News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Obama asserts the right to assassinate American citizens who pose security risk

Started by Cain, January 27, 2010, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on February 02, 2010, 02:37:52 PM
Sure is a good thing American intelligence agencies such have a stellar track record of telling terrorists from civilians!

I dunno, a successful suicide bombing in a public facility or transport kind of tends to make everybody hard to tell apart.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on February 02, 2010, 03:09:58 AM
Uh... This seems to say that our military and intelligence people are allowed to strike al-Qaeda operatives even if they're American citizens...

What the fuck are your panties all bunched up for?

There are 3 people on this list and there's pretty clear evidence that they're taking part in military operations against the United States.

I'm all for due process and I believe calling criminals "enemy combatants" is fucked up, but people who are going after troops and assisting suicide bombers should be considered combatants. If they can't be captured, killing them seems perfectly acceptable to me. This particular issue wasn't a big deal to me when Bush was in office (there were much bigger fish to fry) and, frankly, there are bigger fish fry with Obama as well.

You guys are acting like the CIA or the army is going to break down your door and execute you or something.
Let's act this one out ok??
i'll be the 'merican govt.

"ZOMG Slanket is terrist!"
either Slanket was shot in the ass while cuddling a puppy
or Slanket was bombed in his house teaching his baby son to talk.

now you can reply.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Regret on February 03, 2010, 11:13:15 AM
Uh... This seems to say that our military and intelligence people are allowed to strike al-Qaeda operatives even if they're American citizens...

There are 3 people on this list and there's pretty clear evidence that they're taking part in military operations against the United States.

I'm all for due process and I believe calling criminals "enemy combatants" is fucked up, but people who are going after troops and assisting suicide bombers should be considered combatants. If they can't be captured, killing them seems perfectly acceptable to me. This particular issue wasn't a big deal to me when Bush was in office (there were much bigger fish to fry) and, frankly, there are bigger fish fry with Obama as well.

You guys are acting like the CIA or the army is going to break down your door and execute you or something.

now you can reply.

I can reply but I can't take your post seriously.

Template

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on February 03, 2010, 08:03:51 PM
Quote from: Regret on February 03, 2010, 11:13:15 AM

now you can reply.

I can reply but I can't take your post seriously.

Assassination is a secret act.  Secret things aren't explained publicly often.  If you don't have to answer to anyone, you'll do it how you damn well please.  Assassinations will be done how someone damn well pleases.

I don't want someone else having the privilege of arbitrarily deciding life and death when I don't.

Jasper

Quote from: yhnmzw on February 03, 2010, 09:23:58 PM
I don't want someone else having the privilege of arbitrarily deciding life and death when I don't.

So if Obama gave everyone the right to hire assassins, you'd be okay with it?

Cain

No, its just calculated by the same analysts who managed to imprison three times as many innocent people as suspected terrorists in Guantanamo Bay.

And is done with a weapon which kills 20 civilians for each "suspected" terrorist it gets.

Jasper

The fact is that it is simply more power than the war warrants.  It has no right to spy on US citizens, no right to draft US citizens, no right to station soldiers in the country, and no right to have suspects assasinated.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 04, 2010, 10:30:10 PM
The fact is that it is simply more power than the war warrants.  It has no right to spy on US citizens, no right to draft US citizens, no right to station soldiers in the country, and no right to have suspects assasinated.

that sounds like terrist talk, boy.
you better watchyer back!

Quote from: Cain on February 04, 2010, 07:14:24 PM
No, its just calculated by the same analysts who managed to imprison three times as many innocent people as suspected terrorists in Guantanamo Bay.

And is done with a weapon which kills 20 civilians for each "suspected" terrorist it gets.

The drone air strikes are definitely something that I very strongly disagree with, but not going after enemies because they happen to be from America is a good way to get hit with more attacks.

Jasper

Quote from: Annabel the Destroyer on February 05, 2010, 04:29:31 AM

The drone air strikes are definitely something that I very strongly disagree with, but not going after enemies because they happen to be from America is a good way to get hit with more attacks.

Isn't it specious to imply that you can fight terrorism at home the same way you fight it abroad, though?

Template

Again, there is no gunplay in one's boudoir.  There's no reason to not act in a manner more in line with policing.

Cain

Now you're conflating "not assassinating suspected terrorists" with "not going after" terrorists.  And did you know you can do this thing to terrorists where you can catch and interrogate and imprison them (after a fair trial) which also "deals" with them?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2010, 07:46:51 AM

Now you're conflating "not assassinating suspected terrorists" with "not going after" terrorists.  And did you know you can do this thing to terrorists where you can catch and interrogate and imprison them (after a fair trial) which also "deals" with them?
AKA how do you know they are enemies?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Because some analyst in an office, with a program he didn't code, with input from field agents he doesn't know, from sources whose reliability he isn't aware of, told the President he was a threat to national security!