News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

The fact that every interesting recent thread has devolved into a pun war.

Started by Triple Zero, January 10, 2011, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 06:41:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 11, 2011, 06:35:04 PM
You both lose, because everything I say is intentionally badwrong. I will accept an undisputed championship trophy now.

*ahem*

Hush, you aren't allowed to have every trophy, ya know?  :lulz:

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 06:41:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on January 11, 2011, 06:35:04 PM
You both lose, because everything I say is intentionally badwrong. I will accept an undisputed championship trophy now.

*ahem*

Hey, I didn't say I earned that trophy.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Even my NICE moments - rare as they are - are badwrong.  Why, just last week, I was greeting some Mormons at my doorstep, on my best behavior, and they walked away mid-sentence.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 06:46:29 PM
Even my NICE moments - rare as they are - are badwrong.  Why, just last week, I was greeting some Mormons at my doorstep, on my best behavior, and they walked away mid-sentence.

:spittake:

Were you nekkid?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 11, 2011, 06:47:42 PM

:spittake:

Were you nekkid?

What possible difference should that make?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

:lulz:

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on January 11, 2011, 05:06:03 PM
Let's start a thread about being butthurt in the thread that was started because another thread caused butthurt.

Sorry, I'm too butthurt.  I came here looking for butthurt, and lo!  I found it.  My arse is black and blue, and my rectum is now located somewhere in my chest cavity.

So I fucking WIN, given what the conditions for victory are around here, nowdays.

Where the FUCK is ECH, now that we finally need him?  He's fucking off, out on his ship.  This hurts my butt, and I can't find my big boy pance.

I'd like to describe how hard I'm praying for a 10 Km nickel-iron asteroid to plough into the planet right now, but I lack the words.

Nah, I'm in Portland enjoying my 5 weeks off, and spending most of it in real life. You kids will just have to work this out amongst yourselves.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

The shit?  When did this thread become hilarious?  HOW DARE YOU.  :crankey:

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on January 11, 2011, 07:47:14 PM
The shit?  When did this thread become hilarious?  HOW DARE YOU.  :crankey:

I've found it pretty hilarious throughout.  Where the fuck else would we have to start a serious thread about how the puns have gotten out of hand?   :lol:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 05:03:09 PM
I AM BUTTHURT ABOUT ALL THE FUCKING BUTTHURT ON THIS BOARD.

PARDON ME, I'M GOING TO WANDER INTO ANOTHER THREAD AND LOOK FOR A REASON TO BE OFFENDED.  LOUDLY.

Christ on a fucking barstool, how I hate you all.  I hate you with the power of 10,000 suns.  You should know better, you should be able to debate rationally, yet this board has MORE PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN SEARCH OF A BRUISED TESTICLE THAN ANY OTHER BOARD I'VE EVER SEEN, INCLUDING MW AND TCC.

If ANY of you loved me, you'd jump under a bus right fucking now.

:mittens:

hey at least, the oak tree thread is no longer jacked by pun-runs and the complainings about them and the butthurt about the complainings. giving rise to the opportunity for a pretty cool thread about modern art :)

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2011, 05:54:22 PMw/e I'm not that invested in it.  Just pointing out those kind of threadjacks are as annoying as the pun-based ones, so maybe it's not the puns that are the issue, it's the boring, low-in-sound-high-in-noise nature of the threadjacks.

we used to call that fluff, didn't we?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on January 11, 2011, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2011, 12:15:40 AM
Here's the thing: Puns are not funny. And a bunch of puns in a row are not clever.

They are the domain of average-intelligence gamer geeks who obsessively watch Monty Python and think that makes them geniuses. Have you ever been in a room with those people? Do it once, and you will never think puns are funny again.

Puns are extra unfunny when they are placed in threads with real content. My current policy is, once the punning starts in a thread I was interested in, I'm done with that thread. It's over. The way things are going, this whole board is THIS close to being as much of an inane circlejerk of mediocrity as The Cellar, because a bunch of people, some newbs and some not, have started seeing EVERY FUCKING OPENING as a glorious golden opportunity to show off how clever they think they are by stringing completely lame puns off each other.

If it actually keeps going that way and everybody keeps making excuses for why it's OK, I would be perfectly happy to institute a zero-tolerance hateshitting policy that will fuck up every single fucking  thread of everyone who drops a single one of those retard shitbombs in any thread, ever, except for RWHN who gets a special pass by virtue of that being his identity and actually putting effort into it.

And, pardon the brief moment of arrogance, I'm pretty fucking good at it.  And puns ARE funny and they ARE NOT the domain of "average-intelligence".  In my social circles, puns were bandied about amongst my other musician friends.  Folks who are actually pretty damned intelligent.  It certainly can be turned into low-rent humor, but you can say that about any kind of comedy, entertainment, or amusement. 

But thanks for giving me a "special pass". 

I know you enjoy your puns, and you do actually put, you know, energy into them. I appreciate things that people put real effort into, even if I still think they're horrible, like U2 for example, or that one hilarious black lady who sings "O Canada".

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Charley Brown on January 11, 2011, 03:58:47 PM
So. Who do we have to submit our posts to now for approval prior to actually posting them?

How about you say to yourself "I am an intelligent, interesting person. Does what I am about to post contribute to or at least show appreciation for this thread, or is it vapid drivel more appropriately placed at TCC?" and we all take it from there.

I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I like this board is because when I arrived it was full of intelligent, interesting conversation. Seeing those conversations derailed with inanity is worse than the flame wars that occasionally erupt, in my opinion. Flame wars can be fun. Vapid inanity is only fun for the vapidly inane.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2011, 05:03:09 PM
I AM BUTTHURT ABOUT ALL THE FUCKING BUTTHURT ON THIS BOARD.

PARDON ME, I'M GOING TO WANDER INTO ANOTHER THREAD AND LOOK FOR A REASON TO BE OFFENDED.  LOUDLY.

Christ on a fucking barstool, how I hate you all.  I hate you with the power of 10,000 suns.  You should know better, you should be able to debate rationally, yet this board has MORE PEOPLE WALKING AROUND IN SEARCH OF A BRUISED TESTICLE THAN ANY OTHER BOARD I'VE EVER SEEN, INCLUDING MW AND TCC.

If ANY of you loved me, you'd jump under a bus right fucking now.