News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Diaspora

Started by Cramulus, December 21, 2010, 12:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 23, 2011, 05:05:31 AM
So, I'm debating. Is it worth it? I mean, I've never been a big fan of these types of sites. But, I think this one actually has potential from what I've heard about itl, but since I haven't actually seen it, I don't know. So could one of you let me know if it seems to be living up to the hype?

theres not a lot going on right now.  Eventually there will be, but right now everything is very alpha. Not as many functions as facebook. I'm enjoying being a part of this thing at alpha, I'm liking watching the development, but I wouldn't recommend it as a social network just yet.

Richter

It's no Facebook yet, that's for certain.
The main thing I miss is cruising through different people's profiles, seeing who's friends of who, and finding other people I know.  Diaspora, AFAIK, doesn't do this yet.  It's not really browseable in any way I've yet discovered.  The lack of content / useage is a factor too, but that would go for Facebook too, if it wasn't so widely used. 

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Phox

Quote from: Cramulus on January 24, 2011, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 23, 2011, 05:05:31 AM
So, I'm debating. Is it worth it? I mean, I've never been a big fan of these types of sites. But, I think this one actually has potential from what I've heard about itl, but since I haven't actually seen it, I don't know. So could one of you let me know if it seems to be living up to the hype?

theres not a lot going on right now.  Eventually there will be, but right now everything is very alpha. Not as many functions as facebook. I'm enjoying being a part of this thing at alpha, I'm liking watching the development, but I wouldn't recommend it as a social network just yet.

Yes, that's all understandable at this stage of development. I suppose my question is whether it is developing well (kind of subjective, really), and if the development team is responding in a timely and efficient manner to concerns and bugs. I tend to question these "idealistic" developers.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 24, 2011, 07:38:52 PM
I tend to question these "idealistic" developers.

really? cause in my experience "idealistic" developers usually are the best kind.

In this particular case you might be right, however. These kids got an assload of money (wait now I remember why Nigel's so pissed off, she donated some didn't she?) because they got a really good swing from NYTimes media hype. While at the same moment there were a couple of other projects trying to do the same thing (decentralized Facebook with extra privacy), and they were a bit further in development as well. The Diaspora team basically just stole the limelights.

That's not to say they can't be of the idealistic and proper kind of developers though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Phox

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 24, 2011, 09:21:26 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 24, 2011, 07:38:52 PM
I tend to question these "idealistic" developers.

really? cause in my experience "idealistic" developers usually are the best kind.

In this particular case you might be right, however. These kids got an assload of money (wait now I remember why Nigel's so pissed off, she donated some didn't she?) because they got a really good swing from NYTimes media hype. While at the same moment there were a couple of other projects trying to do the same thing (decentralized Facebook with extra privacy), and they were a bit further in development as well. The Diaspora team basically just stole the limelights.

That's not to say they can't be of the idealistic and proper kind of developers though.

That's why it's in quotation marks, Trip. Truly idealistic developers ARE the best. Nowadays, everyone* just claims to be idealistic, for that reason. So, I'm jaded.

*=Cynical hyperbole

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hover Cat on January 23, 2011, 05:48:34 PM
I suspect they'll send you your invite, Nigel, when it's not in alpha anymore. Alpha's getting better, but still very bare bones.

In the face with a sharp stick, repeatedly.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."