News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Towards a Situationist Cultural Epistemology - my final paper for philosophy

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, January 19, 2010, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I like philosophy, and I also think it's a waste of time. It's kinda like running on a treadmill -- you're not fucking going anywhere on that thing, but you get the same workout as if you were running to the local movie theatre six miles away. Cheaper than the price of a ticket, and you don't have to sit through blue furries and wooden dialog.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 20, 2010, 06:47:47 PM
Cheaper than the price of a ticket, and you don't have to sit through blue furries and wooden dialog.

But there's still the suicidal tendencies.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 20, 2010, 06:45:58 PM
Fun fact: cringing exercises over fifty different muscles in your face.  That's why TGRR can crack walnuts between his jowls ASS CHEEKS :)

Fixed.

TGRR,
Uses them for talking, too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 06:52:38 PM
Fun fact: cringing exercises over fifty different muscles in your face.  That's why TGRR can crack walnuts between his jowls ASS CHEEKS :)

Fixed.

TGRR,

:lulz:  I stand corrected  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 20, 2010, 06:55:51 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 06:52:38 PM

Fixed.

TGRR,

:lulz:  I stand corrected  :lulz:

As a Holy Man™, my ass only channels a higher power.

So when you see me talking out of my ass, do not question it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 04:21:01 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2010, 03:25:13 PM
I like philosophy.

You work in a bar.  That is the only acceptable venue - or occupation - that is acceptable for philosophy.

True.  But I would read philosophy regardless.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2010, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2010, 04:21:01 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2010, 03:25:13 PM
I like philosophy.

You work in a bar.  That is the only acceptable venue - or occupation - that is acceptable for philosophy.

True.  But I would read philosophy regardless.

But you'd feel dirty.  Admit it.

Cain

Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 06:39:23 PM
Let's all just cringe at each other because we all know so much better but can't be bothered.  That passes for discussion, right?

Sorry, would you like a dissertation instead?

Well unfortunately for you cupcake, some of us are too busy to indulge ourselves in every passing argument to the maximum degree of our abilities, yet still wish to express something on said topic before we go back to writing several thousand word articles on, say, Lenin and Wilson's differing theories on self-determination.  Somehow, you will just have to survive on what I've offered.

Jasper

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2010, 07:06:39 PM
Let's all just cringe at each other because we all know so much better but can't be bothered.  That passes for discussion, right?

Well unfortunately for you cupcake, some of us are too busy to indulge ourselves in every passing argument to the maximum degree of our abilities, yet still wish to express something on said topic before we go back to writing several thousand word articles on, say, Lenin and Wilson's differing theories on self-determination.  Somehow, you will just have to survive on what I've offered.

Vladmir Lenin and Robert Anton Wilson? I would very much like to see that article.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 07:21:07 PM
I was referring to GI's hollow jab at me. 

He's good for that.  He even tried taking a swipe in the psycho letters.

Aufenthatt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 07:41:11 PM
Quote from: Khara on January 19, 2010, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 07:10:44 PM
Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 19, 2010, 06:52:51 PM
It means that the french intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals who took over Paris in 1968 had an unspoken agreement about what can and can't be known, and why.

This is why philosophy is unmitigated bullshit.  It isn't art, and it has no application.

It is just another way to excuse holding your cigarettes backward and failing miserably at picking up chicks.  Sort of like an Ayn Rand fan, only without the tweed.

:lulz:

I swear, these philosophy geeks are the worst.  When they aren't hanging around the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble trying to look intimidating, they're taking up all the good seats at the coffee shop.  In a civilized nation, they'd all be put to sleep for their own good.

In Scotland over-worked waitresses put piss in their wine and urethral lining in their soup.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on January 20, 2010, 07:06:39 PM

I'd like to give that a read when you're done.

There was a point made in a book I read a while back that said that Wilson's theory of self-determination pretty much accelerated WW2. I don't entirely agree, but comparing different ideas on the subject (as a whole, not just with regards to WW2) would be a good thing.