News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Antilibertarianism

Started by President Television, May 03, 2010, 02:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

I like my rights. I like rights, and I think we should all have a lot of them. For this, the current political system would call me a libertarian.
This is a problem. I've seen libertarian arguments, and I don't agree with any of them. Sure, freedom is nice, but is the shrinking of government really the answer? It seems that the current libertarian school of thought is based on a false dichotomy: the only answer to problems involving authority is to either shrink or increase government. This just doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think anybody here likes corporations any more than I do. I don' t think any of us want corporations to have any more power over us than they already do. Now, I won't say that the government as it is is doing a good job of keeping them in check, but at least there are some laws in place to hold CEOs accountable for their actions. Personally, I think it makes sense to pass a set of laws placing greater restriction on powerful corporations and what they can do. This is one example of how increased government can be applied in a positive manner.
Another reason not to decrease government in its totality is simple, and Doktor Howl brought it up recently in another thread: Services.
Roads. Running water. Electricity. A public education system(as horribly incompetent as its employees are). I could go on.

Problem: We are losing our rights.
Problem: More than one entity wants to take them away.
Problem: We like our services, though.

Let's discuss a solution in this thread. Without the anti-government libertarian crap, if you please. The problem is not that the system exists, but that its design is flawed and the employees are corrupt and incompetent.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Idem

It sounds like you are a liberal, if we are wanting to use labels.  I think libertarianism is liberalism, with the added caveat that the state should be minimized or abolished to support "free will," and other changes.  

As far as the solution, I don't know.

Requia ☣

There is no solution.  Stop worrying about it and go have some fun.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Idem on May 03, 2010, 03:22:50 PM
I think libertarianism is liberalism,

Franklin, Madison, and Jefferson disagree.  But what did they know?
Molon Lube

Requia ☣

No really Roger, libertarians are so inherently right that good ideas that don't fit their model get renamed as something else but with libertarian in the title (no shit, I'm a 'small l libertarian' according to them.  I have no clue what that means though).

Edit: I need more caffeine  :oops:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 03, 2010, 06:25:59 PM
No really Rodger, libertarians are so inherently right that good ideas that don't fit their model get renamed as something else but with libertarian in the title (no shit, I'm a 'small l libertarian' according to them.  I have no clue what that means though).

:lol:

Also, there's no room for a d in my name.

Dok,
Small Roger
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on May 03, 2010, 02:01:47 PM

Let's discuss a solution in this thread. Without the anti-government libertarian crap, if you please. The problem is not that the system exists, but that its design is flawed and the employees are corrupt and incompetent.

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No really Roger, libertarians are so inherently right that good ideas that don't fit their model get renamed as something else but with libertarian in the title (no shit, I'm a 'small l libertarian' according to them.  I have no clue what that means though).

I've been told that too. And then I'm like FUCK YOU, I'M A REPUBLICAN.

They really don't have a comeback for that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 03, 2010, 07:01:51 PM

I've been told that too. And then I'm like FUCK YOU, I'M A REPUBLICAN.

They really don't have a comeback for that.

I've discoreved that as long as I accept the small l label i can trash talk Ayn Rand and get away with it, so I'm running with it for now.

Elder Iptuous

it is my understanding that the little l/big L thing is just in reference to the theory v. the Party.
is there something more to it than that?

Doktor Howl

And now this thread is about libertarianism.   Again.  :lulz:
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

there was no way around it with this one.
pink elephant, and all, y'know....

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on May 03, 2010, 07:57:43 PM
there was no way around it with this one.
pink elephant, and all, y'know....

ook.
Molon Lube

Vene

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 03, 2010, 05:47:41 PM
Quote from: Idem on May 03, 2010, 03:22:50 PM
I think libertarianism is liberalism,

Franklin, Madison, and Jefferson disagree.  But what did they know?
Jefferson was anti-American anyway. Just ask Texas. I mean, look at the shit he said.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny"

"Every generation needs a new revolution."

We can't listen to radicals like that.