News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

The Audience is Listening, part I

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 21, 2012, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

So, yeah, she was a socialite.  Nice girl, if a little shallow...Partied til the small hours, everybody loved her.  This was back in the day, you know?  Reagan years, maybe into Bush 41's presidency.  But she was so dazzled by the strobe lights and the music that she didn't realize that years had passed, and the crowd is kind of laughing behind her back at parties, because she isn't what she used to be.  Well, fuck that crowd.  They loved her when she was young, and she IS still the same person.  Nice, pleasant, wouldn't harm a fly.  Shut your hipster mouth.

Then there's That Guy.  He's almost like her, only he's not as nice.  Same amount of shallow thought, but directed inward.  Still trying to hit on the hotties, only he's balding and looks fucking ridiculous.  Hey, Shaky, take your team and check out that command vehicle, looks almost undamaged.  What the hell goes on in a middle-aged guy's head, if he's the type to constantly creep on 22 year old college students.  Ick.

They're both at the party, and the audience is listening.  The audience is all grins.  Maybe the grins are a little too large, you know almost as if they were rictuses.  Can't get the Goddamn crew door open, go get a tanker bar.  The audience is amused, yet they just sit there, unmoving.

She realizes one day that she hasn't heard an Abba song at a party in decades.  She looks around at the rest of the crowd, and realizes that there's only one other person her age at the party, and he's a nasty creeper that keeps eyeballing the kids.  What's that smell, corporal?  Then she takes the next logical step and realizes that she's partying with kids.  She grabs her jacket, makes her excuses, and goes out to the car.  She cries for 10 minutes before she can calm herself enough to drive.

That Guy tries out his best line on the redhead.  She looks at him, and - she's not a mean kid, she just can't help it - bursts out laughing.  Everyone stops and looks.  Hah, got the bastard, help me open it, and Jones, you stay ready with your rifle.  That Guy, humiliated, looks around at the rest of the audience, who just stand there in a mob, staring though him and grinning that awful grin.  He, too, flees.  He isn't crying, though, he's cursing under his breath at that bitch, that snotty bitch.

She gets off the highway at Congress, and heads for the Hotel Congress.  Walking in, she sees a crowd about her own age, with a few younger and older people there.  JESUS CHRIST, OH SHIT, AW MAN!  She sits at a table by herself, orders a drink, and collects her thoughts.  She's enjoying the band.  This isn't so bad.

That Guy goes home, but the audience is still grinning at him, with their hollow eyes staring right through him.  He sits down in his lazy boy and pulls his pistol out of the desk next to the chair.  Jenkins, for Chrissakes, don't puke on them!  He puts the pistol up to his head, and looks at the audience.

*bang*

And the audience, looking on from the back of the destroyed command vehicle, stacked around the crew door they tried in vain to open when IT happened, applauds with their carbonized hands, staring with their empty sockets, and grinning with their charred teeth.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, this flopped.   :lol:

I was pretty sure it was too clumsy in written form.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Elder Iptuous

i checked thread a few times to see if there was any comment, because i was embarrassed to admit that it flew just over my head.
i'm fuzzy on what the command vehicle represents...

President Television

No, it was good, I just don't get the metaphor.
I suspect this is mainly because I'm hung over at the moment and my brain's still pulling itself together. I suppose I'm temping for Twid in that regard.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 21, 2012, 06:47:08 PM
i checked thread a few times to see if there was any comment, because i was embarrassed to admit that it flew just over my head.
i'm fuzzy on what the command vehicle represents...

There's four different things happening.  One is the aging socialite, the other is the creeper, and the third is a fire team of infantry investigating a destroyed armored vehicle in one war or another.  The fourth, the audience, are the carbonized crew members who were in the vehicle when it got hit, and were unable to escape the interior fire in the vehicle, due to a jammed crew door.

Elder Iptuous

what's the line between the first two and the second two?

LMNO

I was going to weigh in, but it looks like this is being covered.  What I didn't get was the metaphorical connection between the stories.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 21, 2012, 07:01:20 PM
what's the line between the first two and the second two?

There isn't one.  I kinda mixed the second two in with the first two (It would probaby work better in a visual medium).  The party slowly becomes the audience as the two older people leave the scene, and the fire team sort of just run along inside the rest of the narrative.

There has to be a better way to structure it.  I'm trying to make this work for a larger idea, and I just sort of threw this together as a trial run.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 21, 2012, 07:08:14 PM
I was going to weigh in, but it looks like this is being covered.  What I didn't get was the metaphorical connection between the stories.

In this case, different kinds of fear.  Fear of getting old, fear of "losing your place" in the "scene", and fear of death/the dead.

I'm trying to see if I can develop the mechanic to make this work for a longer, different story.

Elder Iptuous

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 21, 2012, 07:11:11 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 21, 2012, 07:08:14 PM

In this case, different kinds of fear.  Fear of getting old, fear of "losing your place" in the "scene", and fear of death/the dead.

I'm trying to see if I can develop the mechanic to make this work for a longer, different story.

Could of shortened that to "they're all a form of fear of dying".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think this has promise, especially if you develop the fire team and the crew members a little more early on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 21, 2012, 08:12:08 PM
I think this has promise, especially if you develop the fire team and the crew members a little more early on.

Yeah, to do this right it needs to be a short story, not a one-pager.

Luna

It's good, it's just too many images in the same spot, I think...  The reference frame doesn't quite fit.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Nephew Twiddleton

Tempt me to what?

My period of abstaining from booze is well over.

:?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS