News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Towards a Situationist Cultural Epistemology - my final paper for philosophy

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, January 19, 2010, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I wrote this as a final paper for my introductory philosophy class a while back. It's mostly BS, I think -- my concern was to construct the evidence for an implicit coherent system of epistemology in the SI's papers, not to determine whether or not one actually exists.

Link: http://namcub.accela-labs.com/stories/sit-epis-prettyprint.txt (recently prettyprinted version)

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Situationist Cultural Epistemology "

What the fuck does that actually mean?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It means that the french intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals who took over Paris in 1968 had an unspoken agreement about what can and can't be known, and why.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 19, 2010, 06:52:51 PM
It means that the french intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals who took over Paris in 1968 had an unspoken agreement about what can and can't be known, and why.

This is why philosophy is unmitigated bullshit.  It isn't art, and it has no application.

It is just another way to excuse holding your cigarettes backward and failing miserably at picking up chicks.  Sort of like an Ayn Rand fan, only without the tweed.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 07:10:44 PM

This is why philosophy is unmitigated bullshit.  It isn't art, and it has no application.

It is just another way to excuse holding your cigarettes backward and failing miserably at picking up chicks.  Sort of like an Ayn Rand fan, only without the tweed.

:lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on January 19, 2010, 07:27:01 PM

I swear, these philosophy geeks are the worst.  When they aren't hanging around the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble trying to look intimidating, they're taking up all the good seats at the coffee shop.  In a civilized nation, they'd all be put to sleep for their own good.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 07:41:11 PM

I swear, these philosophy geeks are the worst.  When they aren't hanging around the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble trying to look intimidating, they're taking up all the good seats at the coffee shop.  In a civilized nation, they'd all be put to sleep for their own good.

You know my thoughts on that.  I still think if you get enough signatures you should be able to have people put to sleep!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on January 19, 2010, 08:18:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 07:41:11 PM

You know my thoughts on that.  I still think if you get enough signatures you should be able to have people put to sleep!

Yarg.

Think of having that rule in October of 2001.

Shai Hulud

I'm sure I don't have to tell you this Enki, but you should ignore Roger's hatespew.  Philosophy is, of course, the only way to really get anything done, but there is a certain ilk that is too impatient with philosophy to see the forest for the trees.  But then again, it sounds almost as if he actually read your paper:)

A few notes:  You talk about how SI is "morally constrained" at least in relation to post-modernists, but I'm a little perplexed at this considering in the preceding paragraph you quoted above that they are not interested in "moral punishment."  I could be misunderstanding, because I am not at all familiar with the schools of thought you discuss here, but I find you conclusion paragraph at odds with the evidence you present.  Maybe you could help me to understand it better?

Jasper

One one hand without philosophy we might never have gotten logic, which was an early conceptual advancement that lead to logic circuits.  You know, computers.

On the other hand, it's a bit of a stretch to give Aristotle any credit for the internet.  Philosophy of science can be useful indirectly, but after trying to do philosophy almost my whole youth, I've come to the conclusion that one shouldn't learn philosophy until they've learned how to be useful in society and actually lived a little.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 06:55:59 AM
Philosophy of science can be useful indirectly, but after trying to do philosophy almost my whole youth, I've come to the conclusion that one shouldn't learn philosophy until they've learned how to be useful in society and actually lived a little.

Point.  Philosophy can lead to a cul-de-sac of misspent youth, but then again that's probably just going to happen with or without philosophy isn't it?  I'd say better to waste your youth thinking than waste your youth not thinking, but what do I know.

Jasper

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 20, 2010, 07:12:50 AM
Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 06:55:59 AM
Philosophy of science can be useful indirectly, but after trying to do philosophy almost my whole youth, I've come to the conclusion that one shouldn't learn philosophy until they've learned how to be useful in society and actually lived a little.

Point.  Philosophy can lead to a cul-de-sac of misspent youth, but then again that's probably just going to happen with or without philosophy isn't it?  I'd say better to waste your youth thinking than waste your youth not thinking, but what do I know.

Being at the stage where I'm running out of it, I can say with some confidence that youth is for being pretty and healthy and happy and carefree, because fuck if you can manage that when you're forty.

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper