News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

The Race Test

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, May 18, 2010, 08:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 19, 2010, 12:47:22 AM
Quote from: Kai on May 18, 2010, 11:48:05 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 18, 2010, 10:27:40 PM
Speaking of pervasive racism, I am fascinated by the fact that more than one respondent in this thread seems to be assuming that all of the children in the study were white. I am also fascinated by people who choose to express opinions on studies they obviously haven't actually bothered to read.

I suggest that before you argue about the methods used in the study, you actually download and read it. The link is in the article.

I've read the methods. No where in there is a statement about removing left/right bias to the scale, and the questions are poorly worded.

The conclusion assuming racism rather than kin selection is premature as well.

And no where did I assume all the children were white.

Most of all, I hate how CNN has sensationalized this, just like every other study out there on any subject. Media always has to make science into a spectacle.

Concluding that the children chose the lighter figures as "good" and the darker figures as "bad" because of kin selection presupposes that the children were white. If you read the study than surely you saw that their selection of study subjects was designed to equalize familiarity preference across demographics, right?

Yeah, and that the same would happen with the black children, except opposite. If in fact kin selection was at play. Is this not what I said?

Edit: I think you are refering to this statement:

QuoteYou could easily randomize that aspect by swapping the pictures around, so that sometimes the white kid is on the left and sometimes the right,

By which I assumed you knew that the darker skinned example would be switched conversely. I could have said "black kid" and it would have meant exactly the same thing. We're semantic quibbling, we both agree that the study included black and white children.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on May 18, 2010, 09:59:12 PM
However, attributing this to racism in upbringing rather than some sort of kin selection is another point of bias.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 19, 2010, 02:11:04 AM
Quote from: Kai on May 18, 2010, 09:59:12 PM
However, attributing this to racism in upbringing rather than some sort of kin selection is another point of bias.

Edit: Never mind, I see what you're saying.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 19, 2010, 12:47:22 AM
Quote from: Kai on May 18, 2010, 11:48:05 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on May 18, 2010, 10:27:40 PM
Speaking of pervasive racism, I am fascinated by the fact that more than one respondent in this thread seems to be assuming that all of the children in the study were white. I am also fascinated by people who choose to express opinions on studies they obviously haven't actually bothered to read.

I suggest that before you argue about the methods used in the study, you actually download and read it. The link is in the article.

I've read the methods. No where in there is a statement about removing left/right bias to the scale, and the questions are poorly worded.

The conclusion assuming racism rather than kin selection is premature as well.

And no where did I assume all the children were white.

Most of all, I hate how CNN has sensationalized this, just like every other study out there on any subject. Media always has to make science into a spectacle.

Concluding that the children chose the lighter figures as "good" and the darker figures as "bad" because of kin selection presupposes that the children were white. If you read the study than surely you saw that their selection of study subjects was designed to equalize familiarity preference across demographics, right?
Er, I could be interpreting the report wrong, but they didn't say that the kids all chose white, they talked about 'preferred race' 'self selected skin tone' in the results section.

Edited to correct for my memory after rechecking the results section.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Brotep

Great job trolling that girl's mom, CNN!

East Coast Hustle

I don't have much to say about the study itself, but I agree that using the made-up word "grok" in all seriousness is absolutely retarded and could possibly provoke a violent and completely justified reaction if said in the wrong company.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 09, 2010, 04:10:45 PM
I don't have much to say about the study itself, but I agree that using the made-up word "grok" in all seriousness is absolutely retarded and could possibly provoke a violent and completely justified reaction if said in the wrong company.

Weirdly, I started using it long before I read any Heinlein... it came from hanging out in computer geek circles many years ago and pops out of my mouth quite often. However, I'll see what I can do about eschewing it around here since it apparently impairs communication.  :roll:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 09, 2010, 04:15:20 PM
Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 09, 2010, 04:10:45 PM

Weirdly, I started using it long before I read any Heinlein... it came from hanging out in computer geek circles many years ago and pops out of my mouth quite often. However, I'll see what I can do about eschewing it around here since it apparently impairs communication.  :roll:

Interestingly, the reason it bugs the shit out of me is that I DID read Heinlein; Stranger in a Strange Land was one of the first novels I ever read and pretty much everyone uses grok FUCKING WRONG.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Uninterestingly, the reason it bugs the shit out of me is because it's friggin' stupid.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Placid Dingo

There's an interesting one in Freakonomics where they get people to click on words or people that symbolise

Good or White

Good or Black

Evil or White

Evil or Black

Basically there's a consistent but tiny delay in Good or Black, compared to Good or White (one employee says he managed to eliminate the gep one day after he'd been watching the olympics in the morning).

Calling it rascism is a bit of a misnomer, but in terms of measuring unconcious attitudes, the kids experenent sounds interesting.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cramulus

you've gotta be really careful when asking young children questions, because they don't answer rationally. This is, oddly, something that experimental psychology has only recently figured out.

For example, you know when they give the kid a doll and tell the kid "point to where the bad man touched you"?

Well it turns out that if you give a kid a doll with orifices and genitals which are not present on any doll the kid has ever seen, and you ask them just about anything, "point to the doll's nose", the kid is going to point to the doll's mystery hole or wee carrot or barn hole.

also: I am adding "grok" to my list of words to use whenever possible  :lulz:

AFK

What was left out of this is the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" angle.  In other words, the easy conclusion is that it's all the parents' fault.  But, I think another point to consider is the role of the culture and environment.  I say this particularly in light of the reporting on the article that mentioned black children also tended to point to the light skinned child as being smarter.  I have a suspicion that part of what is being reflected here isn't solely the values of the parents, but the values of the community and society the children are living in.  Kids are far more observant than they are often given credit for and absorb quite a bit, from TV, etc.,   

And really CNN, was it really necessary to put some well-meaning parents through the emotional ringer like that?  Leave the kids and parents alone and conduct these experiments on conservative talk show hosts instead. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cramulus on June 10, 2010, 05:05:35 PM
also: I am adding "grok" to my list of words to use whenever possible  :lulz:
We should start grokking our memes all the time.

:awesome:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

BADGE OF HONOR

To further the derail, Rat has been using "grok" pretty much forever as far as I can remember.  Why get worked up about it now?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Requia ☣

Dok has called him out on it before.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.