Attn Nasturtums, Remington, and other younger members:

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 17, 2009, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themenniss

long rants have never been a thing of mine so here i go:
fuck you. I'm gona have fun whether you like it or not.
fuck legality, that's not a deterrent, if I'm gona do something I'm gona do something.
fuck health and safety, they're just 'guidelines'.
fuck STD's, if you're dumb enough to get them go reward yourself by doing a reverse rapid cliff climb.
fuck you again because in the end i'm gona die just like you so what if you get there first?
I'M HAPPY AND I'LL REMAIN HAPPY. therefore i don't give a shit about you.
was that the response you wanted?
on a less FUCK YOU note:
i agree with Remington. the only people that're gonna change this fucking mess is us because let's face it. you can't be fucked as you've 'had your fun'. you've had your fun? what the FUCK? why do you have to STOP? why not continue having fun.
screw the pain they've got some nice pills throw some in your face go fall down the beach with a temp barbecue some barely in date saussages and as much alcohol as you can carry and a sleeping bag. A PERFECT NIGHT OUT.
and as for religious shit 'Stop judging do something, shut the fuck up do something.' - Jeff Rosenstock.
whew. i think I'm done. oh wait, one last thing.
I'm gona fix it. or get people to carry on after i die, old, tired, achy, bleeding internally in a hospital bed with my friends and family around all smiling and thinking 'this mess wanted to make a difference, why not join in? he looked like he had fun.
SORT YOUR LIFE!
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

Remington

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:40:17 PM
Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 07:38:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:30:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 07:25:36 PM

Plus, religion is at an all-time low.

Just wait.  As things grow more complex, religion will reappear.  It always does...we thought we had rid the world of evangelism in the late 80s, but they came back stronger than ever in 2000.

Can you blame them? Interpreting reality objectively is fucking hard work!

Religion's like a clingy mother:
-She packs your lunch for you, with little pre-cooked ideologies all set up in a row for your consumption. Don't try packing your own lunch, Mama's here for you.
-She's always inquiring about the friends you make... God forbid you start hanging out with the wrong kind of people!
-When you give the whole "free-thinking" thing a try and find it to hard, she's always glad to take you back. You did your best, deary, it just wasn't enough. Here, have a cookie.
-There's a musty smell coming from the closet in her bedroom. When you ask her about it, she always changes the subject.
-She never, ever goes away.

And, to steal someone else's line (Who?  I can't remember), "Mother loves you.  Mother loves you to death."

2,000,000 years hiding in caves from angry spirits.
500 years of rational thought.

Guess which one wins?
Perhaps. The current trend is moving away from traditional religions, though. Godlessness is up 6.8% in the last decade.
We can only hope that the trend continues. Keep in mind that this is in the US: I've heard the trend is more drastic in Europe and Asia.

Still clinging onto that optimism...
Is it plugged in?

LMNO

"Mother loves you.  Mother loves you to death."

I'm partial to believe that line was from Dead Alive.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 08:00:31 PM

Actually, I wanna say it was in one of those threads Roger started and it turned into the whole board posting prose about the Spiders. It was from whoever wrote from the Spider's point of view.

Remington

Quote from: themenniss on December 17, 2009, 07:45:11 PM
long rants have never been a thing of mine so here i go:
fuck you. I'm gona have fun whether you like it or not.
fuck legality, that's not a deterrent, if I'm gona do something I'm gona do something.
fuck health and safety, they're just 'guidelines'.
fuck STD's, if you're dumb enough to get them go reward yourself by doing a reverse rapid cliff climb.
fuck you again because in the end i'm gona die just like you so what if you get there first?
I'M HAPPY AND I'LL REMAIN HAPPY. therefore i don't give a shit about you.
was that the response you wanted?
on a less FUCK YOU note:
i agree with Remington. the only people that're gonna change this fucking mess is us because let's face it. you can't be fucked as you've 'had your fun'. you've had your fun? what the FUCK? why do you have to STOP? why not continue having fun.
screw the pain they've got some nice pills throw some in your face go fall down the beach with a temp barbecue some barely in date saussages and as much alcohol as you can carry and a sleeping bag. A PERFECT NIGHT OUT.
and as for religious shit 'Stop judging do something, shut the fuck up do something.' - Jeff Rosenstock.
whew. i think I'm done. oh wait, one last thing.
I'm gona fix it. or get people to carry on after i die, old, tired, achy, bleeding internally in a hospital bed with my friends and family around all smiling and thinking 'this mess wanted to make a difference, why not join in? he looked like he had fun.
SORT YOUR LIFE!
TBQFH, that's the attitude that got us where we are today.

Yes, you want to have FUN. Yes, you want to GO DO THINGS and fuck strange women and just live it up in general. But -and here's the thing- can you please do it in a way that won't fuck over every generation after you? I'm sure it looks awesome when an oil well ignites and spews fire like an ungodly blowtorch that continues for days. In fact, I'm sure it's the most fucking awesome thing you're ever done, that it's the most FUN you've ever had. That doesn't change the fact that the oil in that well probably could've financed and supported several generations, if used wisely.

Because you know what? Raping the earth is FUN! The stock market makes a most delightful sound when it comes crashing down under the weight of your hubris and subprime mortgages! Shooting buffalo and harpooning dolphins for the mere sport of it is a barrel of laughs! And you know what else? Once you've used up all the oil, torched the ozone layer back down to hydrogen, and killed all the endangered species... you don't have to deal with the consequences. By that time you're on your deathbed, looking up at those who are going to deal with your retarded mess: your children.

In other words, you're a selfish asshole. Remember to not wear any safety gear while doing your crazy stunts: we don't want (or need) you.
Is it plugged in?

LMNO

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 17, 2009, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 08:00:31 PM

Actually, I wanna say it was in one of those threads Roger started and it turned into the whole board posting prose about the Spiders. It was from whoever wrote from the Spider's point of view.

Oddly enough, I wrote that one.  I don't recall using that line, though.  I'll go check.

Eater of Clowns

You know what the bitch of it all is, kids?  You know how it ends.  Rail away with your idealistic tirades against inevitability but your life draws you inexorably to where you don't want to be.  Not me, you'll think, you'll yell and you'll cry, not me and not the same for my children.  This time it's different.  And maybe you won't make the same mistakes as the last generation and maybe you'll even think you did a pretty good job.

Until your own children look around and in the clarity of their youthful vision tear apart the world view that insidiously began to inhabit your mind as you busied yourself about important tasks.  They'll wail why and they'll point their still uncalloused fingers in your quivering snout, eyes accusatory and hackles standing up.  And you don't know what hackles are now but you'll learn well and but good what they are when the time comes.  Your eyes will be watery and somehow your stance diminished and you'll proclaim you did the best you could but they know better, don't they, just like you did.

The moment will subside and your stature regained and your dignity gathered back about you.  They'll turn their backs to you and walk hunched over straining, Atlas to themselves but fools to you, and you'll smile.  Because you know how it ends.  You'll encourage them and wish them the best but you know how it ends.  And who knows, maybe by the time they get to that end either you or they will have given you a few more years to watch them reach that same conclusion.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

themenniss

Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 08:07:45 PM
In other words, you're a selfish asshole. Remember to not wear any safety gear while doing your crazy stunts: we don't want (or need) you.
who said i ever wore safety gear in the first place. hell one day i might get lucky and burn to death. until then...
i'm gonna get on with my life. pissing off one person at a time.
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

Nast

Looking back, I realize I've never had fun. No, not the everyday sort of fun that's common enough; the kind of fun that makes your stomach sick with excitement and your head all giddy. And that's even before the party even starts.

I was too busy being responsible to have any of that. I was always the good kid, and fuck it if that got me anywhere. It was a rainy day at school, and the fields were flooded. Everyone in my class was overcome by a mass hysteria, it seemed, and rushed out of the room to slide around in the soggy mix of mud grass and water. Everyone but me. I watched from behind the windowpane, and I really did want to go out and join them. But at the same time I thought smugly to myself how much trouble they'd be in. The WASPy soccer moms waiting in the car line were already aghast in horror as they saw their little darlings soaked and wild eyed. I might as well had gone out their too and enjoyed myself, because in the end we were all punished.

I grew up and people continued to do I dumb and exciting things without me. I was warned against them, by my parents and teachers and school programs, and told that I would be better off being boring. That it would be better off that my world be sterilized and padded, with the sharp corners worn down so I wouldn't poke my eye out, so that I wouldn't end up like them. But I'm now starting to wish that I had gone a little crazy, that I had taken more chances and partaken in the wacky fun.

Oh, well, I'm off to go learn to ride a bike. I wonder why I haven't ever learned sooner. Probably because I was too busy watching TV.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 07:52:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 07:38:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 07:30:25 PM
Quote from: Sir Remington III on December 17, 2009, 07:25:36 PM

Plus, religion is at an all-time low.

Just wait.  As things grow more complex, religion will reappear.  It always does...we thought we had rid the world of evangelism in the late 80s, but they came back stronger than ever in 2000.

Can you blame them? Interpreting reality objectively is fucking hard work!

Religion's like a clingy mother:
-She packs your lunch for you, with little pre-cooked ideologies all set up in a row for your consumption. Don't try packing your own lunch, Mama's here for you.
-She's always inquiring about the friends you make... God forbid you start hanging out with the wrong kind of people!
-When you give the whole "free-thinking" thing a try and find it to hard, she's always glad to take you back. You did your best, deary, it just wasn't enough. Here, have a cookie.
-There's a musty smell coming from the closet in her bedroom. When you ask her about it, she always changes the subject.
-She never, ever goes away.

And, to steal someone else's line (Who?  I can't remember), "Mother loves you.  Mother loves you to death."

2,000,000 years hiding in caves from angry spirits.
500 years of rational thought.

Guess which one wins?
Perhaps. The current trend is moving away from traditional religions, though. Godlessness is up 6.8% in the last decade.
We can only hope that the trend continues. Keep in mind that this is in the US: I've heard the trend is more drastic in Europe and Asia.

Still clinging onto that optimism...

Godlessness is up sure, but most of the new godless are recruited from the ranks of the moderate religious.  The badwrongcrazy types who think the earth is the center of the universe and its ok to kill people for being gay are up in numbers too.

Frankly I don't mind the moderates, they leave me be except for the occasional missionary, the crazies scare the shit out of me though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

I hate old people, but I also hate the middle aged, the young adults, and kids too.

Looking at age, I can't stand any single demographic of humanity.  That has to mean something.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 26, 2011, 04:43:23 AM
I hate old people, but I also hate the middle aged, the young adults, and kids too.

Looking at age, I can't stand any single demographic of humanity.  That has to mean something.

You're right it does.

Unfortunately I'm in one of the groups you hate so I'm not going to tell you that horrible truth!

You'll just have to figure it out on your own!

NEENER NEENER :lulz:

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Remington on December 17, 2009, 07:25:36 PM
I'd like to say that this generation will do better, that we'll fix things, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that's what you guys told yourself when you were young. The cycle will go on, I don't doubt that.

Hope for the future, though? Yes, I have some. Each new generation is a fresh chance, to at least fix some of the problems. I know the chances are against us, that we're likely going to lapse into the same selfishness that the older generation did... but I can't help but feel that the chances get better every time. Despite how the media likes to spin it, the world is improving. We've got less wars, an exponentially increasing technological curve, and an increasingly aware population. A half-aware sheep is still a sheep, but it's progress.

That's the reason why freedom of the Internet is so fucking important: it's a medium that instinctively rebels against control and regulation. Oh, you people try, but we all know how that ends up. Loopholes are found, exploited, and spread in a matter of hours. With the internet, people have tasted actual freedom, and it's a taste they cannot forget.

Plus, religion is at an all-time low. The Information Age requires critical thought... no, it demands it. Everyday we're inundated with a tidal wave of information, opinions, and data: we're in a position where we are forced to start determining what's crap and what's not. Religion (especially fundamentalist religion) works best in a cloistered environment, where the impressionable children can be kept away from all that nasty reality that contradicts the Faith. Today's world is anything but. When you come into contact with people who hold different beliefs than you (internet comes into play here too), you end up examining your own. Less religion and ideological seclusion means less dogma, which is good for everyone.

The world's changing, Roger, and it's changing for the better. We're just waiting until all you fuckers die off... and I mean that in the best possible way.

Hopeless optimist,
-Remington

I dunno, racism seems to be resurging, and that is probably the biggest victory of the baby boomers, eliminating segregation and anti-miscegenation laws and so forth.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl