News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Thomas Jefferson kicked out of Texas schools

Started by Iason Ouabache, March 11, 2010, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Well...

On December 29, 1845, Congress admitted Texas to the U.S. as a constituent state of the Union.
When Texas was annexed, Mexico broke diplomatic relations with the United States.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 20, 2010, 08:01:42 PM
Wow.

So, how did Texas manage to garner this amount of power?

it has the most elegantly shaped border possible...  that makes other states defer to us by some primitive circuit.

also, our belt buckles.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have a belt buckle with titties on it. Do I get power?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 21, 2010, 04:25:29 AM
I have a belt buckle with titties on it. Do I get power?

only if it's big enough that you can carry a firearm in it.  well, i guess that's just for TX rodeo buckles....
you should probably have to hide a riding crop in yours, i guess...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 20, 2010, 05:13:10 AM
What I would like to know is if the textbook writers take one look at these standards and say "No fucking way" or will there be a publisher out there greedy/conservative enough to step up to the plate? How binding are their standards anyways?

:lulz:

Optimist.  They had the publisher lined up well in advance.  The publisher will also be a high-bid, and will get the contract anyway.

I absolutely guarantee it.  What you are seeing is a dog & pony show to introduce what's already been decided and planned.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: Iptuous on March 20, 2010, 02:15:22 PM

seriously, though...  do you know whether it is common for books outside of the ESL market to have a 'national version', and is it often a CA version frequently?

yeah, most book publishers run different editions for different states. In ESL publishing, only states with complex standards AND big education budgets get this kind of attention. ESL is a narrow market, we only have like two competitors, so if we get listed in Texas and our competition doesn't, it's a few million bucks that only we have access to.

The CA standards are relatively loose and up to interpretation, which is why the National versions (at least in my industry) look a lot like the CA versions. The TX standard review board is really anal and precise, and makes sure each standard is followed to the exact letter. Their process is also the most politicized, which is why you get standards which seem to have a left wing or right wing slant. That's why TX is covered after we write the national version, because it requires the most editing and vague wording.

UNLucky for the texas review board, most textbooks in the country are written by new yorkers. Most of whom are former teachers.  :lol: The editors are pretty well acquainted with how much bullshit is built into these standards, and they try to meet them without making it the focus of the reading / activity / unit / whatever.

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 20, 2010, 08:01:42 PM
Wow.

So, how did Texas manage to garner this amount of power?

Stuff like education standards are left completely up to the states. Every state could have a process like this, but only texas has standards which are so politicized and influenced by public debate.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 21, 2010, 05:49:25 AM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 20, 2010, 05:13:10 AM
What I would like to know is if the textbook writers take one look at these standards and say "No fucking way" or will there be a publisher out there greedy/conservative enough to step up to the plate? How binding are their standards anyways?

:lulz:

Optimist.  They had the publisher lined up well in advance.  The publisher will also be a high-bid, and will get the contract anyway.

I absolutely guarantee it.  What you are seeing is a dog & pony show to introduce what's already been decided and planned.

The publishers really are at the whim of the state review board. Texas's education budget represents a lot of money, and generally, publishers don't care what they're printing as long as the schools buy the books. Anybody who wants to sell books in texas accepts that it will involve a lot of controversy and frustrating last minute changes.