News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Unofficial What are you Reading Thread?

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 03, 2006, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Phosphatidylserine on December 12, 2012, 09:26:22 PM
Haven't read any Banks.

Lucky you! :)

I read a Bruce Sterling story collection (Visionary In Residence or something)

He has a collection called A Good Old-Fashioned Future which, I think, has some of his best writing in it.

Rucker.

Now you're talkin'!  :)
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

As of the beginning of the month I finally finished reading The 120 Days of Sodom all the way through
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm still reading The Elements and I'm almost finished with Freakonomics, which I'm fairly certain I've read before. I just started a chemistry textbook and I'm halfway through Electrified sheep.

BOOKS: YOU CAN'T EAT JUST ONE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lenin McCarthy

From the Christiania Boheme, by Hans Jæger.

Jæger was part of the Christiania Boheme, a group of infantile anarchist artists in Norway in the late 1890s, and he was very opposed to the conservative sexual morals of the time, probably because he was tired of screwing working class girls.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'm reading Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. One of the characters is based on Emperor Norton.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Dildo Argentino

Erich Fromm, Escape from Freedom. A fascinating book, especially considering it is 70 years old. The author asks all the right questions, then struggles with the answers, largely on account of the conceptual apparatus not being in place. Quotes:

"Modern European and American history is centered around the effort to gain freedom from the political, economic, and spiritual shackles that have bound men. The battles for freedom where fought by the oppressed, those who wanted new liberties, against those who had privileges to defend. While a class was fighting for its own liberation from domination, it believed itself to be fighting for human freedom as such and thus was able to appeal to an ideal, to the longing for freedom rooted in all who are oppressed. In the long and virtually continuous battle for freedom, however, classes that were fighting against oppression at one stage sided with the enemies of freedom when victory was won and new privileges were to be defended."

"Man, the more he gains freedom in the sense of emerging from the original oneness with man and nature and the more he becomes an "individual," has no choice but to unite himself with the world in the spontaneity of love and productive work or else to seek a kind of security by such ties with the world as destroy his freedom and the integrity of his individual self."
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

EK WAFFLR

Shit Magnet by Jim Goad.
I disagree with almost everything the man has to say, but he is a brilliant wordsmith.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

minuspace

I got like 3/8ths through The Filth, the comic thingie.

Juana

Still reading Ghost Wars, which is about the CIA's adventures in Afghanistan during and after the Soviet war with the Saudis and Pakistan's intelligence organizations. Also reading The Peace to End All Peace, which is about the creation of the modern Middle East.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't even know what I'm reading anymore. Mind Over Ship by Marusek, and Beyond Oz by somebody, and some other books.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: LuciferX on January 24, 2013, 10:05:30 AM
I got like 3/8ths through The Filth, the comic thingie.

The Filth is so good. It's hard to push through, though; it just sort of compounds upon itself in disgust. Like Eraserhead. But, the ending is in good Grant Morrison style.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Now I'm taking a second shot at reading Godel, Escher, Bach

Sano

Every time I read this thread I feel like I know nothing about fiction. I'm probably going to use it as a reading list. It's been a looong time since I read fiction books, sadly.

Anyway, the books I'm reading at the moment for college are Deleuze's Cinema 1 (which is kinda dull if you don't get much of the movie references, which actually sounds obvious in retrospect - his bits about Bergson are actually nice though), Foucault's The order of things (which I should have started reading, but I still haven't), bits and pieces of something by Duns Scotus, and something by Ayer which I completely forgot the name now.

Not for college, but I really should finish reading Guns, Germs and Steel soon (so I can start reading Collapse, which I already bought). I also managed to buy a nice detailed annotation of Confucius' Analects, which I should start reading soon. Will probably start reading Homo Ludens soon as well. I am rereading the first book of Euclid's Elements, just for fun. And I think that's basically it.
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sano on January 28, 2013, 01:19:53 PM
Every time I read this thread I feel like I know nothing about fiction. I'm probably going to use it as a reading list. It's been a looong time since I read fiction books, sadly.

Anyway, the books I'm reading at the moment for college are Deleuze's Cinema 1 (which is kinda dull if you don't get much of the movie references, which actually sounds obvious in retrospect - his bits about Bergson are actually nice though), Foucault's The order of things (which I should have started reading, but I still haven't), bits and pieces of something by Duns Scotus, and something by Ayer which I completely forgot the name now.

Not for college, but I really should finish reading Guns, Germs and Steel soon (so I can start reading Collapse, which I already bought). I also managed to buy a nice detailed annotation of Confucius' Analects, which I should start reading soon. Will probably start reading Homo Ludens soon as well. I am rereading the first book of Euclid's Elements, just for fun. And I think that's basically it.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,19988.0.html

It's a good one for fiction suggestions that a lot of people here agreed on.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Sano

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 28, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: Sano on January 28, 2013, 01:19:53 PM

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,19988.0.html

It's a good one for fiction suggestions that a lot of people here agreed on.

Wow, I really didn't. Thanks!
Everything comes to an end, reader. It is an old truism to which may be added that not everything that lasts, lasts for long. This latter part is not readily admitted; on the contrary the idea that an air castle lasts longer than the very air of which it is made is hard to get out of a person's head, and this is fortunate, otherwise the custom of making those almost eternal constructions might be lost.