News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 01, 2014, 09:24:29 PM
Quote from: Regret on May 01, 2014, 09:07:02 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 01, 2014, 08:57:39 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 01, 2014, 08:49:10 PM
QuoteIt usually takes me like 25 minutes to purchase holistic dog food because I'm concerned that there's not enough antioxidants in it.

--white woman, in Boulder, on the West End of Pearl Street

I can't get enough of this shit.  :lol:

I don't...What...Hey...
You take the words right out of my... uhm, thing, with teeth in...

Vagina?

Perfect.  :lol:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Freeky

ERH MAH GERB WANT A JOB. :argh!: Kotei is one month, three weeks away from today.  In Phoenix.  And I need certain rares for my double hardmode, retard baby deck that I absolutely will take to Kotei, because playing for the win conditions of Honor and Enlightenment out of the clan full of the biggest boogeymen and assholes in the game is hilarious and demands to be seen.

Maybe I can scrape up some pocket money with some surveys.

hooplala

As I may have mentioned, I recently got into security when I couldn't find any jobs in photo retouching... it was a huge mistake.  I'm seriously considering visiting every single temping agency in downtown Toronto next week.   :argh!:
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

President Television

Two days from now, I'm moving to Toronto. I'll have a job when I get there, and it appears that things are beginning to go well for a change, in spite of the temporary indignity of staying at my grandparents' place. I've had progress in therapy here, and I've begun to identify at least one of the mechanisms behind my behaviors. If I spend the summer establishing a routine to methodically adjust this mechanism, maybe I'll even be a functioning human being by winter.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on May 01, 2014, 11:05:40 PM
Two days from now, I'm moving to Toronto. I'll have a job when I get there, and it appears that things are beginning to go well for a change, in spite of the temporary indignity of staying at my grandparents' place. I've had progress in therapy here, and I've begun to identify at least one of the mechanisms behind my behaviors. If I spend the summer establishing a routine to methodically adjust this mechanism, maybe I'll even be a functioning human being by winter.

Good on ya, dude. 

Toronto is a fun town, even if it's full of degenerates.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sita

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 01, 2014, 04:59:33 PM
Well, then. Have you considered a temp agency? I dunno where you live, but if there's one in your area, it's a good way to get your foot in the door, and it's in the agency's interests to get you hired. Plus, a lot of them will help you out with interview prep, and some will even provide some basic skills training.

I got into my job through a temp agency. Once in, I proved that I was smart and capable, and a quick learner, so they took me on full time.  If you have the opportunity, it could be a good option for someone with limited experience.

I'll look around and see if there is one here. I very briefly did temp work after high school (reason for stopping was not having a car and living in the middle of nowhere) and it was fun. But has to be local stuff unfortunately, driving out to Tampa every day is out of the question with the price of gas right now.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Sita

Quote from: Regret on May 01, 2014, 08:39:22 PM
I third and second that.
Any kind of volunteer work is a good start.
Walk into every company near you where you think you could work (for at least a month without killing either yourself or someone else) and just chat with people there for a minute or two. Asking about a job is obviously very smart in this situation but even if you don't it is always good networking practice. The conversations may very well grant you insight in what is expected of workers in various jobs (allowing you to ace any interviews you get).

What are your skills and wishes job-wise?

The bolded is very much a problem for me. I do not talk well with people, especially strangers. Small talk was never a thing I understood and I never had to develop the ability to do so while growing up.

Skills..hmm. Used to be a good typist, but have slowed over the years. I'd probably be good with sorting or filing stuff.
Job-wise wishes would be to never have to deal with the public and deal very little with coworkers (confrontations literally shut me down and I hate office politics, thus wish to avoid them)

Of course both those are things that I have no real chance of achieving, but you did say wishes.
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Sita

Firefox just updated. I accidentally hit the 'go ahead' instead of the 'remind me' (or whatever the buttons are actually called).

Hate it. They made it look like chrome. The damned tabs are above the navigation and I CAN"T MOVE IT. It's stuck with the tab. I like my tabs below any navigation dangnabit! Plus it takes up even more room this way.

Also they took away the status bar. I was using that thing and now most of the things I had there I have to search through the menu to find and can't just quickly glance at.

Grr.

Eater of Clowns

Firefox has an abundance of addons, I'm sure you could find a simple UI one to fix it the way you like.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sita on May 02, 2014, 01:03:19 AM
I third and second that.
Walk into every company near you where you think you could work (for at least a month without killing either yourself or someone else) and just chat with people there for a minute or two. Asking about a job is obviously very smart in this situation but even if you don't it is always good networking practice. The conversations may very well grant you insight in what is expected of workers in various jobs (allowing you to ace any interviews you get).

The bolded is very much a problem for me. I do not talk well with people, especially strangers. Small talk was never a thing I understood and I never had to develop the ability to do so while growing up.

Skills..hmm. Used to be a good typist, but have slowed over the years. I'd probably be good with sorting or filing stuff.
Job-wise wishes would be to never have to deal with the public and deal very little with coworkers (confrontations literally shut me down and I hate office politics, thus wish to avoid them)

Of course both those are things that I have no real chance of achieving, but you did say wishes.

Shelf stock girl at a store? Warehouse fulfillment clerk? Inventory temp?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have no idea how I did today. I don't feel confident. I really hope I get this, but if not I guess I'll motor on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 02, 2014, 02:52:04 AM
I have no idea how I did today. I don't feel confident. I really hope I get this, but if not I guess I'll motor on.

I hope you get it too, and I hope you're just being overcritical of yourself.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

I third and second that.

Have you considered turning your CV into a tissue of lies? I'm quite serious. The hardest part about getting a job is getting through the door. If it's something you can do, tailor CV and covering letter to meet exact skills required and you've been doing that FOR YEARS.

In terms of skills, what do you enjoy doing? I suspect the range of occupations is wider than being considered and I've never met anyone yet who enjoyed typing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 02, 2014, 02:51:19 AM
I third and second that.

Shelf stock girl at a store? Warehouse fulfillment clerk? Inventory temp?
Those were my first thoughts too. Some additions: Baker, Mail deliverer(the retro paper kind), Landscape maintenance (I don't know how to translate it better; Municipal fauna maintenance technician? Manager of aesthetically pleasing photosynthesisers?), Surveyor's assistant?
Wait... I'm just listing jobs I've had. They might fit you though, limited social interaction and limited special skill requirements. Everything can be learned on the job as an extra plus.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"