News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

I did this for you

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, September 23, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 01:18:22 AM
If someone gives someone a gift that they did not ask for and do not want, was the gift really for the recipient, or was it really for the giver?

If the giver genuinely thought that the recipient would actually like it and want it, then I'd say it's both for the giver to feel pleased that the recipient now has this thing they will enjoy just as much as it is for the recipient to enjoy. And when it turns out it is ill-received, then I think both parties would feel embarrassed.

If the giver thought the recipient should like it but knows they won't actually like it and gives it anyway, then it's an exercise in condescension, and hence purely for the giver. It's huffing one's one farts via gift giving.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Faust

Depends on the gift, and the person.

If its just a general token and the person had already expressed they don't want it, then the gift is for the giver.

If it's grannies insulin because she cant afford it, then despite not wanting it the gift is for the receiver.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 24, 2014, 12:18:30 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 08:46:18 PM
Of course, we've been friends for long enough that sometimes he brings shit home and I'm like NO. THAT HAS TO LEAVE THIS HOUSE IMMEDIATELY.

Sometimes it hurts the girls' feelings, but really it's for the best.

:lulz:

Kind of curious about what such a gift could be.

Also taking bets until the answer is revealed.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Johnny

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 24, 2014, 11:23:29 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 24, 2014, 12:18:30 AM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 08:46:18 PM
Of course, we've been friends for long enough that sometimes he brings shit home and I'm like NO. THAT HAS TO LEAVE THIS HOUSE IMMEDIATELY.

Sometimes it hurts the girls' feelings, but really it's for the best.

Kind of curious about what such a gift could be.

Also taking bets until the answer is revealed.

A wild stoat.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 24, 2014, 02:51:49 AM
So, are you gonna give us the whole story, or what?

There's no story.

It's vaguely related to another string of  thought I've been playing with, though, which has gleaned an interesting variety of answers and which I will probably post after I take a shower and run some errands.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: Ragret on September 23, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
Gifts become property and property needs to be looked after.
Therefore unwanted gifts are an attack on your well-being. Take revenge, give them a worse gift, for example the gift you just received but now on fire.

Polite people suffer the most under this kind of attack, complete and utter bastards do fine.

Don't laugh!! The first and last line are a pretty accurate description of my position on  unwanted gifts (I.E. most of them). The fire bit never actually happened. Well... not on purpose.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on September 25, 2014, 10:06:42 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on September 23, 2014, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: Ragret on September 23, 2014, 05:02:24 PM
Gifts become property and property needs to be looked after.
Therefore unwanted gifts are an attack on your well-being. Take revenge, give them a worse gift, for example the gift you just received but now on fire.

Polite people suffer the most under this kind of attack, complete and utter bastards do fine.

Don't laugh!! The first and last line are a pretty accurate description of my position on  unwanted gifts (I.E. most of them). The fire bit never actually happened. Well... not on purpose.

Oh no, I was laughing because it's also how I feel about 99.9% of gifts.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have taken to immediately regifting almost everything given to me. There have been a few things that I really loved, but for the most part it goes promptly to someone else or to Goodwill.

Then there's another category of "gift", which is the kind where someone thinks they're doing something nice for you, but you are just tolerating it because it makes them happy. I'm not exactly sure how to address that one.

Raz Tech

Quote from: Your Mom on September 25, 2014, 10:47:03 PM
I have taken to immediately regifting almost everything given to me. There have been a few things that I really loved, but for the most part it goes promptly to someone else or to Goodwill.

Then there's another category of "gift", which is the kind where someone thinks they're doing something nice for you, but you are just tolerating it because it makes them happy. I'm not exactly sure how to address that one.

Sounds like bad sex to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 25, 2014, 11:38:04 PM

:lol:, yeah, but then you're tolerating bad sex, which I know people do but I don't understand WHY.

Raz Tech

Quote from: Your Mom on September 26, 2014, 12:07:17 AM

:lol:, yeah, but then you're tolerating bad sex, which I know people do but I don't understand WHY.

Because it seemed like it would be awesome at the time, and you can't just stop half way through, and what would you do with all the fucking candles you just lit?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 26, 2014, 12:17:01 AM

Because it seemed like it would be awesome at the time, and you can't just stop half way through, and what would you do with all the fucking candles you just lit?

Yeah, but that's ONE time. Rule of thumb with sex is that you can't really tell for sure whether it's bad or just awkward until you've tried it at least three times. After that, though? Seems like after three tries, if it's still bad, you agree to just be friends.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 26, 2014, 12:17:01 AM

For some reason this made me laugh until I cried. Bravo.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Nephew Twiddleton

When my birthday or Christmas or something rolls around, and people ask what I want I invariably say something practical or a Guinness with me at the pub, or some other consumable. The reason for this is that I have too much trinkety stuff as it is. I accept it, I like it, I keep it, but it would fit into the unwanted category. Sometimes it's even a really thoughtful gift, and I love it, but chances are I never would have thought to ask for it or anything. I'm more than happy with a thing of new socks or some kitchen stuff. Stuff I might actually need and won't kinda sit on a shelf looking pretty.

Maybe having moved around a bit and hating the process, as well as being a student and underemployed has an effect on that.

So, I'll thank the person and mean it, and then wonder where to put it, and how I'm eventually going to transport it to wherever I live next. Villager's kinda getting used to the idea at this point. She got me a potato masher for my birthday this year.

Can you believe that? I've been living in this place since 3 summers ago, and that whole time without a potato masher.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

tyrannosaurus vex

When people ask what I want for my birthday or Chrstmas, I always ask for something completely impossible, like FIVE GODDAMN MINUTES OF PEACE AND QUIET. As a result I rarely have to deal with the problem of receiving unwanted gifts.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.