News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Dead thread - posted in error

Started by Bogus Magus, June 05, 2007, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Magus

I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

hooplala

Bogus,

These people aren't going out of their way to be assholes, and neither am I.  This is how this forum is.  Either you like it, or you don't . . . people have tried to change it and it doesn't work.

You either merge to some degree, or you eventually find other places to post which fit your personality better.

It's not the end of the world.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Darth Cupcake

The purpose of the 50 post rule is to provide an opportunity to have the sandpit moment without having to have a specifically sanctioned "playpen" as it were, complete with adult supervision and padded corners and extra-big pencils to make everything easier. No no no. Everyone gets the 50 posts so that they can safely leap into the fray and participate. Newbs learn very little from interacting with each other, whereas they WILL learn by interacting with board veterans. Likewise, board veterans will get more out of newbs if the newbs contributes to the forum instead of just masturbating each other.

You have potential, so I would recommend dropping this idea of newb safety zone and experimenting with really getting into the thick of the board. There's so much good stuff here; don't miss out on it because of an idea that, well, obviously isn't working. I'm the only other newb who has shown up here, so evidently this newb cuddlefest isn't going to happen. Move on to bigger and better things while you still have less than fiddy posts.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Payne

Damn you cupcake. Writing my words before I get a chance to post them. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

any way, what DC said and : It's not about scaring, it's about facing uncomfortable concepts.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Payne on June 06, 2007, 12:00:32 AM
Damn you cupcake. Writing my words before I get a chance to post them. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

It's an old Jedi mind trick. 8)

-DC
Not the droid you're looking for
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Bogus Magus

Quote from: Baron von Hoopla on June 05, 2007, 11:57:13 PM
Bogus,

These people aren't going out of their way to be assholes, and neither am I.  This is how this forum is.  Either you like it, or you don't . . . people have tried to change it and it doesn't work.

You either merge to some degree, or you eventually find other places to post which fit your personality better.

Well, come on now. I didn't go out of my way to be an asshole either. I invited fellow newbies into one thread to share their confusion, and got stomped by people who've been here for years.

I don't care, but I don't see where the problem lies.

I'd have put it somewhere more discrete, but it said:

Principia Discussion
Talk about the book. Ask questions. Pick each other's brains. Pick fleas out of each other's fur. We don't care.

Foolish of me, I know, but I believed the heading.

Hey ho.

If you can't change a forum, how the fuck can you expect to change yourself or the world? I got my BIP, you got yours.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

hooplala

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 06, 2007, 12:06:06 AM
Bogus,

Well, come on now. I didn't go out of my way to be an asshole either. I invited fellow newbies into one thread to share their confusion, and got stomped by people who've been here for years.

Principia Discussion
Talk about the book. Ask questions. Pick each other's brains. Pick fleas out of each other's fur. We don't care.

Hey ho.

If you can't change a forum, how the fuck can you expect to change yourself or the world? I got my BIP, you got yours.

::shrugs::
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

If you think that was stomping, you clearly haven't seen focused forum hate. People have been relatively diplomatic in trying to explain why you're catching heat and you're still playing the "everyone is so mean to me, the veterans are all assholes!" card.

these kids have been relatively nice to you.

If you want to see what these forums are like when you actually piss people off, check this out.

Principia Discussion

I think you may be confusing that heading with "In this forum no one will critique you and everyone is nice to each other." If that were true, this forum would be full of garbage. (as opposed to now where it's mostly garbage)

Citation: check out the threads from like 2005.

Bogus Magus

Hey ho. Well,  have no fear.

Someone just popped into MLA to shout "fuck you!" which really impressed the locals. So I guess you could say "we're even".  If I had any caution I'd have used an anonymous avatar. As a relatively unarmoured entity I still blunder about in a good-natured way - assuming goodwill.

And there I was, hoping for a little creative exchange... (sigh) they're just ephemeral words on a screen guys, and I already found far more interesting parts of the PD site to read.

BIP seems a fascinating project, and the Quantum thread already intrigues me, and I intend (outside of this thread) to show respect.

But this thread won't go away, or sink into oblivion, and I don't need a nOOb safety zone or anything, so I have REALLY contributed to the Chaos and Confusion now.

So it goes.

That One Guy

Bogus,

Principia Discussion

Hey ho.

Why do you want to change it though? Is there something YOU object to? This forum HAS changed in the past, and likely will in the future. There have been two major structural and "nettiquette" shifts in the past handful of years, and constant minor fluctuations. Just because it isn't changing the way you might want it to, doesn't mean that change is not happening.

In the past few months, I've been and seen "noobs" wander in. I took a look around, was interested by what I saw, made and continue to make some contribution to the place and move ideas here forward. Does whatever number or title I have by my (made up) avatar name matter at all in how those ideas are received? Not that I'm aware of. Does the fact that I lurked for a week before diving in make a difference? Not that I've seen.

Then again, I place no special importance on any of it, so it's not one of the "buttons" you seem so intent on pushing. If that's all you want to do, well then maintain the "confusion for the sake of confusion." If you want to take part in the dialogue of the forums (and really, why post at all if you don't?) then by all means do so.

I've probably written 3 times as many posts as I've actually hit the Post button for, because I proofread it and make sure I'm saying what I want to say. If I get something wrong I hope I get corrected. If I piss some people off, I hope they let me know. I hope that what I say sparks a discussion, not an argument or a flamefest. That's just me, though. Others around here love to hear the crackle of the fire.

Saying that you value one approach over another is fine with me. However, saying that one approach or another is better for ME (or anyone else, for that matter) when you are not me, is something that many people have taken objection to. I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I prefer to change my ways based on a convincing argument based on evidence rather than solely on the objections of someone else.

If you wanted to push our buttons (and from what I've seen since I've been here, this is only a mild reaction), why does it appear that we're pushing yours just as much?
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Bogus Magus

Just a mistake from a nOOb.

Sorry to waste your time.

The preceding responses answered some stupid shit I posted to try to be funny. I haven't edited myself to make them look stupid, but because I know nothing of online forum behaviour, and attracted a deserved (if over the top) kicking.

Not that some people may let it drop, because apparently they just like kicking people when they're down, and apologies are pointless, and probably display weakness.  I just find 2nd Circuit stuff boring far too quickly.

But I apologise anyway - and will lurk, or try to make intelligent contributions when I feel I have something to add.

I have posted the same information at the beginning of the thread.  What more can I say?

Mourning Star

Quote from: Bogus Magus on June 06, 2007, 03:11:29 AM
Just a mistake from a nOOb.

Sorry to waste your time.

The preceding responses answered some stupid shit I posted to try to be funny. I haven't edited myself to make them look stupid, but because I know nothing of online forum behaviour, and attracted a deserved (if over the top) kicking.

Not that some people may let it drop, because apparently they just like kicking people when they're down, and apologies are pointless, and probably display weakness.  I just find 2nd Circuit stuff boring far too quickly.

But I apologise anyway - and will lurk, or try to make intelligent contributions when I feel I have something to add.

I have posted the same information at the beginning of the thread.  What more can I say?

The post that was here, I was attempting to respond to...you edited it again, making your little words disappear...

Fuck me you're spineless...

In reponse to you're statement that we've got SOME intelligent people here, and SOME dickheads here....
you're only half right...

We've got Intelligent Dickheads...  TGRR being among my favourites...

to paraphrase.

Believe it or not TGRR is one hell of a human being, he just needs noobish idiots to throw inanity at him for the rest of his life.

Anyway, there's no point there...

Stop worrying about making amends for the stupidity you've demonstrated so far.  Simply say "I see, I was an idiot..."  And then never speak again of your rampant idiocy, move into a shining new world where you interact and contribute, instead of just sitting in the manure pile complaining about how everyone keeps lumping shit onto you.

Also...go take a shower, you smell like manure...

Payne

I'll accept your almost apology in a sec Magus.....

Only because you twice been called spineless, and I happen to have this kicking about...

O.K. "Almost apology" accepted, go out and interact, which you have shown you can do elsewhere on the board quite well. Now let's never speak of this again....

Cramulus

if you see the responses to your posts as merely territorialism and tribal power games, I caution you may be missing the point.

Somewhere along the line, someone mentioned how all the "high post count" people seem to be controlling things. To me, this is another great illustration of the Law of Fives - if you're looking for second-circuit bullshit, you tend to see it everywhere.

I won't disagree that there's a lot of dick waving and shouting that goes on here, but if that bugs you, ignore it. It's not the point, it's the tone. A lot of people are rude or mean out of boredom, or for the lulz - not the need to lord themselves over someone else. And yes, some of them shit hate for fun, but that doesn't mean they don't have anything cool to say.

in conclusion, I do hope you'll make the decision to stick around - or not - based on something other than getting sneered at by a few people. It happens. And if you let it get under your skin, aren't you just engaging in the second-circuit submissive role?  :p

Here is a moustache ride - free of charge

Payne