News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Twid's Colcannon

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 28, 2010, 11:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hawk on June 01, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
Using leftovers that may end up going on the waste sheet offsets the cost greatly. When I had my bar and grill I always planned the menu to reuse leftovers on the next meal.

Someone recently told me that leftovers are probably the best part of every meal.

I wondered about this, but realized that, in a way, he is right.

I have a theory about this. Maybe ECH can say if it makes sense.

I find that the best sorts of recipes are either those that are made of just a few elementary ingredients, with some spices and flavourings subtly picked to enhance and bring out the best in these main ingredients. The other kind are meals that have a lot of different ingredients (like at least three different vegetables, not counting onions).

Good example is pasta sauce:
- An elementary one is, for instance, tomato+chopped black olive+anchovy+garlic, optimized with some black pepper and basil or oregano.
- When you add more things, feature creep* sets in. Some capers are probably a good idea, chopped onions go with almost everything, maybe a small hot pepper ... but once you add cubed zuccini or bell pepper you cross a line and arrive in a no-man's land of "really pretty damn good pasta sauce (because it will be), but somewhat arbitrary / random".
- You can't take things out of a sauce, so to fix this, your only option is to add more. Better hope you have more. You will need a small carrot chopped in tiny cubes. A dash of red wine. And at least one more different vegetable (or meat? if you hadn't used anchovy, spicy sausage chunks would have been good. bacon cubes are probably always good), maybe some spinach (fresh chopped or a couple of frozen cubes), not stuff like broccoli or sprouts, they can really fuck up the flavour combo [may have to do with sulfur compounds?]. Colours may be important, like a different colour bell pepper.

*this is actually a Software Engineering / management term, but it describes the scenario well.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 02, 2010, 12:40:46 AM
Quote from: Hawk on June 02, 2010, 12:22:20 AM
Quote from: Richter on June 01, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
Revelation:  I have leftover bangers from cookout yesterday.  I msut make this mash now.

whazzabanger?

Sausages, basically. Irish sausages and bacon are a little different than their American counterparts.

ZOMG RASHER.

We import bangers and rasher from England and Ireland at my pub. Sooo...Goood....
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

Quote from: Triple Zero on June 02, 2010, 09:53:46 AM
Quote from: Hawk on June 01, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
Using leftovers that may end up going on the waste sheet offsets the cost greatly. When I had my bar and grill I always planned the menu to reuse leftovers on the next meal.

Someone recently told me that leftovers are probably the best part of every meal.

I wondered about this, but realized that, in a way, he is right.

I have a theory about this. Maybe ECH can say if it makes sense.

I find that the best sorts of recipes are either those that are made of just a few elementary ingredients, with some spices and flavourings subtly picked to enhance and bring out the best in these main ingredients. The other kind are meals that have a lot of different ingredients (like at least three different vegetables, not counting onions).

Good example is pasta sauce:
- An elementary one is, for instance, tomato+chopped black olive+anchovy+garlic, optimized with some black pepper and basil or oregano.
- When you add more things, feature creep* sets in. Some capers are probably a good idea, chopped onions go with almost everything, maybe a small hot pepper ... but once you add cubed zuccini or bell pepper you cross a line and arrive in a no-man's land of "really pretty damn good pasta sauce (because it will be), but somewhat arbitrary / random".
- You can't take things out of a sauce, so to fix this, your only option is to add more. Better hope you have more. You will need a small carrot chopped in tiny cubes. A dash of red wine. And at least one more different vegetable (or meat? if you hadn't used anchovy, spicy sausage chunks would have been good. bacon cubes are probably always good), maybe some spinach (fresh chopped or a couple of frozen cubes), not stuff like broccoli or sprouts, they can really fuck up the flavour combo [may have to do with sulfur compounds?]. Colours may be important, like a different colour bell pepper.

*this is actually a Software Engineering / management term, but it describes the scenario well.

Some things don't even need to be touched other than simply reheated. For instance, chili is always best on the 3rd day.

Richter

I just used the leftovers for lunch, along with a slab of Herb's Spicy chicken.  The fridge tiem really let the garlic and cheese flavor set in.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Adios

One of my favorite days was the day after Prime Rib day. I would make french dip using the drippings to make the aus jus.

Richter

Fuckyeah.

I downed a cup of aus jus one hungry day. (Blood for the Blood God.)  Suu and Ge. Stuart thought this was too rich, and would make me puke. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 02, 2010, 12:50:49 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 02, 2010, 12:40:46 AM
Quote from: Hawk on June 02, 2010, 12:22:20 AM
Quote from: Richter on June 01, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
Revelation:  I have leftover bangers from cookout yesterday.  I msut make this mash now.

whazzabanger?

Sausages, basically. Irish sausages and bacon are a little different than their American counterparts.

ZOMG RASHER.

We import bangers and rasher from England and Ireland at my pub. Sooo...Goood....

I'm a big fan of the Irish breakfast. Fucking love black pudding.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

I find black pudding disgusting, mostly because well, I know what's in it. FIRST MISTAKE. That and my mom made that and blood pudding a lot.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 03, 2010, 01:18:12 AM
I find black pudding disgusting, mostly because well, I know what's in it. FIRST MISTAKE. That and my mom made that and blood pudding a lot.

You get past it. It's actually very tasty. I don't eat it often but I always look forward to it, despite what it is.

Nephew Twiddleton

Bump. Literally been over a year.

Also, crossposting to Spagbook for relevance.

Telarus

Appreciate the bump. Epic thread is epic.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on July 01, 2011, 08:27:20 AM
Appreciate the bump. Epic thread is epic.

I love motherfucking pratai and I'm not going to pollute that with shitty cabbage. Next best thing. Spinach is the shit.  :D

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I googled 'black pudding'.  :horrormirth:
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Payne

NOTHING wrong with Black Pudding.

NOTHING!

LMNO

It truly is Blood for the Blood God.