News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

The Myth of Japanese Longevity

Started by Iason Ouabache, August 19, 2010, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/world/asia/15japan.html?_r=1&src=tptw

QuoteTOKYO — Japan  has long boasted of having many of the world's oldest people — testament, many here say, to a society with a superior diet and a commitment to its elderly that is unrivaled in the West.

That was before the police found the body of a man thought to be one of Japan's oldest, at 111 years, mummified in his bed, dead for more than three decades. His daughter, now 81, hid his death to continue collecting his monthly pension payments, the police said.

Alarmed, local governments began sending teams to check on other elderly residents. What they found so far has been anything but encouraging.

A woman thought to be Tokyo's oldest, who would be 113, was last seen in the 1980s. Another woman, who would be the oldest in the world at 125, is also missing, and probably has been for a long time. When city officials tried to visit her at her registered address, they discovered that the site had been turned into a city park, in 1981.

To date, the authorities have been unable to find more than 281 Japanese who had been listed in records as 100 years old or older. Facing a growing public outcry, the country's health minister, Akira Nagatsuma, said officials would meet with every person listed as 110 or older to verify that they are alive; Tokyo officials made the same promise for the 3,000 or so residents listed as 100 and up.

So the common wisdom about Japanese people living long due isn't due to reverence for the elderly and health diets but to the fact that the Japanese like to abandon their elderly and the government doesn't bother to keep track of people.   :horrormirth:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Prince Glittersnatch III

She went through the trouble of mummifying her father?
Where does one even acquire the knowledge to do that?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Thurnez Isa

Their probably all just playing WOW
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Placid Dingo

I'm fairly sure there's still a fairly high life expectency in general.

Especially in Okinawa.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

I agree with PD, but this is still pretty damn funny.

Sano

Quote from: Kingderp on August 19, 2010, 07:14:34 AM
She went through the trouble of mummifying her father?
Where does one even acquire the knowledge to do that?

She probably just covered him with toilet paper.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Kai

Quote from: Placid Dingo on August 19, 2010, 10:16:36 AM
I'm fairly sure there's still a fairly high life expectency in general.

Especially in Okinawa.

This is correct.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish