News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Suu's Soap Making Adventure.

Started by Suu, February 26, 2014, 03:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on March 07, 2014, 04:19:17 AM
Lanolin is a good addition, it increases the viscosity. I should think about adding lanolin to mine.

It kinda smells like sheep, but I swear by it on my hands this time of year.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Bitches, I just made FUCKING SOAP.

Safety first!
This was by FAR the worst part, adding the lye to the water. Next time: This happens outside no matter how fucking cold it is.
The olive oil in the crockpot.
Mixing the lye solution with the oil to reach "trace."
Once trace was achieved, I added some dried lavender for pretties.
Heating in the crockpot to hurry saponification. I was talked into doing hot process instead of cold process, as hot process makes a bar of soap faster, AND it's arguably more medieval period, and definitely colonial (sans crockpot.) A consumer market can't wait for cold process. It takes months when this takes days. Plus it needs to be delivered to the recipient by May 1.

More pics as it saponifies and gets into the mold.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on March 07, 2014, 01:04:15 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 07, 2014, 04:19:17 AM
Lanolin is a good addition, it increases the viscosity. I should think about adding lanolin to mine.

It kinda smells like sheep, but I swear by it on my hands this time of year.

The denatured stuff is much less sheep-y. I like Lansinoh, but it's pretty expensive.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

At saponification point.

In the mold it goes.