News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

This is Why People Hate Atheists

Started by hooplala, August 12, 2014, 12:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Twid:  Point also taken, then it reminds me of being part of His bark's everlasting continuity.

[and now I feel quite naked :lulz:]

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

minuspace

EK WAFFLR

Also. Why people hate atheists, part 734: Richard Dawkins.

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

MMIX

Quote from: Allfader Waffles on August 21, 2014, 08:21:03 AM
Also. Why people hate atheists, part 734: Richard Dawkins.

Wiki provides some thought provoking info on people's reactions to Down's diagnoses.
QuoteAbout 92% of pregnancies in Europe with a diagnosis of Down syndrome are terminated. In the United States, termination rates are around 67%, but this varies significantly depending upon the population evaluated. When nonpregnant people are asked if they would have a termination if their fetus tested positive, 23–33% said yes, when high-risk pregnant women were asked, 46–86% said yes, and when women who screened positive are asked, 89–97% say yes.

Dawkins' view doesn't seem that far off the norm, so why slag him in particular?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

Aside from the fact that he is another man once again telling a woman that a certain choice for what she does with her baby is immoral?

[Dawkins hate derail]
Lets be clear here, Dawkins doesn't get slagged off for being an athiest, (although the weird celebrity thing is unpleasant ).
Dawkins gets derided for his horrible worldviews,  horrible political beliefs, and horrible narcissism.

The reason I dislike him is that is that his role as once being a scientist also seems to get him a free pass for the horrible shit he says. I worked in research for a few years before moving into engineering and still have close ties to a lot of the people in there.

Lots of them are vocal intelligent atheists that I respect deeply. I don't like the fact that when he says something idiotic people bring up his past research, it doesn't justify it and its insulting to other scientists. Furthermore I find it unpleasant that he is the go to pop atheist when there are scholars with far more interesting things to say on the subject than him.
[/Dawkins hate derail]
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Raz Tech

I think it's because he's a thick-skulled, shit-talking swill who has taken it as his life-long mission to deride the church and any creationists into oblivion, which is in tune with the everyday super-outspoken atheist who will do anything, so long as they can make a name for themselves as a renowned atheist, no matter how many friends they lose or people they leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so they can make a name for themselves as a renowned atheist, no matter how many friends they lose or people they leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way.

hooplala

Yeah, it's becoming more and more obvious that all factions have this vocal minority of assholes that everyone collectively just wishes they would shut the fuck up.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

I hate Dawkins because it isn't about atheism, it's all about Dawkins, running his Palinesque marathon of trying to stay in the spotlight.

He is fucking the wrong end of the pig.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 21, 2014, 02:08:57 PM

I'm not sure I've ever heard that before...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 21, 2014, 02:09:36 PM

It's an old military thing, probably dreamed up by German NATO troops.

"I would call him a pigfucker, but he would probably get the wrong end of the pig."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

When a German insults you, you stay insulted.   :lol:

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 21, 2014, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 21, 2014, 02:09:36 PM

It's an old military thing, probably dreamed up by German NATO troops.

"I would call him a pigfucker, but he would probably get the wrong end of the pig."

:lulz: fucking amazing!
Back to the fecal matter in the pool