News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

What is it with all the 20-something drones?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Luna

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2011, 02:42:46 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 06, 2011, 02:18:01 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2011, 02:15:26 PM
The current songs of Lady GaGa... Katy Perry... et al... are NOT helping in this matter.

"It Gets Better" doesn't mean people will get nicer.  It means your skin will toughen up.

I was thinking more of Born This Way, the central message I got was "you're perfect just how you are", which can be translated into "so why try harder?".

That one I actually approve of...  I read it as, "you may not look like Angelina Jolie, but that's just fine."  Accept yourself...  Sure, do what you can with what you've got... but, don't beat yourself up over being different.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2011, 02:42:46 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 06, 2011, 02:18:01 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on May 06, 2011, 02:15:26 PM
The current songs of Lady GaGa... Katy Perry... et al... are NOT helping in this matter.

"It Gets Better" doesn't mean people will get nicer.  It means your skin will toughen up.

I was thinking more of Born This Way, the central message I got was "you're perfect just how you are", which can be translated into "so why try harder?".

I'm not being snarky, I'm curious as to what people think...

So, If we take that, do you think people are born predisposed to think the world owes them something?  So it wouldn't matter how they were raised, they would turn out that way anyway?

Eater of Clowns

Well I for one think that the problem with young people today is the rock music and the video games
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

Yeah, they snatched her up a couple years ago after her divorce. Got her when she was down, naturally.

"Look! A rich depressed celebrity! CACHING!"
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 06, 2011, 02:44:45 PM
There's an awful lot of "special snowflake" songs that have come out lately. Pink is also guilty. She's also a Scientologist now, which automatically makes her opinion on anything invalid.

:x  Noooooooooooo!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 06, 2011, 02:48:00 PM
Well I for one think that the problem with young people today is the rock music and the video games

Rock music is fine.  (Sure, some of it sucks, some of it awesome, average it out to "fine.")  Video games are a lovely way to waste a couple of hours.  (Me, I haven't played in ages... mostly because my laptop shat the bed and I'm working from a netbook that lags out playing Minesweeper, but, hey...)

The problem is the ATTITUDE.  When music, or video games, or some other form of entertainment becomes the be-all and end-all of your existence, then you've got a problem.  I've been guilty of it...  Hell, I do it now, to some extent, with SCA stuff, seems most of my free time goes to it...  But, I make an effort to do other stuff, too, when time allows.

Balance.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

AFK

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 06, 2011, 02:44:45 PM
There's an awful lot of "special snowflake" songs that have come out lately. Pink is also guilty. She's also a Scientologist now, which automatically makes her opinion on anything invalid.

Yeah, Selena Gomez has one too which is all over the Disney Channel and Radio Disney. It's beyond fucking ridiculous.  The line that cheeses me off the most is when she's talking about the "price of beauty".  As in, the "price of beauty" for the girls who are pretty on the inside.  That people are fucking with you because of how gorgeous your personality is.  Yeah, that means alot coming from the pretty Disney starlet.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Hoops, the message I got from "Born This Way" is more, "Stop fucking with me, asshole."

Then again, I'm always willing to cut GaGa some slack.

Also, P!nk, say it ain't so....

Succulent Plant

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM
I was just thinking about the little giggle I had at seeing Von Melee and Mayhem pushing a shopping cart down the road on Tuesday, and it occurred to me that almost every 20-something I know IRL is just treading water, at best.

They never finish a Goddamn thing, they don't work unless they absolutely have to, and then the height of their ambition is a Goddamn call center, and they spend almost all of their waking hours playing mindless video games...Not even GOOD ones, but OCD shit like Wii Bowling (how pathetic is THAT), golf (a simulation of a game that's almost a sport), and puzzle-style games that consist entirely of brightly colored blocks and lots of annoying sounds.

Now, I know the economy is tough out there, I understand that jobs are thin on the ground, but...FUCK, most of these people aren't even trying.  Please note that this is anecdotal, of course, and based entirely on Tucson and Hamilton, Ontario...But still, WTF? 

Go forward half a generation, and you've got people who DO things.  LMNO, for example, works a full time job, has a steady home life, and makes music on the side.  Nigel runs her own business...Times ARE tough, and she's apparently having a hell of a time, but she's hanging on. 

By contrast, my cousin's 22 year old son is "taking a year off of college" - translation:  He flunked out - and is living at his dad's house.  No job, no ambition, nothing but Goddamn video games.

The only reason I give a shit is that these will be the "prime producers" when I'm retired, which means I'll starve to death in the cold along with them.

And there's always a fucking excuse.  With Mayhem, it was "mental illness" (translation:  She is a drone, and is too fucking lazy to shift her fat ass).  With Marcus, it was just out-and-out laziness.  Fucker has the mind of a 4 year old.  Many of the rest cite the economy, to which I respond by pointing at Nigel.  The majority, horrible as it seems, think this is how life is meant to be.

Christallfuckingmighty.  7 billion humans on the planet, and all anyone knows how to do is have more humans and sit on the fucking couch.

Words cannot express how much I hate you all.

Or Kill Me

[RANT]
I deal with these fucks all the time.  I work for a software company, and keep getting IT majors who went to school for software development because they wanted to design video games, did the bare minimum to get by in college and graduated after Mommy and Daddy supported them while they spent 8 years frat partying their way to a 4 year degree, and then they realize that video game design jobs aren't actually all that plentiful or easy to get when you have a 2.0 GPA.  So they apply for my company, they get a shot because they do have the required degree, and they come here expecting to do this job while stoned, hungover and fucking around on W.O.W. all day. They usually quit when they realize that there are actually some standards and requirements here.

I am almost 30, and DON'T have the required degree to work here.  I ran off from home at 17 and worked a job that most people consider lame and meaningless.  I stuck with it for a few years because I didn't have the education to do anything better and didn't have the means to fuck off and be a drone.  I got an entry level position with the software company that makes the software used in that lame job I worked at all those years, and my experience allowed me to work myself up to a point where I do the job that you're supposed to have an IT degree for and I make good money doing it.  Then these frat house drones come here and whine about how much harder 'work' is than college was for them and expect me to have some fucking sympathy!

Looking around at the people my age in the same industry as me I'm often tempted to feel like I'm some fucking genius but the truth is that I'm an average intelligence twenty something with no higher education who simply knew that I had to work to survive and work very well if I wanted to survive comfortably.  Ambition and any level of work ethic are so uncommon in twenty somethings that the fact that I possess some has propelled me to a career above my qualifications and a lifestyle that no one handed to me, I went out and fucking took it.

Would I have been a drone given the opportunity? I don't fucking know, it was never an option.  And my kid damn sure won't have the option either.[/RANT]

The Good Reverend Roger

Rant tags are unnecessary here, as ranting is the default behavior.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Adios

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on May 06, 2011, 12:26:22 AM
Speaking as a freshly-minted 30-year-old . . . YEAH!!!

I can build a house (the wood part, not the electric part), hunt, butcher, make leather, plow, plant, harvest, raise critters, grow a garden . . . basically build a farm and live on it quite happily with lots of work and minimal fuss.

If I were 20 years younger and single..... :D

Payne

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 08:05:27 AM
You, Payne Our Lord, are AWESOME.

No, Pixie is. I'm only awesome enough to recognise just how special she is.

~~~Payne: Would do anything for love, but I won't do even that.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 06, 2011, 05:11:11 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on May 06, 2011, 12:26:22 AM
Speaking as a freshly-minted 30-year-old . . . YEAH!!!

I can build a house (the wood part, not the electric part), hunt, butcher, make leather, plow, plant, harvest, raise critters, grow a garden . . . basically build a farm and live on it quite happily with lots of work and minimal fuss.

If I were 20 years younger and single..... :D

Aww shucks! :D
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.