News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

The TROOF about Discordians.

Started by Zurtok Khan, December 10, 2005, 08:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: renkoya, Im disagreeing. I guess I interpreted the principia differently. The way I see it Discordians are more laid back, easy going, and good-natured. We should have sympathy and agreeability and love, those are all good qualities. you shouldnt be a complete jerkoff just so your "different" or whatever. Thats not accomplishing anything. I say if the principia has one overall message its not to be serious but to be funloving and light-hearted.  Your making us sound like assholes and eris knows there are enough assholes in the world.

Plus, if ya really wanna change things, then youve gotta have some credibility amoungst people, and you instantly lose credibility with most if you lack sympathy, agreeability or love.

Im agreeing with seer here. Although Im not as into the spiritual aspect, I agree that the world is run by religious people who follow, strict, and completely insane dogmas that they will never deviate from. The USA is one step away from a theocracy. For every kid in my school that I make question their faith, or at the very least, see that atheists arent evil immoral people, thats one more point for our side and one less for the impending theocracy.

So, in short, lighten up. Dont be a jackass just becuase you dont want to go by the laws of what society tells you is appropiate conduct. Show some goddamn empathy for other people.

1.  Where was anything like that implied in the PD?

2.  No, usually you just need the most guns.  History is on my side on this one, I think.

3.  And the moment Discordianism becomes "spiritual", it will join the club.

4.  What if I LIKE being a jackass?  What if I think the average jerk is as deserving of my empathy as the average Guinea worm is?  Being a jackass because society tells you not to is Pink, but being a jackass because  that's your nature isn't, necessarily.  For example, I really hate people.  Should I show empathy?  Really?  Because the emotions I show aren't going to involve fluffy white clouds and pink monkeys, you know.  More likely, I'll POOMP my hatred all over the place...and I think everyone around here has had quite enough of THAT.  99.99999% of people are swine...my lack of empathy is all that is keeping me off of a watertower.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The seer

Argument I had with the wife:

"If I had my way I'd make you into a pessimist like me."
"We'll I'd win that struggle, because being a pessimist you'd give up before me."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's more complex than simply being happy Roger. But at the core of it all is the optimism. I'm a thinking optimist.

The seer

Renko: you can't change everyone. Roger is a living lesson in this regard.

Roger: "I am the spirit in which children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy"

If I'm wrong I hereby start my own religion.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seerArgument I had with the wife:

"If I had my way I'd make you into a pessimist like me."
"We'll I'd win that struggle, because being a pessimist you'd give up before me."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It's more complex than simply being happy Roger. But at the core of it all is the optimism. I'm a thinking optimist.

1.  "Positive thinking", along with religion, is a major part of the reason the world is fucked up right now.  "Stop pumping shit into our atmosphere?  Why?  Everything's great...stop being a downer!   Things are looking up!"  *thud*  "The Iraqis will welcome us with candy and rose petals!" *thud*  "If I work hard and apply myself, I will succeed!" *thud*

2.  Thinking Optimist = 1 contradiction in terms.  Optimism is a disease...a rejection of the world as it REALLY is, which prepares you to deal with a non-real version of the world as you WISH it was.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seer

Roger: "I am the spirit in which children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy"

Huh?  "Dancing in the wildflowers", eh?  Well, I have bad news for you...the field is loaded with dioxin, the happy anarchy just turned into a riot, and the clown is really John Wayne Gasey.

That "happy anarchy" would last precisely as long as it would take for one kid to decide he wanted a smaller kid's toy.

And - even assuming the "happy anarchy" doesn't quickly turn into "the rule of the strongest", what the hell makes you think you'll be ALLOWED to dance, Mister Teh Pollyanna?

renko

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: renkoya, Im disagreeing. I guess I interpreted the principia differently. The way I see it Discordians are more laid back, easy going, and good-natured. We should have sympathy and agreeability and love, those are all good qualities. you shouldnt be a complete jerkoff just so your "different" or whatever. Thats not accomplishing anything. I say if the principia has one overall message its not to be serious but to be funloving and light-hearted.  Your making us sound like assholes and eris knows there are enough assholes in the world.

Plus, if ya really wanna change things, then youve gotta have some credibility amoungst people, and you instantly lose credibility with most if you lack sympathy, agreeability or love.

Im agreeing with seer here. Although Im not as into the spiritual aspect, I agree that the world is run by religious people who follow, strict, and completely insane dogmas that they will never deviate from. The USA is one step away from a theocracy. For every kid in my school that I make question their faith, or at the very least, see that atheists arent evil immoral people, thats one more point for our side and one less for the impending theocracy.

So, in short, lighten up. Dont be a jackass just becuase you dont want to go by the laws of what society tells you is appropiate conduct. Show some goddamn empathy for other people.

1.  Where was anything like that implied in the PD?

2.  No, usually you just need the most guns.  History is on my side on this one, I think.

3.  And the moment Discordianism becomes "spiritual", it will join the club.

4.  What if I LIKE being a jackass?  What if I think the average jerk is as deserving of my empathy as the average Guinea worm is?  Being a jackass because society tells you not to is Pink, but being a jackass because  that's your nature isn't, necessarily.  For example, I really hate people.  Should I show empathy?  Really?  Because the emotions I show aren't going to involve fluffy white clouds and pink monkeys, you know.  More likely, I'll POOMP my hatred all over the place...and I think everyone around here has had quite enough of THAT.  99.99999% of people are swine...my lack of empathy is all that is keeping me off of a watertower.

1. seer covered that with the happy anarchy quote.

2. Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Darwin, Copernicus. All these people incited huge amounts of change without a single gun. Thats the kind of revolution I want to be part of.

3. No, discordianism joins the club when it starts saying its members should act a certain way and that they should try and force other people to think like them.

4.Well I guess you and I differ here. Cuase I think 99% of people are good deepdown, just misguided by society and standards.

The seer

Which just goes to show how little you actually think.

You say it is impossible to be positive without being blind to all the goings wrong around us. There's nothing to say that a person cannot have hopes for  some kind of positive outcome while still acknowledging the state the planet is in. You embrace your negativity as being more true because you have set your impression of optimism as being inherently flawed.
You take one experience of an optimist and accuse all people who think positively of being shiny happy people. Sounds to me like you're a big believer in universals, like jim jones, pat robertson, Bush...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: renko

1. seer covered that with the happy anarchy quote.

2. Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Darwin, Copernicus. All these people incited huge amounts of change without a single gun. Thats the kind of revolution I want to be part of.

3. No, discordianism joins the club when it starts saying its members should act a certain way and that they should try and force other people to think like them.

4.Well I guess you and I differ here. Cuase I think 99% of people are good deepdown, just misguided by society and standards.

1.  Apples and oranges.

2.  You are, of course, aware of what happened to these people?

3.  Where did anyone say that?  The OP was expressing HIS view of Discordianism, not commanding you to behave in a certain way.  

4.  Um...they CREATED and ARE the fucking society and its standards.  Just saying.

TGRR,
Is just saying.

Chlorine

That's about how I look at it.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

be your self

the end.

now wasnt that easy?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The seerWhich just goes to show how little you actually think.

You say it is impossible to be positive without being blind to all the goings wrong around us. There's nothing to say that a person cannot have hopes for  some kind of positive outcome while still acknowledging the state the planet is in. You embrace your negativity as being more true because you have set your impression of optimism as being inherently flawed.

You take one experience of an optimist and accuse all people who think positively of being shiny happy people. Sounds to me like you're a big believer in universals, like jim jones, pat robertson, Bush...

1.  Whoa...straight to the ad hominem, eh, monkey boy?  :lol:

2.  Nope.  I'm saying it is STUPID to be positive, not impossible.  People are positive all the fucking time...and what has it gotten us?  A polluted rock overcrowded with dumbasses who are only good at fucking just a bit faster than they kill each other.  And I embrace my negativity, because it has never steered me wrong.

3.  Woooo...and a strawman, too!  You, sir, are multi-talented.  On the other hand, I specifically stated that people being jackasses is NOT universal.  I think I allowed for a .000001 deviation, which I consider reasonable, if a little generous.

Chlorine

Quote from: mian tiao Fredbe your self

the end.

now wasnt that easy?
That method is so simple that hardly anybody believes it works.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: mian tiao Fredbe your self

the end.

now wasnt that easy?

I am.  But Buddhaboi thinks this makes me:  thick, Jim Jones, Pat Robertson, and unthinking.

:lol:

TGRR,
Loves poking the fluffies into making insults.  Because he was born wrong.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

you all are just arguing on life perspective
which is rather pointless
that is why is it PERSPECTIVE
only you can  see it the way you see it
and no one really cares about other pepoles points of view
silly people!!

Chlorine

Quote from: mian tiao Fredyou all are just arguing on life perspective
which is rather pointless
that is why is it PERSPECTIVE
only you can  see it the way you see it
and no one really cares about other pepoles points of view
silly people!!
We should all argue about your point now.