News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

ZIPPLETITS! I WOULD LIKE TO PICK YOUR BRAINS ABOUT LINUX!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 05, 2012, 12:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

My 12 year old nephew is using Ubuntu on his laptop, and I said I'd ask about Python programming resources at a basic level, and wonder if you have or know of any resources that would be good for someone his age.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

the last yatto

Same publisher does cult of legos, so that's how I came across it...
but table of contexts does sound preteenish

Chapter 1: Not All Snakes Slither
Chapter 2: Calculations and Variables
Chapter 3: Strings, Lists, Tuples, and Maps
Chapter 4: Drawing with Turtles
Chapter 5: Asking Questions with if and else
Chapter 6: Going Loopy
Chapter 7: Recycling Your Code with Functions and Modules
Chapter 8: How to Use Classes and Objects
Chapter 9: Python's Built-In Functions
Chapter 10: Useful Python Modules
Chapter 11: More Turtle Graphics
Chapter 12: Faster Graphics for Animation
Chapter 13: Creating Your First Game: Bounce!
Chapter 14: Mister Stick Figure Races for the Toilet
Chapter 15: Where to Go from Here
Appendix A: Python Keywords
Appendix B: Answers to Programming Puzzles
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Sir Squid Diddimus

ZIPPLETITS! I WOULD LIKE TO PICK YOUR BRAINS...

with this

delicious brain picking

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bu🤠ns

pixie-- for python...

I really love the head first series: http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpython/

There are good pictures and diagrams that really helps to detail the learning process.

Also go to youtube and check out the Google Python Class

Also in youtube there's a great set of other tutorials on there.

I found by following along with the videos I was able to retain the info a bit better than reading.

http://www.codecademy.com also just recently added python to their set of lessons.

Finally, starting on October 15th coursera.org will be hosting(?) a free online class from Rice University called An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python. I'm enrolled :P

ETA: To fix the spelling and linkage...thanks TDM!

The Dark Monk

Quote from: Bu☆ns on August 10, 2012, 07:09:05 AM
pixie-- for python...

I really love the head first series: http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpython/

There are good pictures and diagrams that really helps to detail the learning process.

Also go to youtube and check out the Google Python Class

Also in youtube there's a great set of other tutorials on there.

I found by following along with the videos I was able to retain the info a bit better than reading.

http://www.codecademy.com also just recently added python to their set of lessons.

Finally, starting on October 15th coursera.org will be hosting(?) a free online class from Rice University called An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python. I'm enrolled :P

This is what I use and it's wonderful, though I am currently using the one to refresh my java.

Edit: spelling and linkage.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~