News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Wind turbines

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 09, 2014, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm fascinated by these fuckers. We don't have them on the Western side of the state, but go to the Eastern side and they're everyfuckingwhere:

And they're quite large.

I've never gotten up close to them. You can drive through them, but you aren't supposed to stop and hang out with them. Do you guys have many of them near where you live? They're so weird. And cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

tyrannosaurus vex

Had a few in Wyoming. Arizona, of course, is having none of that renewable-energy shit dreamed up by latte-sipping liberals from Yale.

I think they're cool looking, but I'm not super impressed with the technology to be honest. Just not futury enough for me.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on January 09, 2014, 09:35:34 PM
Had a few in Wyoming. Arizona, of course, is having none of that renewable-energy shit dreamed up by latte-sipping liberals from Yale.

I think they're cool looking, but I'm not super impressed with the technology to be honest. Just not futury enough for me.

When I was at the conference in November we got a preview of some new wind turbine designs coming up. I think you'll be pleased.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Actually, come to think of it, you might not be pleased at all, because they're based on biomimicry.

This might not be your future.  :lol:

tyrannosaurus vex

No, biomimicry is awesome. What I don't like about the ones we have is they look awkward to me. Biomimicry would probably go a long way toward fixing that.

Eater of Clowns

The neighboring town put up a couple of them recently. Residents nearby fought tooth and nail to prevent them being put in, and put in grievance after grievance once they were operating because the swooping sound they made caused them psychological distress.

Naturally, before my local satire page went defunct, they were ridiculed ruthlessly.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Johnny

yeah, when all birds die ang go extinct because they go into turbine and we run out of air because it depletes it and no more waves in the ocean and nothing ti breath you will think twice of your hippy dreams of free energies
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Suu

I'm with you Nigel, I think they're gorgeous!

I think they were a vast improvement in the Port of Providence. My friends and I even named them.

These are the girls: Windy, Wendy, and Gale.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jj7o_V79fWk/UMfpZO0goLI/AAAAAAAAAoc/ksxkkElFVs0/s1600/Beacon+Wind+Turbine+Photo.JPG (big pic)

And then the first one built in the state, which is part of New England Tech, is Mariah, further down the road is Gwynt, which I guess is Welsh for wind. In Wickford we have Wicket the Wicked Wickford Windmill, and in Narragansett we have Salty.

Then we have the offshore farm near Block Island:

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Here's Mariah!

Wicket, he's MASSIVE:

Here's Salty when he was being built:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They're neat. One of the things that trips me out is just the sheer enormous scale, partly because there are so many of them over East of the Cascades. It kind of boggles my mind. Hundreds and hundreds of them.

My brain can't quite handle the scale of it. And there are even more of them in Washington and California, I think.

tyrannosaurus vex

The bigness is one redeeming value. Also having a field of generators just powering civilization in a way that's more like a handshake with the environment than a violent conquest of it. Which, now that I think about it, is probably why so many people oppose them so angrily.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Suu, you guys seem to have them quite close to human habitation... or is that an optical illusion? We don't put ours near anything, but then again most of the state is uninhabited.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on January 10, 2014, 07:05:01 AM
The bigness is one redeeming value. Also having a field of generators just powering civilization in a way that's more like a handshake with the environment than a violent conquest of it. Which, now that I think about it, is probably why so many people oppose them so angrily.

That, and it spoils their view.

Not kidding, that's a huge point of contention.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 10, 2014, 07:06:11 AM
Quote from: V3X on January 10, 2014, 07:05:01 AM

That, and it spoils their view.

Not kidding, that's a huge point of contention.

They should learn to appreciate manmade structures as belonging in the natural world, then. My father in law hates them to pieces because the land owners are allowed to shoot down eagles, but him and his hunting buddies aren't.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, sometimes they do this:

and that's bad.