PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Cooking the Badges way: Just Fucking Wing It

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, September 18, 2008, 07:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO on May 03, 2010, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on May 03, 2010, 02:35:32 AM
*I always have a debate over whether A) soaking does anything and B) the peppers actually add any flavor.  But if I have them, why not use?  Can't hurt.

For the recipe you're using, the best reason I can think to soak them is that if you threw dried peppers into an extremely hot wok, they may begin to smoke, releasing the burning hot oils into the air, creating a lovely ambience of mace.

Yes this, I tried a recipe once that you were supposed to "toast" dried peppers.  Never said I was the sharpest tool.  Almost killed me and the kids. (not literally)  Kitchen made your eyes water for a couple of days..  It was really bad.

This recipe sounds really good.  We love spicy food!

I'm wondering, since I don't have tai basil in my window garden, if I could use regular basil with a bit of fennel?

LMNO

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: Badge, that recipe sounds fantastic.

BADGE OF HONOR

It is incredibly delicious and takes about fifteen minutes start to finish!  I'm just sad that I don't have very many leftovers.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

I AM MAKING POP TARTS.  HONEST TO GO POP TARTS.  AND I'M DOING IT RATHER BADLY.  WILL REPORT BACK IN AN HOUR WITH RESULTS, UNLESS I MANAGE TO POISON MYSELF TO DEATH, IN WHICH CASE SO LONG FUCKERS.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

BADGE OF HONOR

Trip report:  not bad!  They're hell of ugly but tasty.  And I inadvertently taught myself how to make pie crust at the same time.

BADGE OF HONOR

Quote from: BADGE OF HONOR on March 07, 2010, 06:25:10 AM
THE BEST FUCKING POTATOES EVER MADE GOD BLESS THE GERMANS

3 potatoes
2 onions, chopped
bacon (idk how much)
1 pkg sauerkraut
1/2 cup or so dry white wine
sugar
pepper

Cut your bacon into little bits, fry them til they're crispy and delicious.  Set aside.  Fry your onions in the bacon grease.  Drain your sauerkraut, cook in wine for like ten minutes or something.  Add a little sugar, a little pepper.  Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch or so chunks, boil them til they're mashable, mash.  Add everything else.  Try to pretend that this dish doesn't far outstrip everything else you made for dinner.  Shamelessly go for seconds cause fuck it this is awesome.

I just made this again tonight.  *Homer food coma gargle*

BADGE OF HONOR

Dysfunctional Cunt

I want one of those yummy looking tarts!!!!

Beautiful crust, did you use butter or lard?

BADGE OF HONOR

Pickled Beets

Beets

Equal parts:
Water
Vinegar
Sugar

Boil beets unpeeled.  When they're soft, yank off the skins and cut to your desired dimensions.  Boil enough water and vinegar to cover the beets completely, add in sugar and make sure it's dissolved completely.  Let steep for at least a couple hours.  Voila, you have picked beets!  Refrigerate in a glass container.

BADGE OF HONOR

Hyderabadi tomato relish

~4 tomatoes, peeled seeded and cut into thin slices
6-8 hot green chilis, halved and seeded (or not, if you're hard core)
6+ cloves of garlic, peeled but still whole
1/2 tsp whole cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne (or other red pepper)
1 tsp salt

Heat some oil up p. damn hot.  Throw in cumin seeds, stir fry until they're brown and fragrant (like 30 seconds).  Add garlic and chilis, stir fry for about a minute (do not let your face get anywhere near the pot or you will get fumigated).  Add everything else, let cook on high for a couple minutes and then simmer for like an hour or something. 

The garlic cloves transform into something miraculously delicious. Mmmmm.