News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Radio Free Discordia

Started by Mourning Star, April 28, 2008, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourning Star

So, many many years ago, for about 5 years in fact, I ran an interwebs radio show.  Once a week, using MS Streaming Server (Shoutcast had not yet been invented)

And it was quite enjoyable, but as time went on, my life didn't allow for this sort of thing anymore.  But I've been thinking it'd be nice to start it back up, and I'm thinking, why not a Discordian Radio Station?

Let me explain...

The beauty of shoutcast, is that the server can run from a single, central, location, while the various DJs can broadcast to the server, which then streams it to the teeming masses of listeners, meaning the server takes all the brunt of the users sucking it's bandwidth, while the DJ only has to have enough upstream to handle broadcasting to just the server.

What does that mean?

Let's say we had a shoutcast server (Not too expensive to buy hosting for this)

When it was time for My show, I would start broadcasting to the server.  When it was time for the next DJ, they start to broadcast.

All this requires is that someone has Windows, Linux, or (possibly) MacOS.  And a few pieces of 100% free software.  (of course, having a music collection, and a microphone wouldn't hurt either.)

It's actually really easy to get set up, and honestly, I think this could be a lot of fun.  We have a LOT of creative people here, so I'm sure we could have all sorts of different shows, talk, music, skits, etc.

Anyway.  Obviously I'm not gonna drop any money on this to buy server space unless people are actually interested.

So let's hear what everyone thinks eh?

AFK

Sounds like a great idea.

I did a couple of radio shows back in the college days.  Not sure if I'd really have the time to do it now, unless I was able to record shows and have someone else air them for me.  I also could contribute any of my songs for airing.  Perhaps a 10 minute pun routine?  Oh, right, you'd want listeners, nevermind. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mourning Star

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 28, 2008, 06:38:03 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

I did a couple of radio shows back in the college days.  Not sure if I'd really have the time to do it now, unless I was able to record shows and have someone else air them for me.  I also could contribute any of my songs for airing.  Perhaps a 10 minute pun routine?  Oh, right, you'd want listeners, nevermind. 

Pre-Recorded segments would be OUTSTANDING.

Live DJs would be great, but if people can contribute pre-recorded shows or segments, that would make scheduling easier.
  If enough people are interested we can start coming up with a schedule and stuff.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 28, 2008, 06:38:03 PMPerhaps a 10 minute pun routine?

i'd love that.

also, i could donate my mixes, but i think everybody who's interested has heard them by now :)

i can possibly also do live DJing, but while having listeners is fun, not seeing them rock out on the dancefloor isn't :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mourning Star

Keep in mind this doesn't have to be music.

It can be talk-radio

music

comedy

if it has a sound, and you want to broadcast it.  and it may interest others, it'll work

Thurnez Isa

Id be willing to help
but not until my students finish their recital mid-june
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mourning Star

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on April 28, 2008, 06:54:14 PM
Id be willing to help
but not until my students finish their recital mid-june

Broadcast it!  :)

:)  This is good, a few responses.  Hopefully we'll keep getting more people.  I'd like to see this take off pretty big.

LMNO

Ask Syn if you can broadcast the POEEcasts.  There should be some good material there.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Mourning Star on April 28, 2008, 06:53:55 PM
if it has a sound, and you want to broadcast it.  and it may interest others, it'll work

cool, we should broadcast those sonic weapon things, then :)

but seriously,

you're familiar with POEEcast right? it's currently not really being broadcast anywhere, afaik, but Syn has already quite a collection of mp3s/podcasts made by various people from here and over there. could be used as a nice kickstart.

and i could probably do a sort of non-mixing radio DJ thing that's not about discordia at all but just some random jabbering as an excuse to bug all of you for 60-90 minutes with some choice vocoders and psydub :mrgreen:

oh, and i told you that you have a great DJing voice, right? :) you should totally announce the shows.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mourning Star

I'm not familiar with the POEEcasts  how would be the best way to find/hear them, and how to best get in touch with Syn?

Quote from: triple zero on April 28, 2008, 07:02:40 PM

and i could probably do a sort of non-mixing radio DJ thing that's not about discordia at all but just some random jabbering as an excuse to bug all of you for 60-90 minutes with some choice vocoders and psydub

oh, and i told you that you have a great DJing voice, right? :) you should totally announce the shows.

Absolutely, a music show would be great trip!  I'll probably do a mix of talk and music for my segment.

Also, thanks for the compliment.

LMNO

Suu

I should totally do a radio show.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on April 28, 2008, 07:08:00 PM
poee.co.uk/boards

to be complete, the POEEcasts are kept in a dedicated subforum on that board, which you can see as soon as you've regged and announced you're not a robot.

oh, you can also check them out without registering here:
http://poee.co.uk/site/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,8/

but the best way to reach Syn is to PM him on his forum, of course.

Cain

My podcast, once its finished, will likely fit this bill.

Me + musak + talking.  About half an hour or so in total, I'm thinking.

Mourning Star

*likes where this thread is going*