News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

The fact that every interesting recent thread has devolved into a pun war.

Started by Triple Zero, January 10, 2011, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 10, 2011, 07:22:53 PM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

I think that it was probably a sense of dread on their parts, like, 'oh Jeez, here comes another one'.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

NOT EVEN ONCE, SIGGIE.

Puns will not help you "hook up".  They will not make you dance better.  They WILL, however, fuck up your skin, make your teeth fall out, make your face curl up like a fist, and cause you to think you have bugs under your skin.

Stick with 'stache.  It's a better high, and it won't make your nose suppurate.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

Poppycock!  Puns are manna from heaven.  They are the key to higher spiritual existence!  A good pun allows you to shake hands with Yahweh himself!  Do not listen to the unbelievers! 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 10, 2011, 07:31:34 PM
Poppycock!  Puns are manna from heaven.  They are the key to higher spiritual existence!  A good pun allows you to shake hands with Yahweh himself!  Do not listen to the unbelievers! 

Only the first one is free.  By this time next year, these kids will be mugging octagenarians for pun money, and living in squalor under bridges.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 10, 2011, 07:31:34 PM

Jasper

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 10, 2011, 07:27:24 PM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

I think that it was probably a sense of dread on their parts, like, 'oh Jeez, here comes another one'.

I can understand that.  What I can't stand is how often any amount of hijack becomes full-on "thread roont" mode.  It seems like everybody's way too eager to crap on the parade.  Thread ruined.  Because discussions on the internet are always so orderly.  If you don't care for a post in a thread, fucking skip it.  Quote something earlier and respond to that.  The only thing that actually ruins a thread is making people not want to talk about something anymore, and if a couple jokes is all it takes, maybe you never actually cared that much.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 10, 2011, 07:29:29 PM
I'm pissed off because apparently there has been a streak of pun threadjacking that I wasn't aware of, and people choose to crawl up my ass when I do it a little bit.  I was done after two.

NOT EVEN ONCE, SIGGIE.

Puns will not help you "hook up".  They will not make you dance better.  They WILL, however, fuck up your skin, make your teeth fall out, make your face curl up like a fist, and cause you to think you have bugs under your skin.

Stick with 'stache.  It's a better high, and it won't make your nose suppurate.

'Stache will always be my preferred drug.  

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM
I can understand that.  What I can't stand is how often any amount of hijack becomes full-on "thread roont" mode.  It seems like everybody's way too eager to crap on the parade.  Thread ruined.  Because discussions on the internet are always so orderly.  If you don't care for a post in a thread, fucking skip it.  

Problem:  On several occasions recently, any on-topic posts have been buried under 2 pages of puns.

On top of that, while a genuine, well though-out pun can be funny, the ones that are nothing more than plays on words - not even GOOD plays on words - are painful to read.  Not in a good way.  It's like hearing dittoheads call Clinton "Klintoon", convinced that they are the next Oscar Wilde.

It makes me want to spontaneously combust.  No shit.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

I had no idea it was that bad lately.  Would not have sprung for such cheap humor if I did. 

Whatever

I realy hadn't noticed it either.  I guess I've just been too relieved that we seem to be going thru a "tard fee phase" where all the wanna be trolls who are trying to teach us how to be really real discordians in every damn thread just have disappeared.

I was enjoying the quiet of just us.....

Personally I would prefer puns, even bad ones, to trolls.

Triple Zero

I only saw you do one (missed something i think), which was the first one that started it off, so you're not part of the pile-up, therefore the OP wasn't directed at you.

Also it was mainly directed at the much worse pun-runs in other threads* , I just copied my reply to a separate thread to not derail the oak-tree one further, thereby giving undue weight to the pun-run in that particular thread. We okay now? :)

(*which I probably played part in a few times, so the OP is also directed at me, except not really cause I already got the message for having written it)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, YOU were but by then it was too late because a bunch of other pigfuckers decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Here's the thing: Puns are not funny. And a bunch of puns in a row are not clever.

They are the domain of average-intelligence gamer geeks who obsessively watch Monty Python and think that makes them geniuses. Have you ever been in a room with those people? Do it once, and you will never think puns are funny again.

Puns are extra unfunny when they are placed in threads with real content. My current policy is, once the punning starts in a thread I was interested in, I'm done with that thread. It's over. The way things are going, this whole board is THIS close to being as much of an inane circlejerk of mediocrity as The Cellar, because a bunch of people, some newbs and some not, have started seeing EVERY FUCKING OPENING as a glorious golden opportunity to show off how clever they think they are by stringing completely lame puns off each other.

If it actually keeps going that way and everybody keeps making excuses for why it's OK, I would be perfectly happy to institute a zero-tolerance hateshitting policy that will fuck up every single fucking  thread of everyone who drops a single one of those retard shitbombs in any thread, ever, except for RWHN who gets a special pass by virtue of that being his identity and actually putting effort into it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I think occasionally it's ok. I indulged in one with Peleus earlier today, but it was only one that metalheads would get. No one bit, and as far as I know the thread went on.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2011, 12:15:40 AM

Yeah, YOU were but by then it was too late because a bunch of other pigfuckers decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Except only one other person made one solitary pun in response.  Some bandwagon. 

Whatever.  Fuck it, I'll stop punning since it's such a big deal.