News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Attn:RHWN - Megadeth WTF?

Started by Mangrove, April 08, 2010, 09:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Moreover, Mustaine stated that Christianity helped him to get back in the saddle - from baptised Lutheran, through being Witness of Jehova, through reading satanic bible and practising black magic, Dave returned to Christianity and became new-born Christian [10].

For the first time in a zillion years, I browsed through guitar magazines at the bookstore. A 'reader's letter' suggested that Dave Mustaine was a born againer. I found this hard to believe, however Wiki says it's true.

WTF?

Born again heavy metal? Does this mean we're due a Stryper revival?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

AFK

Yep.  I think he said he came back to God right around the same time he injured his arm or hand or hair or whatever.  I'm more inclined to believe it happened sometime after the Rust In Peace recording sessions and tour because that's when Megadeth started to blow chunks.  It must have turned him slightly less prickish too because he's let Ellefson back into the band.  Now if he'd only get Marty Friedman and Nick Menza back, maybe he could make some decent music again. 

I wonder if he ever plays Five Magics these days.  That song seems a little un Born-Again-y. 

Also, did you know that Tom Araya from Slayer was a member of the Catholic Church?   It's true.  Kinda weird, but apparently he has no problem reconciling his faith with Reign in Blood and South of Heaven. 

Though, I do have to say there are actually a couple of decent examples of Christian Metal bands.  Galactic Cowboys were one.  Kings X, though less overt with their Christianity, are another.  Well, I guess that's about it actually. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mangrove

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 09, 2010, 02:21:03 AM
Yep.  I think he said he came back to God right around the same time he injured his arm or hand or hair or whatever.  I'm more inclined to believe it happened sometime after the Rust In Peace recording sessions and tour because that's when Megadeth started to blow chunks.  It must have turned him slightly less prickish too because he's let Ellefson back into the band.  Now if he'd only get Marty Friedman and Nick Menza back, maybe he could make some decent music again. 

I wonder if he ever plays Five Magics these days.  That song seems a little un Born-Again-y. 

Also, did you know that Tom Araya from Slayer was a member of the Catholic Church?   It's true.  Kinda weird, but apparently he has no problem reconciling his faith with Reign in Blood and South of Heaven. 

Though, I do have to say there are actually a couple of decent examples of Christian Metal bands.  Galactic Cowboys were one.  Kings X, though less overt with their Christianity, are another.  Well, I guess that's about it actually. 

I had heard a bit about the Slayer/Catholic thing before. If you check out the Wiki page on Megadeth, there's a quote from Mustaine about blaming Friedman for making the band too 'pop'. There was me thinking 'ok, so they finally got someone in the band who can play the guitar...' but what do I know?  :lol:

East Coast Hustle

Neither Reign in Blood nor South of Heaven is overtly anti-catholic. the songs are allegory, so I'm not sure what he would need to reconcile.

Galactic Cowboys put out one brilliant album, and it had barely a word to say about god. The other albums are mediocre, and still don't really talk much about god. The only really good band I can think of that is overtly christian is Six Feet Deep (not to be confused with Six Feet Under).

Notice Megadeth did not make that list, as they haven't made a good album since Rust In Peace, which is starting to outweigh the fact that Rust In Peace is probably the single best metal album ever released.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

There are much better christian bands out there, like
phlebotomized
and Vomitorial Corpulence

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on April 09, 2010, 09:47:04 AM
Neither Reign in Blood nor South of Heaven is overtly anti-catholic. the songs are allegory, so I'm not sure what he would need to reconcile.

OK, aside from "Behind the Crooked Cross".

and "Jesus Saves".

OTOH, his Catholicism comes out in "Silent Scream", which is an anti-abortion song.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on April 09, 2010, 10:59:21 AM

OK, aside from "Behind the Crooked Cross".

and "Jesus Saves".

OTOH, his Catholicism comes out in "Silent Scream", which is an anti-abortion song.

Jesus Wept is my favorite Suffocation song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFbpOAx_XE

AFK

From the wiki page on Slayer it quotes him as saying he is very comfortable in his faith that song lyrics that might run counter are no problem for him.  He goes on to pretty much say it's asinine that anyone of faith would feel bothered or threatened by something as trite as a song, book, movie, etc.  So he seems to have a pretty healthy attitude and at the end of the day, he says if it's a good song it's a good song. 

QuoteGalactic Cowboys put out one brilliant album, and it had barely a word to say about god. The other albums are mediocre, and still don't really talk much about god. The only really good band I can think of that is overtly christian is Six Feet Deep (not to be confused with Six Feet Under).

I'd say the first two GC albums are good.  And actually there is at least one overt reference to god on "Speak to Me" from the debut album.  Also, "If I Were A Killer" is definitely an anti-abortion song.  But certainly they don't wear it on their sleeve like Stryper. 

QuoteNotice Megadeth did not make that list, as they haven't made a good album since Rust In Peace, which is starting to outweigh the fact that Rust In Peace is probably the single best metal album ever released.

The new album, what I've heard of it, seems to be somewhat of a return to form, but it just doesn't have the fire that RIP had.  And I would agree that RIP IS the best metal album ever released.  In fact it just won the March-Madness styled tournament they had over at www.bnrmetal.com just barely beating out Master of Puppets.  I imagine, though a rather small victory, that makes Mustaine happy. 

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on April 09, 2010, 04:42:08 AM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 09, 2010, 02:21:03 AM

I had heard a bit about the Slayer/Catholic thing before. If you check out the Wiki page on Megadeth, there's a quote from Mustaine about blaming Friedman for making the band too 'pop'. There was me thinking 'ok, so they finally got someone in the band who can play the guitar...' but what do I know?  :lol:

What really made RIP-era Megadeth work, in my opinion, was having both Friedman and Mustaine doing leads.  They clearly had different styles with Mustaine being more stacatto and Friedman's being a bit more fluid.  But when they came together on tunes like Holy Wars and Hangar 18 it was (pardon the cliche) magic.  Also, Menza was a monster behind the kit. 

East Coast Hustle

Agreed. Hangar 18 might be my single favorite piece of guitarwork ever. Skolnick is probably my favorite metal guitarist, but Mustaine and Friedman together was a thing of beauty.

I didn't think the first GC album was all that good, but "Space In Your Face" has been one of my favorite albums since I was 16. Dane Sonnier was wicked underrated as a guitar player.

Mangrove

In other news, Stryper are currently working on a covers album.

East Coast Hustle

I listened to the new Megadeth album today.

It's not very good for the most part, though there are a couple of tracks that sort of remind me of "Peace Sells" crossed with the better stuff on "Cryptic Writings". The best song on the album though, IMO, is the instrumental intro track and that's never a good sign. Also, knowing that Mustaine is born-again makes the anti-governmental paranoia that's always been present in his lyrics come off sounding like Teabagger metal. Whether intentional or not, the effect is detrimental to my enjoyment of the album.

Mangrove

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on April 11, 2010, 06:18:20 AM
I listened to the new Megadeth album today.

It's not very good for the most part, though there are a couple of tracks that sort of remind me of "Peace Sells" crossed with the better stuff on "Cryptic Writings". The best song on the album though, IMO, is the instrumental intro track and that's never a good sign. Also, knowing that Mustaine is born-again makes the anti-governmental paranoia that's always been present in his lyrics come off sounding like Teabagger metal. Whether intentional or not, the effect is detrimental to my enjoyment of the album.

I know this feeling. Mrs Mang' & I experienced it today when we stopped by our local arts center and noticed a car that was plastered with stickers including:

Don't tread on me
Buck Ofama (with a hammer & sickle logo)
Something badly worded...think it was about gun control
Something about anyone with an Obama sticker being stupid and...piece de resistance!!
SARAH PALAIN 2012

Needless to say, were busting to know who the car belonged to. A Fat blonde white woman.

In other news: I saw Megadeth with Friedman in 1992 when they toured with the album that followed on from RIP (Countdown to extinction??). It was a pretty cool gig, Friedman was particularly cool. In fact, he was the chief reason why I went.

Freeky

:lulz: at the bumper sticker lady.

East Coast Hustle

If I could figure out how to list my favorite bands in order, no matter what order they were in I'm 100% certain that Megadeth would be the highest-ranked band I've never seen live. And now there would be no reason to bother.

:sadbanana: