News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I know when I was House Master, in Switzerland, my assistants were not informed of any specific diagnosis of the students, beyond allergies.

However, I made sure that they were to inform me ASAP if certain students displayed certain symptoms.  None of my assistant HPs were idiots, so that was as good as telling them, in some cases, but ensured their care was being prioritised.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 02, 2016, 05:19:28 PM
Possibly.  The colleges will no doubt claim since all our students are of adult age (they stick them in here as soon as they turn 18.  As in, on their birthday) and that they (most likely) advertise the building as independent accommodation, that the students in question are not strictly speaking under our direct care, and thus it would be a violation of their privacy to inform us of their medical conditions.  This is ridiculous on a number of levels, not least that I'm the designated first aider on my shift and thus I should know simply for the purposes of emergency treatment about ongoing medical conditions.

The colleges may also claim they were not informed by the student or their parents.  This is occasionally the case, with certain cultures and individuals, but if they are being treated in the UK, the chance that the college doesn't know about it (because of the impact it would have on their studies) is perishingly low.

Furthermore, it's a matter of record, from our line manager, that we are "House Parents" to all students in this building, and thus have a duty of care.

I know for certain that we had a student somewhere on the autistic spectrum, which the college was aware of, but they did not inform us.  So I wouldn't be surprised if they neglected to inform us of many, many other things we should know.

Oh, christ. Wow. Your employer sounds like a... remarkable... establishment. To say the least.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Oh yes, well generally they are.

However, strictly speaking, these aren't the people who pay my bills.  At least, not directly.  In essence, you have the company which hired me.  They run one college, for students of actual school age.  They pay my bills, have the contract for the building, provide the cleaning staff and management etc.

But then you have their parent company, the larger, educational group.  They own two other colleges, for university age students.  It's those two colleges which failed to relay the information on, to the best of my knowledge (it's also possible they told our management, since we are not trusted to have any contact with those colleges, and our management failed to pass it on.  More likely it's just the colleges themselves, but it's something I cannot rule out).

My employer...I can access certain amounts of information via our internal network.  A good 90% of the time I don't have permission to access student medical information, but I see the nurse often enough that if something comes up, we can share information.  With the others, though....nothing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Installed an ass sprayer on the toilet today, and how my cooter's so clean you could serve hors d'ouvres on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Meunster

Welp 4chan colony 404'd from bump limit.

Time to make a new thread. Any helpful links you guys would reccomend?
Poe's law ;)

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Meunster on January 05, 2016, 03:44:23 AM
Welp 4chan colony 404'd from bump limit.

Time to make a new thread. Any helpful links you guys would reccomend?

Here's a pretty complete (I think?) collection of Discordian works: http://nmrk2359.wix.com/dolmmm#!links_to_books/c23m4

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

I've been shitty about uploading videos.  So two Skyrim videos tonight, nearly 2 hours worth, are on their way.  More will be recorded, though I might save some to put up later, since I'm at work the next 3 nights...

Edit: Part 1 up.  Watch me get gloriously felled in one swoop by a Stormcloak noob, and be over-encumbered all the time.

Edit again: Part 2, also.

Cain

Back to work tonight.

Brace yourself for a shitstorm of stupidity (them) and profanity (me).

LMNO

Cain

May take some time, as I'm the only person on shift tonight.  And tomorrow night.  Basically the whole month, I'm working on my own, at night.

LMNO

Cain

Well, 50% of the department did quit last month.

But, of course, they did nothing in the meantime to try and fill the massive holes in the shift rota.  In fact, the senior manager was already on holiday by that point, and my supervisor went on leave shortly after, and won't be back until Friday (how convenient).  It's amazing, how management are always on holiday at the start and the end of term. 

Cainad (dec.)

Do they hire management staff from Roger's old job or something?

Cain

Hah, that would imply they hire people here.  They just shift their duties onto another, already existing member of staff.

Incidentally, 40 minutes in: arrival that we have no paperwork for.  Her paperwork is all correct, but I wasn't given arrival details or a room for her to go in.

Cain

No paperwork or access card for student who has been here all day.  Had to induct her myself while leaving the reception unattended.