News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Arsenic? In MY apple juice?

Started by Suu, November 30, 2011, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

And here I was just worried about my eyeshadow.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nutrition/arsenic-in-juice

QuoteFive samples of apple juice and four of grape juice had total arsenic levels exceeding the 10 ppb federal limit for bottled and drinking water. Levels in the apple juices ranged from 1.1 to 13.9 ppb, and grape-juice levels were even higher, 5.9 to 24.7 ppb. Most of the total arsenic in our samples was inorganic, our tests showed.

As for lead, about one fourth of all juice samples had levels at or above the 5-ppb limit for bottled water. The top lead level for apple juice was 13.6 ppb; for grape juice, 15.9 ppb.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Jenne

Must be the seeds--they don't get them out of the way when they crush the apples.  I've always heard there's a tiny bit of arsenic in every seed.  Seems the article puts it down to pesticides.

Cramulus

there's a good Lewis Black skit about this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-22-2011/back-in-black---threats-to-america-s-children

"They want to take the arsenic out of apple juice? Hell, the arsenic is the only thing that keeps me regular!"

Phox

Quote from: Jenne on November 30, 2011, 08:47:10 PM
Must be the seeds--they don't get them out of the way when they crush the apples.  I've always heard there's a tiny bit of arsenic in every seed.  Seems the article puts it down to pesticides.
That was my initial thought as well.

LMNO

This thing it so totally out of hand.  "Dr Oz", the NBC quack, started this fucking thing.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm271394.htm

Donald Zink, Ph.D, senior science advisor at FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN), explains that arsenic is present in the environment as a naturally occurring substance or as a result of contamination from human activity.  It is found in water, air, food, and soil in organic and inorganic forms.

As a result, small amounts of arsenic can be found in certain food and beverage products—including fruit juices and juice concentrates.

Suu

I know that arsenic is going to be in the juices no matter what (and cyanide in peaches, for that matter), but they seem to be pointing out that some brands are over the limit.

Granted, if you're giving your kids tons of juices from concentrate on a regular basis to which that much arsenic could be an issue, you're in for a whole goddamn world of health problems aside from poisoning.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

It's exceeding limits placed on bottled water.  There's no limit on juice.  And a significant portion of it is inorganic arsenic, which is not the stuff you'd get from seeds, and is a carcinogen.

That's what I gathered from page 1.  That's a seven page article though.  Fuck that.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 30, 2011, 08:54:47 PM
This thing it so totally out of hand.  "Dr Oz", the NBC quack, started this fucking thing.

Oh, I hate that fucking guy.  It's not his fault, he's just getting paid, right?  But here's the thing:  Since my mother became more or less incapacitated, she mostly sits in front of the TV set stoned on PILLS HERE, and she's come to view the plastic people in her television set as real people with which she has some interaction.

So every time I visit, I have to be super fucking careful to NOT mention anything at all about health, or I get to hear about what FUCKING DR OZ had to say about something similar.  Sometimes I hear it anyway.  She's not TRYING to be annoying, she's just high as hell.  She even told me what DR FUCKING OZ had to say about baldness.  IE, she has forgotten that I'm not actually bald, but shaven.  This upsets me about as much as you'd expect.  She's not senile, but you can see it from here, right?  And it's bad enough hearing about all the REAL GHOST shows she watches, but then it's DR FUCKING OZ.

I've never even seen the guy, and I want to throw him in a log splitter.  It's not HIS fault my mom is going loopy, but I don't feel the need to be rational about this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2011, 09:33:58 PM

Oh, I hate that fucking guy.  It's not his fault, he's just getting paid, right?  But here's the thing:  Since my mother became more or less incapacitated, she mostly sits in front of the TV set stoned on PILLS HERE, and she's come to view the plastic people in her television set as real people with which she has some interaction.

So every time I visit, I have to be super fucking careful to NOT mention anything at all about health, or I get to hear about what FUCKING DR OZ had to say about something similar.  Sometimes I hear it anyway.  She's not TRYING to be annoying, she's just high as hell.  She even told me what DR FUCKING OZ had to say about baldness.  IE, she has forgotten that I'm not actually bald, but shaven.  This upsets me about as much as you'd expect.  She's not senile, but you can see it from here, right?  And it's bad enough hearing about all the REAL GHOST shows she watches, but then it's DR FUCKING OZ.

I've never even seen the guy, and I want to throw him in a log splitter.  It's not HIS fault my mom is going loopy, but I don't feel the need to be rational about this.

:( I love your mom, she's cool as shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 30, 2011, 09:57:29 PM

She's also higher than fuck most of the time, and watches television from dusk til dawn.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Yes, apple seeds have arsenic. However, you'd have to eat the seeds from a whole barrel of apples for it to make a difference. As EoC pointed, out, this is inorganic arsenic. Also, lead. Apple seeds don't have high levels of lead. Also, doesn't explain the even higher levels in the grapes.

My money is on the soil in the orchards and vineyards being contaminated with lead and arsenic. The trees grow, bloom, fruit, and the heavy metals go into the apples. Thus in the juice. Either that, or contamination in the pressing/concentrating machinery. The former is more likely than the latter.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 30, 2011, 10:05:27 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on November 30, 2011, 09:57:29 PM

Oh, I hate that fucking guy.  It's not his fault, he's just getting paid, right?  But here's the thing:  Since my mother became more or less incapacitated, she mostly sits in front of the TV set stoned on PILLS HERE, and she's come to view the plastic people in her television set as real people with which she has some interaction.

So every time I visit, I have to be super fucking careful to NOT mention anything at all about health, or I get to hear about what FUCKING DR OZ had to say about something similar.  Sometimes I hear it anyway.  She's not TRYING to be annoying, she's just high as hell.  She even told me what DR FUCKING OZ had to say about baldness.  IE, she has forgotten that I'm not actually bald, but shaven.  This upsets me about as much as you'd expect.  She's not senile, but you can see it from here, right?  And it's bad enough hearing about all the REAL GHOST shows she watches, but then it's DR FUCKING OZ.

I've never even seen the guy, and I want to throw him in a log splitter.  It's not HIS fault my mom is going loopy, but I don't feel the need to be rational about this.

She's also higher than fuck most of the time, and watches television from dusk til dawn.

Sadface. :sad:

ETA: To clarify, the effects of tv + higher than fuck = sadface.

Kai

I mean, think about it. Contaminants tend to magnify in concentration in plants over time. The soil and water in the orchard could be relatively low, but trees take in a LOT of water and nutrients from the soil and concentrate it in their tissues. Given that, as LMNO pointed out, these contaminants are everywhere, it makes as much sense that they would be concentrated (heh) in fruit juice as it does that mercury levels are high in predatory fish.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Suu

Unfortunately, these elements were here before us. So it's not like we can do something to make the world lead, arsenic, and mercury free, but I'm sure there's some lunatics out there that think we can.

Kai

Quote from: Suu on November 30, 2011, 10:36:09 PM
Unfortunately, these elements were here before us. So it's not like we can do something to make the world lead, arsenic, and mercury free, but I'm sure there's some lunatics out there that think we can.

Yeah, they were here on earth before us. They weren't contaminating EVERYTHING until we started spewing them into the atmosphere though.