News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

What good books have you read recently?

Started by Fizzwitz Glorypoop, November 24, 2005, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzwitz Glorypoop

I'm reading the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones and I like it, even if they are a bit dorky and childish.
Fizzwitz Glorypoop, Baroness of Paradox, Episkopos of the Cabal of Innocent Absurdity

"Snorting ground up crows beak off the broken shards of your bathroom mirror might not get you high, but that doesnt mean its not worth doing." - Z3

hooplala

I just finished reading Our Haunted Planet by John Keel.  It was ludicrous, but enjoyable.

Just before that I read Valis by Philip K. Dick, which was wonderful.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bella

I'm re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
I never get tired of it.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

LHX

i just finished valis too

also reading a go strategy book
uncanny x-men issues 1-24
and some shit by sartre and borges
neat hell

slothrop23

whats the borges? i read fictions and labyrinth's liked all ze little stories. especially lottery of babylon.

i'm reading breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut, its typical and good.

scanner darkly will be out soon. another philip.k.dick book turned film. its done like waking life, filmed then animated. sorry if this is telling you what you already know, but i'm very excited.
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Cain

I'm reading a book on Carlos the Jackal, can't remember the authors but its a pretty defintive work on European and Middle Eastern terrorism during the 70s too.  Lots of useful information on the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine's activities and politics.

slothrop23

i had a trivial pursuit question on him. i got it wrong.

are you doing a politics course at uni?
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Cain

Yeah, International Relations.  Interesting character, ol' Carlos.  They're still not sure if he was KGB or not, for instance.

slothrop23

did they catch him. you'll have to excuse my stupidity.
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Cain

You'd be surprised, few people even know about the Jackal now. Alot think he's a fictional character.

Yeah, the French grabbed him in the end.  He was working for Saddam Hussien at the time and wanted some plastic surgery in the Sudan, for obvious reasons.  The doc put him under, the French gave him a big wad of cash and bundled him onto a plane.  Next thing he knew, he was in a French military prison, where he is still staying now.  He shouldnt have taken Saddam's job.  He wanted revenge for 1991 but not many people were willing to it, even for the cash.  If he'd said no, he'd probably still be living the high life in the Sudan, his millions keeping him well until the end.

Bella

Yeah, I remember when that happened. Most interesting how things came about in that case.
just like in a dream

East Coast Hustle

I'm reading "48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene, the 7th book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series (best thing he's writen in 15 years), and "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

Quote from: slothrop the wrapperi'm reading breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut, its typical and good.

scanner darkly will be out soon. another philip.k.dick book turned film. its done like waking life, filmed then animated. sorry if this is telling you what you already know, but i'm very excited.

I love Breakfast of Champions, one of my favourite books.  It's great to read on a plane.  Don't go rent the movie, if you haven't already, life it TOO short.  

And I am thrilled that Scanner Darkly is coming out soon, I think it was supposed to come out in July.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

slothrop23

Quote from: Baron von Hoopla
Quote from: slothrop the wrapperi'm reading breakfast of champions by kurt vonnegut, its typical and good.

I love Breakfast of Champions, one of my favourite books.  It's great to read on a plane.  Don't go rent the movie, if you haven't already, life it TOO short.  

And I am thrilled that Scanner Darkly is coming out soon, I think it was supposed to come out in July.

yeah kurts great. i like the openess of his writing, and the homeliness and warmth.  i bought the film but never watched it, so thanks for the heads up.
Wind turbines.

I'm a big fan

Bella

I just started reading Cloud Atlas and it's cracking me up so far because the Dr. is on the beach sifting for teeth the cannibals spit out during their feasts. It's really very good. Thanks for recommending it, sloth.
just like in a dream