News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Question for people involved in social and humanities: software

Started by The Johnny, June 04, 2014, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Like, have you people ever used qualitative analysis programs (NVivo, MAXQDA) that you could recommend?

I personally think NVivo is utter garbage, but MAXQDA seems very user friendly, ofc thats only from experience from using their Demos for like 5 days and im gonna be working with material of over 1000 pages, so any suggestion is welcome.

I dont have much experience using this kind of software, everything ive done "by hand" so to speak (Word, copy paste much) and with materials of 200ish pages at most.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

I've heard good things about MAXQDA and Atlas.ti

That said, I don't really use any social sciences software.  I tend to be more quantitative in my approach, which means deriving the numbers is usually easier, and then I can use Word and Excel, and maybe a calculator, to do the rest.

The Johnny

Aha! Yes ive heard of Atlas.ti but i had forgotten about it! I should get the demo and test it out.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner