News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

HEY OREGON, WE'RE JUST AS WEIRD AS YOU ARE!

Started by East Coast Hustle, June 20, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on February 27, 2014, 08:23:33 AM
I think that falling into a machine that BREAKS UP CLUMPS OF TREE BARK WITH 7 INCH TINES counts as something that most people would not have imagined.

And, I mean, Kelso.

Yeah, but it's also the "afraid to click on links" kind of "would not have  imagined".

Oregon has a gentle spiraling self-destruction that is bemusing. In Washington, people have for-profit horse sex parties where a guy gets fucked to death by a stallion.

Oregon headlines make you go  :lol:

Washington headlines make you go  :aaa:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, we have a tendency to get bored and quit fucking around.

Sometimes it goes wrong.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Or, put another way, it's what PDX might be like if it wasn't so damn NICE there. :lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on February 27, 2014, 06:24:15 PM
Or, put another way, it's what PDX might be like if it wasn't so damn NICE there. :lulz:

Yes, exactly. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Newcomers often mistakenly call it "passive-aggressive", but actually, it's that they're really freaking us out and we don't know how to respond. So we scurry away and make an art project about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, there's something about the Portland mannerism that really fucks up communications with people who aren't from here. People from San Francisco and Oakland kind of get it, but from anywhere else, it's a trainwreck of crossed wires waiting to happen. In person, people think we're too nice, passive, and polite. In writing, people think we're giant dicks who put things way too bluntly. People who are from here tend to say whatever they're thinking, but somehow the delivery softens it too much and nobody can hear it, or they get confused by the gentleness of the delivery and accuse us of being passive-aggressive. I think it's because we talk slowly and tend not to be very loud. That and talking in newscaster english probably confuses people. Keep on fucking that chicken!

East Coast Hustle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

East Coast Hustle

In all fairness, the street sweeper rampage was somewhere in the south end, which is basically if Gresham had a million people and was half of a large county.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 15, 2014, 05:26:36 PM
In all fairness, the street sweeper rampage was somewhere in the south end, which is basically if Gresham had a million people and was half of a large county.

Annnnnnnnnnd you're not helping make me any less scared.

President Television

Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2014, 06:49:24 PM
Also, there's something about the Portland mannerism that really fucks up communications with people who aren't from here. People from San Francisco and Oakland kind of get it, but from anywhere else, it's a trainwreck of crossed wires waiting to happen. In person, people think we're too nice, passive, and polite. In writing, people think we're giant dicks who put things way too bluntly. People who are from here tend to say whatever they're thinking, but somehow the delivery softens it too much and nobody can hear it, or they get confused by the gentleness of the delivery and accuse us of being passive-aggressive. I think it's because we talk slowly and tend not to be very loud. That and talking in newscaster english probably confuses people. Keep on fucking that chicken!

I kinda want to move there now.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: President Television on March 15, 2014, 09:05:19 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2014, 06:49:24 PM

I kinda want to move there now.

It's an interesting place to live, that's for sure!

East Coast Hustle

I would say that it is hands-down the best "big" city to live in in the USA and whichever city is 2nd best is a VERY distant second so there's no point in Seattle and SF even arguing over it. Plus, it's SO AFFORDABLE. Which is good because it is almost completely impossible to make money!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 16, 2014, 06:44:01 AM
I would say that it is hands-down the best "big" city to live in in the USA and whichever city is 2nd best is a VERY distant second so there's no point in Seattle and SF even arguing over it. Plus, it's SO AFFORDABLE. Which is good because it is almost completely impossible to make money!

LOL AFFORDABLE

So yesterday I learned a lot of things about the Columbia Slough floodplain, and one of the things I learned is that median income for the employees of industry on the floodplain is about $72,000, while the median income for the employees in Portland's hippest neighborhoods is $23,000. So, none of the people who work on Mississippi or Alberta or Hawthorne can actually afford to live there. Or anywhere, really.

East Coast Hustle

Yep. Portland was cheap as shit to live in for me when I was there (at least, compared to Seattle or New England), I just had to make my money in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STATE.