News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

In no way do German scientists ever take themselves too seriously...no, rly

Started by Mangrove, December 23, 2009, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Reginald Ret

I agree with the scientist.
There is already too much stupid in the world, there is no need to add more.
Especially when its the type of stupid that is hard to detect.
Like 8-sided snowflakes.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cainad (dec.)

While he's at it, he should rail against any artistic depiction of anything unreal. Art should obviously never be used to depict the impossible or purely imaginary.

Reginald Ret

In cases where it is obvious that it is impossible or imaginary i have no qualms.
But when art makes people believe untrue things about the laws of physics i get annoyed.

Lets call Mr. Scientist's rant a piece of art and that way he is allowed to say stuff like that without being ridiculed.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Regret on December 24, 2009, 09:51:28 AM
Lets call Mr. Scientist's rant a piece of art and that way he is allowed to say stuff like that without being ridiculed.

Dude, if there's one thing you can learn from this board, it's that there is no such thing for which you cannot be ridiculed.

Art, science, history, IN THEIR FACE :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

LMNO

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Regret on December 24, 2009, 09:51:28 AM
In cases where it is obvious that it is impossible or imaginary i have no qualms.
But when art makes people believe untrue things about the laws of physics i get annoyed.

Lemme put it this way,

When people see an artistic depiction of a pentagonal or octagonal or whatever the fuckgonal snowflake, their brain does not say, "Ah! Based on this depiction of a snowflake, I can deduce that the physical properties of water allow it to form crystals of several different shapes."

No, the human brain looks at the depiction and says, "Snowflake!" If a physicist or anyone even remotely knowledgeable about physical science tells them that snowflakes can only form hexagons, they'll probably say, "Okay." If someone gets pissy about the unrealistic depictions of snowflakes in art and decoration, they'll probably say, "LOL" and poop on his head. It's as laughable as calling an X-ray a Roentgenogram; yeah, it's correct in a technical sense, but getting cranky about it is going to get you a wedgie from all the kids who aren't insufferable dorks.

From an aesthetic perspective, covering decorations in nothing but hexagonal forms will quickly get boring

LMNO

This sort of falls in the same area as people who get pissed when they hear someone talking about "the sunrise".

Of course the sun isn't rising; the earth is turning.  But if you're gonna get all pissy about it, you're just being an assbag.

Cain

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Reginald Ret

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on December 24, 2009, 02:52:00 PM
This sort of falls in the same area as people who get pissed when they hear someone talking about "the sunrise".

Of course the sun isn't rising; the earth is turning.  But if you're gonna get all pissy about it, you're just being an assbag.

This
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."