mean "finished", it means "whole". It can grow and develop, but it doesn't have any gaping holes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

iarmit

Cainad (dec.)

"Gaping holes" in a worldview are the kind of holes you can't use for sexytimes.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish